LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: May 4, 2010, 9:35 am 

Hey guys...thanks for the comliments...

16vvincent wrote:

Your roll cage build, how well did it pass inspection at any of the sanctioning bodies that you have had to deal with?
My only real concern is the way that you attached the roll cage at the bottom to the frame rails (the 90 deg tube welded to the plate).

To answer your question...I have not logbooked the car for wheel to wheel competition with any sanctioning body to date, and have only competed in time trials with the car. It easily meets those standards. The attachement at the bottom shouldn't be of much concern. A properly welded joint should be as stong as the base metal and treated as a continuous part. The legs of the mounts are cantilevered at the very minimum required to clear the bodywork. Also, the extensions are of a slightly thicker tube diameter so they are stronger in bending...it's a pretty strong joint...

Quote:

I have just posted somewhere else that mounting bolts in shear for a roll cage are not desirable, but I´m totally uninformed about what the racing rules say.
Have you researched this?

The bolts used for this application are 3/8" Grade 8. Each of them has a sheer strength of 120 ksi. Each side uses six of these bolts to carry the load. If I encounter a force large enough to shear those bolts in a crash, then I will probably have bigger problems than just them failing. The bolt-in roll cage guidelines say thay you must have a minimum of three 5/16" bolts at each attachment point. It does not give a guideline about weather they can be in shear or not.

As everyone knows, these cars pose interesting challenges when fitting them with roll cages. I am a fan of keeping the cage parts further away from me, so they have room to deflect without hitting me during a crash. My design gives me a few precious inches more room, and I feel comfortable with it.

Quote:

And if we're on the subject of asking Jeff some questions, are you driving the car much lately or is most of the time spent on the Civic?
I really like the cage you built in the Civic. Very cool.

Hey Moti,

Good to hear from you. Pretty much all of my time went towards the Civic last year, which paid off in some good finishes and awards at the end of the season. Glad you like the cage...I feel safe in it...and that helps me be more confident in my driving. Unfortunately I have not driven the locost in nearly two years. I am thinking seriously about putting it up for sale in a few months. I am just not able to drive it enough while focusing on racing the Civic. It will give me an excuse to start another project though... :)

Take care,

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

PostPosted: May 4, 2010, 9:54 am 

Jeff:

I was wondering about how well those lower joints would pass inspection. I guess if anything else, one could (as you did) over design / build them.
Beautiful car by the way,
Quote:
I am thinking seriously about putting it up for sale in a few months.
although that would bea shame. Perhaps you should legalize it for the street and terrorize the old folks!

We were also having the "bolt in shear on a cage" discussion in another thread. I ran some numbers using 4 bolts per mounting flange and came to the same conclusion as you did.

Quote:
I will probably have bigger problems

Even at 3 bolts per mount, bolt failure due to shear would be fairly unlikely before last rights were being given.

PostPosted: May 25, 2010, 10:08 am 

Wow. Gorgeous build!

PostPosted: May 27, 2010, 10:10 pm 

So, Jeff, if you sell this thing what are you going to buy?

PostPosted: June 3, 2010, 3:53 pm 

I will most likely put the money "to work" for a while. Eventually, I may buy a bunch of steel to build something else... :)

Project Seven

PostPosted: September 10, 2010, 3:30 pm 

If I had the cash I would buy it in a second, I have always absolutely loved this car.

PostPosted: December 10, 2010, 5:23 pm 

:shock: GREAT looking Se7en!

PostPosted: May 18, 2011, 11:01 pm 

Great car! :cheers:

Those wheels are very cool! What type are they and what are the specs?

-Sam

PostPosted: February 8, 2012, 6:13 pm 

By far my favourite build on the internet and the car that got me properly into locosts, awesome :)

PostPosted: February 9, 2012, 1:49 pm 

littlesammy78 wrote:
Great car! :cheers:

Those wheels are very cool! What type are they and what are the specs?

-Sam

I'm not sure if Jeff still checks this site, but since I bought his car I'll chime in.

The wheels are Diamond Racing spun steel wheels. He sold it with 2 complete sets of 13 inchers. 13x7 front and 13x8 rears, I believe.

PostPosted: October 26, 2012, 1:56 pm 

I'm really interested in how that exhaust setup sounds with the 4-1. Is there any video links for this beauty? The website link provided in the original post doesn't work for me.

Awesome looking car :)

PostPosted: November 29, 2012, 1:56 pm 

Here is a link to where the site currently resides.

http://underwood-racing.com/project_seven.htm

In the videos section, there is one that was shot external at a track event. That should give you a good idea of the sound.

Project Seven

PostPosted: November 29, 2012, 11:24 pm 

Those videos will give you an idea of the sound but it's much better in person, of course. I have a few more videos I'll need to post but the GoPro microphone isn't the greatest.

Aaron

PostPosted: November 30, 2012, 12:58 am 
Always Moore!

A few days ago I saw that the new owner posted a video on USA7s: http://www.usa7s.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8142

There is a good run down the straight in the extra footage at the end. It still sounds good. ;)

PostPosted: November 30, 2012, 12:09 pm 

Aaron,

Great to see you still driving that car on track. It still looks and sounds great. Would love to see some of your footage...even if it makes me start to miss it again.

Project Seven