LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nick's MGB Build
PostPosted: January 10, 2014, 10:50 pm 

Lonnie, the tires are 9 years old. They'll turn 10 in late June. I plan to trade them in before then.

PostPosted: January 28, 2014, 8:20 pm 

Licensing step 3 of 4 completed. Sort of. I met with a CA smog ref today, who took copies of my paperwork and pictures of my car, and sent it all off to Sacramento. I didn't know this, but the SPCNS certificate does not guarantee you a smog exemption. It's up to someone in Sacramento. But the smog ref indicated my car would probably be fine. I have to go back in a week or so to actually pay and get my exemption. The DMV designated my car as a 2010 model year. The smog ref called it a 2003. Hopefully it won't matter so long as it's exempt.

Last step in the proccess that started back in November is a brake and light inspection, which I hope to get done later this week. In the meantime, latest upgrades to the Locost:

Vinyl trunk cover
Glove box
Parking light housings
Shortened shifter
Lowered seats

Attachment:
vinylcover.jpg

Attachment:
glovebox.jpg

Attachment:
housing.jpg

I'm also working on an engine cover. I started with a cardboard prototype, and I'm now making it out of fiberglass, which is very slow going, but it's almost ready to be riveted to the hood.

Attachment:
hsaprototype.jpg

Attachment:
hscroughplug.jpg

Attachment:
hshplugandbase.jpg

Attachment:
hsimoldlayup.jpg

Attachment:
hslscooplayup.jpg

Attachment:
hsmoldandscoop.jpg

Attachment:
hsprimeredscoop.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 28, 2014, 8:44 pm 
Always Moore!

Its looking great Nick.

I love the proportions of your car - they're just right.

PostPosted: January 29, 2014, 10:01 am 

ditto on the LOOKS GREAT :D Dave W

PostPosted: January 29, 2014, 10:01 am 

And You get bonus points for the glove box :) Dave W

PostPosted: January 29, 2014, 5:51 pm 

It does all look nice, Nick. Ever consider an opening at the rear of the cover for some additional engine ventilation and cooling?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 6:50 pm 

Belated "congratulations," Nick!

I think I passed my DMV inspection a few days before you. Isn't it nice to be able to jump in and (legally) drive the car you've worked so long on?!?! I've completed all of my small projects, and the only thing left to complete is my grill. I have the CAD file that I need to tweak a little and have talked with a local guy who will waterjet cut the grill for me. Next weekend I'm going to flog it on a 2 mile race track (Roebling Road) and then autocross it in the next month or two...just to see how it handles and performs : - )

-Gar
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14227&start=315

PostPosted: February 8, 2014, 8:41 pm 

Thanks Gar. I've tested the limits of the car a little bit on the street--where appropriate of course--but an autocross would be a lot of fun. I don't have the ultimate in grip with my 70-series Bridgestones, but the handling is amazing, with perfect front/rear balance and very accurate steering. I like cars that you can toss into the turns, and the Locost is the ultimate in tossable.

It's definitely fun to be able to drive legally anywhere you want, anytime you want. For the first month or so I had cooling issues, which restricted the driving to mostly short trips, but now that it's fixed, I find it hard to go two days in a row without driving the car. I've also taken some pretty long trips in it, and could easily go a lot farther.

My brake and light inspection is scheduled for 2 days from now. If I clear that hurdle, I'll take all my forms and paperwork to the DMV and get my registration and tags. My temporary operating permit is up at the end of this month, so it'll be none too soon.

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 6:30 pm 

Okay, this could be it. Licensing step 4 of 4 completed. I picked up my smog exemption sticker last week, and just now passed a rather extensive inspection at my local California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) station. I'm headed off the the DMV shortly to turn in all of my paperwork, and possibly even get the tags.

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 6:49 pm 

:yay: :yay:
nick47 wrote:
Okay, this could be it. Licensing step 4 of 4 completed. I picked up my smog exemption sticker last week, and just now passed a rather extensive inspection at my local California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) station. I'm headed off the the DMV shortly to turn in all of my paperwork, and possibly even get the tags.

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 7:14 pm 
We are Slotus!

nick47 wrote:

And now that you've passed the BAR, I think we should all go to the nearest BAR and have one in your honor!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 10, 2014, 8:31 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
. . . And now that you've passed the BAR, I think we should all go to the nearest BAR and have one in your honor! :cheers:

Hey, JD's buying. Spread the word. :headbang:

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 11, 2014, 9:51 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
. . . And now that you've passed the BAR, I think we should all go to the nearest BAR and have one in your honor! :cheers:

Hey, JD's buying. Spread the word.

Huh??? What??? Uhhh... Wellll... OK... "Barkeep! Bring us one beer and 37 straws!"

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 12, 2014, 1:04 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Huh??? What??? Uhhh... Wellll... OK... "Barkeep! Bring us one beer and 37 straws!"

:rofl: That's a good one, JD. :thmbsup:

PostPosted: February 17, 2014, 1:05 am 

So it's done. I bolted the plates on yesterday, and I'll now repeat the advice given to me by many of those who went before me, to those of you who are still building:

Finish your Locost. It will be worth it like you can't believe.

Attachment:
plates8.jpg

Attachment:
lucasvalley8.jpg

We took a long drive today, out Lucas Valley and past Skywalker Ranch to the coast, and stopped for coffee in a little shop in Inverness, and then drove back through the west Marin hills, finally green now after some recent rains. And before we're done we'll take a million more trips just like that one, to a million more places.

Attachment:
completed8.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next