LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 8:08 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_1290.JPG
hello all, i have just finished a Saker sprint as a road car. Has a turbo 2 litre subaru engine and 5 speed 2WD Subaru transaxle
10 year build but have been told I cannot drive it as I have medical problems.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 3, 2015, 10:40 pm 
The voice of reason

Hi kiwi, welcome to the forum. You've tried to post this a few days ago and I didn't approve it because it was a for sale ad and I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that you are in New Zealand. So it seemed like a long shot.

How about a couple more pictures of how you the engine fit in, I've been curious how hard it would be to fit a Subaru...

Sorry to hear your health issues prevent you from enjoying the car... :(

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 2:47 am 

Thanks for the reply and comments
A couple more photos for your pleasure

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 12:15 pm 

That's a pretty cool looking car, what's it weigh? Probably goes pretty good. It must suck to put that much time into something and not be able to drive it.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 2:10 pm 

Hey Kiwi.

That's a good looking car. I've always wanted to build a mid engine using Subaru drivetrain. Have you weighed the car?
Sorry to hear about the health issues. I'm in the same boat myself; Finished my car a few months ago and due to a hernia, can't drive it. I hope you can get sorted out and get some seat time.

Cheers.

PostPosted: October 4, 2015, 2:36 pm 

Hi,
thanks for the compliments.
the car weighs 1745 pounds. and is completely road legal over here. we have some very tough testing for any car which is a one off. I have driven it and yes. it does get on with it.
Many years ago I lived closer to you guys than now. Port Coquitlam was home for nearly a year.
Kiwi 1

PostPosted: October 6, 2015, 11:15 pm 

kiwi 1 wrote:
Many years ago I lived closer to you guys than now. Port Coquitlam was home for nearly a year.

Small world, but New Zealand seems far away :wink: Question: Do those cars ever wear/break 5th gear? I've always looked at how the block-off plate leaves the 5th gears supported in single-shear only and wondered if it would flex/break under power. A while ago, for mental exercise, I planned a mid-engine Subaru build and figured the block off plate would need to support the 5th gear. Otherwise there isn't much keeping the gears from spreading and wearing/breaking. I'm curious if the Saker cars ever have issues with that or not.

Cheers.

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 1:41 am 

As far as I know there are no problems with the fifth gear. I understand you concerns but as you will probably spend a lot of time in the lower gears and only 'cruise' time in 5th I would think the torque would be reduced which will help gear life
hope this helps
kiwi 1

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 7:17 am 

kiwi 1 wrote:

Enough many years ago, to have been hanging out at Westwood?
Very nice build. :cheers:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 4:03 pm 

yeah, I went to westwood a couple of times, interesting track. thanks for the comment

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 4:28 pm 

C10CoryM wrote:
kiwi 1 wrote:

Small world, but New Zealand seems far away :wink: Question: Do those cars ever wear/break 5th gear? I've always looked at how the block-off plate leaves the 5th gears supported in single-shear only and wondered if it would flex/break under power. A while ago, for mental exercise, I planned a mid-engine Subaru build and figured the block off plate would need to support the 5th gear. Otherwise there isn't much keeping the gears from spreading and wearing/breaking. I'm curious if the Saker cars ever have issues with that or not.

Cheers.

if you look at this page, most cars had overhall in their transmissions. it makes me think that maybe they need a bit of care

http://sakersportscars.com/?page_id=233&lang=en

PostPosted: October 8, 2015, 7:11 pm 

Very nice car, love the style.
I knew a couple of fellows back in the early 70's over in Burnaby on a working visa for a year, when they left one exported a 1970 Dodge Charger 440 and the other a 1970 429 CJ Ford Fairlane, said that they figured to make enough profit from the sale of the cars to buy themselves houses when they got home even with the shipping.
I occasionally wonder if they ever got their houses and what might have happened to the cars, one of those things one will probably never know..

I must say though, I really do like your car.

Al

PostPosted: October 11, 2015, 1:16 pm 

Hi,
A lot of kiwi's did that I had a 70 roadrunner that was being contemplated for that trip but got offered a job at McLaren engines in detriot.
thanks for the comment on my toy.
Kiwi 1