LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

PostPosted: April 3, 2014, 8:16 pm 

I agree about the doors looking good. Makes my doors look like poo. Russ

PostPosted: April 3, 2014, 9:58 pm 

Looking real good Bill. It will be a lot more comfortable for the trip now. Good job.
:cheers:

PostPosted: April 4, 2014, 8:45 am 

Thanks, Chuck, Russ, Graham: They do cu down the wind buffeting a bit more. The car is getting ALMOST comfortable

Bill

PostPosted: April 5, 2014, 8:35 pm 

Bill,
Just found your post. Car looks very nice. One question if you have time. I'm also using a T-9 tranny from a Merkur. Have to tackle the speedo cable soon. Any help on that issue? I'm going from T-9 to Foxbody Mustang speedo. Bought a cable on line with proper sq. size drive. Have old cone end and cir-clip so at least a start at tranny end.
Thanks,
Don

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 7:21 am 

Don, I use an inductive pickup for the speedometer. The pickup is mounted on the left front wheel. The speedometer is a VDO unit and has worked out quite well. I used my GPS to calibrate it, so it only reads a couple mph fast.

Bill

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 8:51 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You've done a lot more than that, with a full exhaust and extra muffler, new cowl and dash, rear flares, added padding to the seats, front fenders and new wheels. :cheers:

What are your observations, before and after on these mods?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 6, 2014, 4:49 pm 

The fender flares were purely cosmetic. They make the wheel opening appear smaller. They also make the tire appear more centered in the opening.

The front fenders were to keep 'stuff' (rocks, water, etc.) from getting into the cockpit. They help a bit, but clamshell fenders would probably be better.

The new seats were an attempt to get more comfort. They are a slight improvement over what was there before. I can't have too thick of a cushion or I can'get my legs under the steering wheel. I probably should have mounted the steering column an inch or so higher, but it's kind and of late for that now.

The new cowl helped cut down on the buffeting quite a bit. About as much as the top. I wonder if there was an MOT regulation that required a large distance between the occupants and the windscreen. This might explain why it is mounted so far forward in the plans.

The exhaust changes were an attempt to quiet the noise in the cockpit. This was somewhat successful, in that the exhaust noise is now mostly sent out the back. However, I now hear the tire noise, especially when driving on concrete roads. My $12 sound meter still shows about 85-87 DBA in the cockpit at highway speeds.

All this has helped to make the car a bit more comfortable, but that is a relative thing. I can stay slightly warmer and likely a bit drier in the rain, but it's not like being able to roll up the windows and turn on the heat or AC.

Bill