LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: January 4, 2013, 6:35 pm 

It is about as finished as it will get, so here are some shots. Build log located here:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8967&start=0

Attachment:
Upload 1.jpg

Attachment:
Upload 2.jpg

Attachment:
Upload 3.jpg

Attachment:
Upload 4.jpg

Attachment:
Upload 5.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 4, 2013, 10:47 pm 

Looking very sharp, Martin.

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 7:24 am 

wow! bet everyone thinks it was a ¨kit¨ huh?

is there anyway you could take a closeup of the right side around the suspension area? just wondering how you made your side panel? the book shows to make the diagonal bend in the panlel along the tube there but their car obviously was left open like your left side panel. (looks like for a filter?)

anyway it looks amazing. i was just looking to get some inspiration/ideas to steal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 10:35 am 

Congratulationson a finished project. Looks great.
I especially like the way the aluminum fenders and wheels go together.

Martin

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 11:44 am 

That is one sanitary looking Locost. Clean enought to eat off of.

Well done! :cheers:

Now what's next on the agenda?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 12:12 pm 

That's the sort of finished project that brings new builders into the fold, well done.

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 4:53 pm 

toyotus wrote:
Wow indeed! I'll bet some people think it's a production car. A beautiful car, and a credit to the Locost species/movement.

I recognize your HF baby-on-board suction cup mirror at mid windshield. I normally drive relying on my side mirrors, since those are what I need when changing lanes etc, but there are times it's nice to know what's straight behind me, plus the law requires a center mirror, and when there was a policeman straight behind me noting my lack of a center mirror it was something of a one-two punch. Anyway, once the officer had demonstrated the practical advantages of a center mount mirror, I got one like you're using...but it's so convex and wide angle it didn't do much for me. How's it working for you?

I know this is more of a Build Log question than a Showcase question, but this is the first I'd noticed it.

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 4:57 pm 

Inspiring. You are quite a craftsman.

PostPosted: January 5, 2013, 8:38 pm 
Always Moore!

Great finished project. :cheers:

Those aluminum fenders look really nice against the white body.

PostPosted: January 6, 2013, 3:20 pm 

Wow...thank you very much for the compliments everyone, very much appreciated!

toyotus wrote:

is there anyway you could take a closeup of the right side around the suspension area? just wondering how you made your side panel? the book shows to make the diagonal bend in the panlel along the tube there but their car obviously was left open like your left side panel. (looks like for a filter?)

anyway it looks amazing. i was just looking to get some inspiration/ideas to steal :mrgreen:

The right side is the same as the left - no panel up front. This is a combination of laziness, concern about potential over-heating (not been an issue to date) and the ability to check welds at a glance. I think I actually like leaving the front open..a touch of the mad-max look.

I get asked the question about it being a kit at just about every set of lights I'm stopped at....I know what it feels like to be the recipient of an accusational look on the guy's face that says "you are lying" when I say it was built from scratch.

rx7locost wrote:
That is one sanitary looking Locost. Clean enought to eat off of.

Well done! :cheers:

Now what's next on the agenda?

I was planning an autocross special but all future projects are on hold until my wife can get back to work from maternity leave (our girl is now 20 months). I'm loving the family time at weekends though and the garage will just have to remain quiet for a while.

JackMcCornack wrote:
toyotus wrote:
Wow indeed! I'll bet some people think it's a production car. A beautiful car, and a credit to the Locost species/movement.

I recognize your HF baby-on-board suction cup mirror at mid windshield. I normally drive relying on my side mirrors, since those are what I need when changing lanes etc, but there are times it's nice to know what's straight behind me, plus the law requires a center mirror, and when there was a policeman straight behind me noting my lack of a center mirror it was something of a one-two punch. Anyway, once the officer had demonstrated the practical advantages of a center mount mirror, I got one like you're using...but it's so convex and wide angle it didn't do much for me. How's it working for you?

I know this is more of a Build Log question than a Showcase question, but this is the first I'd noticed it.

The center mirror really just gives me a periferal reference if there's someone right behind me. There's not a clear image. I had a motorcycle creep up on me once when I had just the side mirrors. They have quite a narrow field of vision (they are 50cc Honda motorcycle mirrors), so he was behind me without me knowing - I couldn't even hear him. The center mirror has solved that issue. I guess it also helps with the law-enforcement officer's quick glance at the car, and lets the officer know there is a "windshield" there.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the kind works. Following all of your projects is inspiring and fun.
Martin

PostPosted: January 7, 2013, 12:43 am 

Quote:
This is a combination of laziness

^That's all i need to hear!^

I figure i'll give the panel a shot with holes for the a-arms, and if i mess it up, then i'll cut it back and leave it open! LOL

Again, it's an amazing car, and impressive from every angle. And even if someone else asks about those panels, you can say; "Thats how Haynes Roadsters are built!" LOL

PostPosted: January 7, 2013, 8:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Martin-
I'm not usually a fan of white paint jobs. But, I've got to make an exception in your case. The white with the ally fenders looks just great! I like the way the white panels/hood are set off against the black dash and boot cover. And that black hood scoop, too! Good combination! That could be a "factory built" car, it looks so perfect. Well done, Sir, very well done!
:cheers:
JD "White is for refrigerators" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 7, 2013, 11:12 pm 

toyotus wrote:
Quote:
This is a combination of laziness

^That's all i need to hear!^

I figure i'll give the panel a shot with holes for the a-arms, and if i mess it up, then i'll cut it back and leave it open! LOL

Again, it's an amazing car, and impressive from every angle. And even if someone else asks about those panels, you can say; "Thats how Haynes Roadsters are built!" LOL

LOL. Yep, sorry for the lack of motivation on that one! If I was to do the panels I would not do around the a-arms. I think that the slightest offset in the openings would exacerbate the error - and I don't think I am skilled enough to get them spot on - that's my thinking anyway. Like you said, they can be cut short if required - go for it!

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Martin-
I'm not usually a fan of white paint jobs. But, I've got to make an exception in your case. The white with the ally fenders looks just great! I like the way the white panels/hood are set off against the black dash and boot cover. And that black hood scoop, too! Good combination! That could be a "factory built" car, it looks so perfect. Well done, Sir, very well done!
:cheers:
JD "White is for refrigerators" Kemp

Hey refrigerators are cool, right?

Thanks both for the compliments, much appreciated. :cheers:

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 4:35 pm 

I decided to take the car to the local autocross for a shakedown. The car was equiped with standard road tires, so I expected a bit of sideways action. With the car set up for street use (soft springs etc.), it did as I expected and rolled a fair bit, enough to upset the torsen diff when cornering really hard. However, it handled really well and I was able to steer with the throttle for about 30% of the course. Managed to get 5 runs in, so a lot of fun was had. Fairly respectible times were put in, considering the lack of grip. While there, I parked it next to a real one (with thanks to the owner David L. for permission to share the pics)...

Attachment:
IMAG0296.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0297.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0298.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 5:51 pm 

Congratulations on the successful first outing. What did the 7 owner think of your car? Did other people assume it was a Lotus too?

On a practical note, and going back to your build log (bottom of viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14587&p=159876&e=159876), I believe you used a conduit bender from Home Depot for doing your rear body hoops, right? Did you also use conduit for the hoops themselves or use 16 gauge steel tubes?

I'm looking for a simple bender (mechanical or hydraulic) to use with 1/2", 3/4" and 1", 16 gauge tubing. My first project with it will be to do some trial seat frames. If they turn out well, I'll build my own seats. If not, I'll buy some.

What sizes of tubing does your bender handle? I don't see any obvious kinking. Did they turn out satisfactorily in your view?

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886