LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: June 3, 2009, 3:52 pm 
maxlessca wrote:
Congratulations! Remind me where in Ontario that you live?

Have you started to register your car? If you ever need help with that, let me know.

Thanks for the offer,
I live in Napanee, on Lac Ontario. Registration? So far knock on wood the local licence Bureau has issued a ASD/VIN number, took a photocopy of my bills, and asked me to go get the car safety checked. If it is all they need I should be on the road next week.
Take care.
Philippe

PostPosted: June 6, 2009, 9:46 pm 

Tell me everything about that TDI engine installed, i have teh same pressure to use a greener alternative, except i like the small displacement diesel engines of the Audi, VW variety. Which model did you use and which transmission did you mate the engine with, im in the planning stages right now so im still gathering info.
So far i have the petrol option mostly researched to a donor 240sx with a sr20det motor, and my finance is researching the electric alternative as she works for an electric auto dealer.

on a side note, i love the blue, i used to sail a dabchick back in high school which was painted that color

Frame/Body Design.
Donor Shopping and Tear down.
Start Building.

PostPosted: June 7, 2009, 1:46 pm 
Reahreic wrote:
Tell me everything about that TDI engine installed, i have teh same pressure to use a greener alternative, except i like the small displacement diesel engines of the Audi, VW variety. Which model did you use and which transmission did you mate the engine with, im in the planning stages right now so im still gathering info.
So far i have the petrol option mostly researched to a donor 240sx with a sr20det motor, and my finance is researching the electric alternative as she works for an electric auto dealer.

on a side note, i love the blue, i used to sail a dabchick back in high school which was painted that color

Hi, Thanks for your interest in my build.
My own argument in support of a small diesel engine are: lower CO2 emissions and better fuel mileage, possibility to burn B100 biodiesel a renewable resource. I personally enjoy the feeling of high torque @ low rpm as delivered by diesel engines. On a light car like the locost such feeling goes even further. The diesel engine is a very simple and predictable IC engine. My engine is a VW 1.9 TD (AAZ) rare in the USA. It does not use a computer. You will have more luck with 1.9 Tdi which has a computer controling the injection pump. The Tdi (AHU)is rated 90 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 149 f-lbs @ 1900 rpm is your best bet. It is the engine found on the Golf, Jetta and others. VW diesels are very light, I think that mine weighs 225 lbs, runs an overhead cam, relatively compact and the parts are easy to find. Mine is mated to a Suzuki Samurai 5 speed transmission ( 50 lbs) via an ACME adapter ($300). Good luck with your project. Ask if you need more.

Philippe

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 7:45 pm 

Philippe wrote:
KB58 wrote:
What's it weigh?

Tentatively 1600 to 1700 lbs. This will be confirmed officially next week.

Did you ever weight it?

PostPosted: June 29, 2009, 8:25 pm 

Your front suspension is very unique, I like the innovation and the fact that you can change spring rates on the fly. How is it damped?
-Brad

PostPosted: June 30, 2009, 6:08 am 
golftdibrad wrote:
Your front suspension is very unique, I like the innovation and the fact that you can change spring rates on the fly. How is it damped?
-Brad

Ordinary shocks bolted to lower arm and upper chassis rail (was this your question?). Thanks for your comments.
Philippe.

PostPosted: March 28, 2013, 8:11 pm 

I'm in the planning stage and would like to use a vw tdi donor. Is there a forum or website where someone talks about this sugery and how it went? I've been running plans through my head, but would like to hear from someone who has been there. I'm also wanting to use one of Jack McCornic's Lola bodies and give it a ragtop like my old MGB so it can be my everyday car.

PostPosted: April 4, 2013, 1:57 am 

Disformation wrote:
I'm in the planning stage and would like to use a vw tdi donor. Is there a forum or website where someone talks about this sugery and how it went? I've been running plans through my head, but would like to hear from someone who has been there. I'm also wanting to use one of Jack McCornic's Lola bodies and give it a ragtop like my old MGB so it can be my everyday car.

forums.tdiclub.com is where you'll want to go.

the swap/conversions forum there is full of a lot of really smart people with some fantastic builds

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: November 8, 2013, 7:45 am 

You've built almost my dream car. If you had used the TDI, rather than the TD, it would have been perfect.

I ran a heavily modified TDI for 10 years. In the end, I was pushing 140hp, 250ft/lbs, with 30psi peak and 25psi sustained from the turbo. It was a blast, and I still regret selling it. I'm currently designing a frame for a middy utilizing a modified TDi power plant.

Very cool project and congrats on getting it finished!

PostPosted: May 20, 2017, 6:18 am 

Philippe wrote:
I have finally arrived. I have been at this build for nearly four years and enjoyed every minute of it (almost).
My locost is a 7+ L10, +4.25W +2H made entirely out of steel except for the nosecone and the scuttle in glass bought from COLD in BC. The fairing of the sides was my idea for improving the flow and provide added rigidity to the chassis. All body components were welded in order to avoid rivets. The finishing of the body involved a good deal of body filling which I contracted out. The suspension features 4 quarter eliptic leaf springs and airbags a system remarkably adjustable. The engine is a rebuilt 1.9 L TD diesel VW with a performance injection pump and larger turbo.
What I like best about this car is the effect of a 145 lbs-ft torque @ 2000 rpm . This light car accelerates effortlessly without fuss.

I will be delighted to answer questions if any one is interested.

Thanks to this group for your support and assistance.

Philippe

ps. a few more pictures on this link
http://picasaweb.google.ca/googbrown/Lo ... 0950843714

Hi,
many changes were made to my original build. I now run a 1.9 L Jetta and there was a fair bit of body changes. »Here is a picture.