LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 12:57 pm 

Now I went and did it! I made a deal on an almost complete '69 MGB GT (sans engine). I've wanted to build one for many years. I want a highway cruiser w/AC and overdrive etc. All the comforts of today with a classic British look. I have not finished the Truckster yet. That will have to be done and sold before I start the work on the GT. Seller and I have agreed to deal sight unseen. In actuality, I have agreed to his asking price. He agreed to take it off the market until I can pick it up and pay him later this month.

I may never catch up to Toobusy or Perry with another "project" to plan and work on. But I'm trying to keep up in my own little way.

Lots of rust worm will need to be cut out and new steel replaced. Then I'll have to figure out how to power this creation. My year's-old plan was of Miata power with all its underpinnings. With the recent addition of a '15 Escape 2.0 EcoBoost to my stable, I may have to rethink my original plan. That thing has power! I have lots of research to do about MGB engine swaps before settling on a path. A V-8 is out of the question.

Stay tuned for updates. Since I haven't actually purchased the car and started to work on it, I think this "Automotive Talk" section is the proper place for my post. If not, feel free to relocate it.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Last edited by rx7locost on July 28, 2018, 11:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 3:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

I've always liked the looks of the B-GT. Owned one for a while, nice little car. Heavier than the roadster, or at least it felt that way, but nice to ride in on cool fall days.

Quote:
A V-8 is out of the question.
Whatcha got against V8s?
Without measuring, I wonder if modern, "tall" inline 4's will fit under the hood. A V6 (or even that V8 you rejected) might not sit as high. The V6 would be shorter length-wise than the original I4, I would think and give more room up front for power steering, A/C, etc. Hmmm....

Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 5:35 pm 

Cool deal, Chuck.

I have always regretted selling our MGB roadster. We bought our oldest girl a MGB GT and I ended up liking it much more than she did. She traded it for an ugly-ass VW squareback wagon. Shortly after that, I had a friend who wanted to sell me his MGC. His was a GT body, not a roadster. Even with the known problems they had, I lusted for it, but had too many other expensive home projects at the time.

For some reason, I've been looking at our Local Craigs's List, mulling over the MGs available locally. There's one that looks like an excellent project, but I have an unfinished Locost and zero space left. Maybe you've been sending me subliminal thoughts - wanting some company perhaps?

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your build.

Regards,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 5:55 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:

Without measuring, I wonder if modern, "tall" inline 4's will fit under the hood. A V6 (or even that V8 you rejected) might not sit as high. The V6 would be shorter length-wise than the original I4, I would think and give more room up front for power steering, A/C, etc. Hmmm....

JDK

I know that the Miata will fit with very little drama. Already seen several of them done. As for the V-6, a friend put a 3.8L Buick in his MGB-GT. Looked like a factory job when he finished!

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 6:21 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
I've always liked the looks of the B-GT. Owned one for a while, nice little car. Heavier than the roadster, or at least it felt that way, but nice to ride in on cool fall days.

Quote:
A V-8 is out of the question.
Whatcha got against V8s?

JDK

I got nothing against a big ol' v8 except for the size and the fuel thirst compared to other engines. Honestly the Buick/Rover v8, which is such a traditional upgrade, has about the same HP as today's DOHC I4's and that's before any boost. If I can get >150 HP, I think there will be enough to have the AC running and still have a little pep left over. This can be achieved with N/A OHC, DOHC and pushrod v6'sLike I say, it will be a cruiser. EFI is a must too, this time with the donor's ECU. I'll have to see what is available when the time comes to make a choice. I'd like AC, cruise, and electric windows if I can fit it in the door space.

I don't care for the dash shape/ layout of the '69's. Maybe I can replicate the shape and layout of the early steel dash cars in a nice piece of wood to match the "personal" steering wheel. I really like the steel dash cars.

I'm just thinking out loud here at the moment.

Lonnie, I've had an MGA roadster and Coupe plus other Brit rust buckets. Never had a MGB. I can't even say that I've driven or even ridden in one. This one should be different from stock in many ways., but still have the Brit feel and smell. What is it about them that makes them smell like that?

ngpmile, both engines are on my radar.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: July 11, 2018, 8:30 pm 

I'm on the hunt for a good BGT or GT6 to put Miata power and AC into. Of course all car projects are on hold for the time being with the house stuff going on. :(

Having driven a friends hot rod Focus with a 2.0 ECOBEAST, you're right, those puppies have power to spare. Her's is set up to stage 3 now running a hot tune and 90% ethanol... scary fast.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 5:56 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Considering your goals, I'd go with a mid-90s firebird single donor 3800 and t5. Common enough and should be easy to find for less than 2k to drive home. Here is exactly what I am talking about:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DonZeigler.htm

Plenty of power available with the v6-60 also and a more common swap. 3.4L with air and efi:
https://www.engineswapdepot.com/?p=14738
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CharlesLong.htm

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 8:41 am 

Tommy, Whoda thunk that we have common dreams? :cheers: This one is not a "good" GT. It will take sills, dog legs, front fender patch panels and probably floors as well to the tune of $1000 in sheet metal alone. :ack: But the price is right and there is a title. :D

MV8, I've got that 3800 engine on my radar too, I just looked, and the cheaper Firebirds currently on CL are auto trans versions right now. Not that I'm ready to pull the trigger right now. Of concern is the engine weight. Internet posted weights of both the 3800 and the original MG engine for comparison, are all over the map. Just like we find here. Nobody lists what ancillaries are included.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 11:15 am 

Just FYI, there's a 1973 MGB GT conversion in process (i.e., it's a project) with a Buick V6 and T5 included here in San Diego, California. It's been on Craig's List for about 60 days, so I'd assume the price is negotiable.

From the photos, it looks pretty decent. However, I have no personal connection or first hand knowledge of the vehicle, etc., etc.

MGB GT/Buick V6 ==> https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto ... 86420.html

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 11:52 am 
Toyotaphobe

GRM did a whole series on a Miata swap to an MGB.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 12:39 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Just FYI, there's a 1973 MGB GT conversion in process (i.e., it's a project) with a Buick V6 and T5 included here in San Diego, California. It's been on Craig's List for about 60 days, so I'd assume the price is negotiable.

From the photos, it looks pretty decent. However, I have no personal connection or first hand knowledge of the vehicle, etc., etc.

Cheers,

That one looks in much better shape than the one I am (should be?) getting. I question the ref to a TR7 though.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 12:49 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
GRM did a whole series on a Miata swap to an MGB.

A couple of running 1.8L Miatas are avail locally for 1,000 and 1,500. One wrecked, the other rusted. Both have manual trans and a/c. I will have to do some research...…. If I go Miata, I would be tempted to do front and rear upright swap, That would take more work. but I'm accustomed to that sort of stuff. I built a Locost for goodness sakes! How difficult could it be? :roll:

Last edited by rx7locost on July 12, 2018, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 12, 2018, 2:00 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
Lonnie-S wrote:

Cheers,

That one looks in much better shape than the one I am (should be?) getting. I question the ref to a TR7 though.

Well, if your deal falls through, and it's still available, I can take a detailed look at it for you.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 14, 2018, 7:17 pm 

I bought a '70 GT last year with the same idea -- more power, five speed, A/C, suspension upgrades. Now that I've driven it for a year, I wouldn't do a thing to it. Such a classic. Great handling on modern tires, drifts around corners with ease. Brings out the kid in me without getting in too much trouble. Any more power and I'd lose my license.

PostPosted: July 19, 2018, 6:18 pm 

nick47 wrote:
I bought a '70 GT last year with the same idea -- more power, five speed, A/C, suspension upgrades. Now that I've driven it for a year, I wouldn't do a thing to it. Such a classic. Great handling on modern tires, drifts around corners with ease. Brings out the kid in me without getting in too much trouble. Any more power and I'd lose my license.
Nick, I understand completely. I had my time with a couple of MGA's. Talk about "classic"! No windows to wind up, No seat belts. No dual-brake system. And the list goes on. I came off my last MGA with the idea to do something completely different. That;s when I built the Locost. Now I want a blend fo the two. Being older, I now appreciate the comfort of both heat that actually works and A/C. I tried to contact sellers of 2 other "projects" that were interesting to me, a Fiberfab Jamaican and a Fiberfab Avenger GT12. Both sellers couldn't be bothered to return inquiries. This MGBGT plan has been bouncing around in my head for some 2 decades for me. Time to put it into action.

Is yours bone stock or have some mods? Want to share any pics of your GT?