LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: April 16, 2019, 7:36 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Hi Gray, great to see your post here. Hope to see your car in person sometime.

Let me know when you're in the area! Due to money I only have about a 80 mile range sadly and it takes about 4-5 hours to charge

PostPosted: February 8, 2020, 8:58 pm 

Now that is an awesome build!!!!

PostPosted: May 23, 2021, 5:33 pm 

Gray, stellar work. I think you are the only person whose build video shows the car and the builder growing at the same time. Any data you can share, specifications, especially weight, weight distribution etc and performance? Assuming you used all of the Volt battery, what kind of range do you get with normal driving?

What was the primary design decisions after deciding on battery electric, Miata based and reasonable cost? What came to my mind was putting the electric motor at the differential, the rear battery behind and at the level of the differential and perhaps rearranging the front batteries. The rear shocks are mounted higher than I usually see. Any reason?

Also, why does the front roll bar land at bottom rail level instead of at the top? Is that standard? Another question I have is the length of the steering column. Is that also standard? It seems a bit harpoonesque.

Thank you for sharing your build. It is really great to see.

PostPosted: May 24, 2021, 8:20 pm 

Very impressive! Your video is a great log if the progress.

Any recent progress. Have it on the road and enjoying it? Drive to school to impress your friends? I would make sure you have a nice write up with pictures and links to the video on your college application.

There is a future for those of us who love cars, even ones that run on electrons. :D

Thanks for posting and thanks to Shuzo for bringing this thread to the top.

Regards,
Eric

PostPosted: May 29, 2021, 2:42 pm 

Ohmite et al,
I love the idea of the extreme cornering ability that a very performance oriented vehicle can achieve. Most of the locust creations have limited touring ability, and are more track day or autocross capable. Range is superfluous and acceleration is paramount. Electricity is great for acceleration though autocross is the best application with it's long wait times to allow motor and battery cooling. What I love about this example of battery electric locust is that it seems to be relatively straightforward and allows a new flexibility in design and weight distribution. The Lotus 7 was designed for a purpose, and the replacement Europa for another. I see the Midlana/Europa as the goal I am most excited about. Every journey starts with one step, and this car is the first step I have seen.

PostPosted: June 26, 2023, 2:49 am 

ohmite wrote:
Very impressive! Your video is a great log if the progress.

Any recent progress. Have it on the road and enjoying it? Drive to school to impress your friends? I would make sure you have a nice write up with pictures and links to the video on your college application.

There is a future for those of us who love cars, even ones that run on electrons. :D

Thanks for posting and thanks to Shuzo for bringing this thread to the top.

Regards,
Eric

Hi,

I am currently working on another EV project. I never drove the car to school or around town since I really don't like the attention. I took the project on to learn and it served as a basis for my desire to become proficient in mechanical, electrical and software engineering. I have moved on to a bunch more projects but still have the car to remind me of where I started!

If you want to see what I've been up to since that project:
https://www.gray-kim.com/home

PostPosted: June 26, 2023, 2:56 am 

Shuzo wrote:
Gray, stellar work. I think you are the only person whose build video shows the car and the builder growing at the same time. Any data you can share, specifications, especially weight, weight distribution etc and performance? Assuming you used all of the Volt battery, what kind of range do you get with normal driving?

What was the primary design decisions after deciding on battery electric, Miata based and reasonable cost?

What came to my mind was putting the electric motor at the differential, the rear battery behind and at the level of the differential and perhaps rearranging the front batteries. Also, why does the front roll bar land at bottom rail level instead of at the top? Is that standard? Another question I have is the length of the steering column. Is that also standard? It seems a bit harpoonesque.
Thank you for sharing your build. It is really great to see.

-Yes (I set a budget of $5K on the car so honestly the hardest part of the entire project was patience in purchasing parts for good deals)

-Using the stock Miata prop shaft meant I only needed to ream a custom shaft coupler. It was a simpler (more robust) solution.

-it looked fine in CAD but no reason in particular for the cage and mounting the shocks.

-steering column was extended and plug welded with a steel pin on both sides (to prevent shear failure case)

Looking back at this car I cringe because I have learned a lot (and I really mean a lot)

PostPosted: June 26, 2023, 11:47 am 

Gray-
I was very impressed by your first project and your second looks even better. I see you're expecting to graduate from San Jose State in December of 2024. Good luck on your Mechanical Engineering career.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Roy