LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 12:21 pm 

It hasn't happened yet, but honestly, this one wasn't too hard to see coming. With our growing, more developed world, I think this is an inevitable consequence of global industrialization.

Autoweek online article ==> http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/ ... dailydrive

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 2:20 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Anything to generate web traffic I guess...

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 2:32 pm 

Only one of several delusional wanna-be PC utopia's.
Several European countries have announced that they will be ending gasoline sales in the next few decades, 2020 - 2050.
We can expect these dates to be pushed back several times as reality collides with the "Green" fallacies. :ack:
I know that Kalifornia already prohibits older Semi's from being operated there.
Not sure how they can do that as it flaunts the interstate commerce clause, but I do know for certain that they do.
Will be interesting to see the reaction when they try to ban all gasoline cars.
Of course they will start with the classics.......

EDIT: Did the new $100.00 per year registration increase pass?
And the new double taxation as well?
If this lunacy were to somehow happen the loss of tax revenue and jobs would have to be replaced, by what?
And what about the tourist they need so badly?
Moonbeam and his loony supporters are smoking more than MJ, "Pipe Dream" refers to opium!

"The power to tax is the power to destroy!"

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 4:24 pm 

To be honest, I've stopped caring. I'll never buy one of those new computers on wheels--electric, gas, or otherwise--and probably nothing manufactured after 1975.

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 5:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Instead of making the car companies work on finding an alternative I believe any kind of early implementation of this one would simply have the auto manufacturers (at least main stream large auto manufacturers) sitting back and saying to Kalifornia - "Yeah right, we can wait you out!"

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 6:00 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Instead of making the car companies work on finding an alternative I believe any kind of early implementation of this one would simply have the auto manufacturers (at least main stream large auto manufacturers) sitting back and saying to Kalifornia - "Yeah right, we can wait you out!"

Not certain, but I don't think Kali. can forbid folk just bringing in used cars from out of state.
I know they got spanked a few years ago for their former surcharge.
So maybe they will just kill new Kali. vehicle sales and the jobs/taxes that go with them.
Not like anyone would resent that and maybe vote them out of office or anything. :wink: :roll:

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 11:09 pm 

nick47 wrote:
To be honest, I've stopped caring. I'll never buy one of those new computers on wheels--electric, gas, or otherwise--and probably nothing manufactured after 1975.

If this does happen, Nick, I've wondered how long they'd have to grandfather in the existing fleet of gasoline powered cars. There's no way politically that they could ever say, "Gasoline powered cars are now illegal, go buy an electric car." That just wouldn't fly.

For very practical reasons, namely purchase price, repair costs, and on-going maintenance costs, I'm less and less interested in new cars. Having a vehicle I can fix myself is very attractive. Ninety percent of the new features of current cars are not of interest to me. I rarely even use cruise control. I prefer to drive the car myself. I'm with you in spirit on this one.

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 10:32 am 

I lived in Sacramento in the 1960s, and remember the regular brownouts. And from what I've read, their electrical grid hasn't improved much, and they're talking about taking some of their hydro off-line "for the environment..."

The People's Republic of California babbles about mandating all-electric every ten years or so, it seems.

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 11:08 am 

TRX wrote:
. . . The People's Republic of California babbles about mandating all-electric every ten years or so, it seems.

Time is on their side, I'm afraid. In the scheme of things, electrics are going to dominate the future. While we haven't clearly identified the future problems they will produce, what they promise to solve is significant.

For the record, I'm a Californian, and I love cars and I'm a normal citizen with reasonable concern for the environment, but not an environmental activist or tree-hugging radical.

I'm not in love with German cars, and I think our domestic companies have a lot of "smart kids" working for them too, but here are two German manufacturers, who don't have huge volumes of sales in the USA, and what they think the future of their cars sales in North America look like:

BMW Electric Car Architecture ==> https://electrek.co/2017/07/25/bmw-elec ... ture-mini/

BMW Pushes Electric Performance in Marketing ==> https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/bmwi.html

Mercedes to Invest $1B in Alabama for Electric Vehicle Production ==> https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 688721001/

I can't say any component of electric vehicles except their promise of improving the environment excites me, but I think it's going to go that way - much sooner this time than expected. My real frustration is with our politicians, who I would ask, "Why in the hell is California not getting some of these plants if we're going to be the first to endorse and incentivize electric cars?"

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 12:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Lonnie-S wrote:
I can't say any component of electric vehicles except their promise of improving the environment excites me,

Cheers,

And there the evidence seems to be clearly against your statement. All it does is transfer some of the pollution but adds other.

Where/how do you dispose of your AA batteries?

What about your computer batteries?

Now multiply that by thousands of times for each electric car.

What about the heavy metal mining issues plus heavy metal contamination? I gather you must be a fan of strip mining?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 7:01 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:
I can't say any component of electric vehicles except their promise of improving the environment excites me,

Cheers,

And there the evidence seems to be clearly against your statement. All it does is transfer some of the pollution but adds other.

Where/how do you dispose of your AA batteries?

What about your computer batteries?

Now multiply that by thousands of times for each electric car.

What about the heavy metal mining issues plus heavy metal contamination? I gather you must be a fan of strip mining?

You are taking the status quo and extrapolating way into the future. Things change. Currently very rapidly. Globally, solar power is now the cheapest source of electricity, without subsidies.

How do you dispose of your car's lead acid battery? Now multiply that by thousands of time for each electric car.

It will not be necessary to outlaw gasoline. As electrics increase, demand for gasoline will decrease to the point you will be buying it in sealed cans, much like lantern fuel (white gas), which could be purchased at the pump when I was a kid. Or kerosene, which was home delivered by bulk truck.

I've heard that buggy whips are damned hard to find, especially in cities. Don't know for sure, never had occasion to need one.

Bill

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 7:10 pm 

No internal combustion? Then let's go for external combustion steam cars. Jay Leno sure loves them! <Smile!>

PostPosted: September 29, 2017, 7:42 pm 

Quote:
You are taking the status quo and extrapolating way into the future. Things change. Currently very rapidly. Globally, solar power is now the cheapest source of electricity, without subsidies.

In which alternate universe? :roll:
Certainly not on THIS planet!

EV's are a LOT like gasahol, take away the subsidies, count the TRUE cost of production, and they CANNOT compete on a level playing field.
EV's are not nearly so eco-friendly as the propagandist want us to believe.
To be more accurate just think of them as running on COAL! :wink:

If clean energy was the true goal we would be driving hydrogen and propane powered cars, or at least trucks.
I've owned, and do NOT miss, propane powered vehicles.
For Hydrogen you need nuclear power to generate sufficient Hydrogen, OOPS, can't do THAT without offending another branch of the "Green" :ack: tree.

Kalifornia may go full-stupid (More than now!) but fossil fuel will remain the dominant mobil energy source for decades to come, even in Kalifornia.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 7:50 am 

Yes, this planet. There is a world wide market where contracts for future delivery of electricity are made. This past spring, Bloomburg was reporting that solar was the cheapest source on several contracts. Some of the largest and cheapest contracts were with oil rich middle eastern countries. By the way, it would be incredibly helpful if when you criticize subsidies for green energy, you compare it with the subsidies of current energy sources. They are so ingrained and indirect in our system they are difficult to recognize.

Clean energy is not the goal. It is a short term aid to achieve breathable air. Sustainable, clean energy is the goal, unless you plan on terminating civilization. Because the long term non monetary cost (civilization) of dirty energy is so high, it is necessary that short term monetary cost of sustainable clean energy be of secondary importance. Hence the direct subsidies.

The free market takes us down the cheapest, not necessarily the best, path. Sometimes it has to be nudged into the proper direction.

Bill

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 9:12 am 

There is only one small problem. By 2040 and everybody is carrying around a hunderd pound battery. We will run out of the current known world sources of lithium. Of which China has 80% of :oops: Then I guess we will have to go to plan "B". Dave W