LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 27, 2010, 8:04 pm 

JSullivan wrote:

So the trick to avoiding crotchety, protective fathers is to date older women? Noted. :cheers:

It seems to have become a normal type of thing for my generation... cant say ive dated one, but i can say i have experienced a cougar

On the cool points scale you rank just above Isaac Newton and just under Batman.

PostPosted: January 27, 2010, 10:42 pm 
The voice of reason

I think we need to clean up this thread a bit. Poor Tuck has really had it abused. I am also willing to bet that dating older women has gone on for a very, very long time.

I don't object to the content, just the place...

Tuck, wold you like to have it cleaned up a bit? it's up to you...

PostPosted: January 28, 2010, 12:11 pm 

Tuck I think he's right although my comment was meant as playful bantering. Back to my earlier question though as I'm looking forward to the fact that I may have to sell the first to build the second so to speak. I notice in your second picture {after drolling over your build}that your knees are very close to the steering wheel and in the three quarter front with your daughter that your knees looked splayed out to clear the wheel and dash. You look to be 6 ft.+ in a chapman frame. I love the look of the Chapman car and your build definitly reinforces that opinion. But because the first maybe used as a sacrifice to fund a better build later should I be looking at a Mc sorley frame for the first? By the way I'm only 5'7" but weigh 200lbs. Also as a side note I plan on using a remaned jensen engine with the 5 speed that I have from an earlier project in my keeper does anyone know of someone using that in a Chapman frames?

PostPosted: January 31, 2010, 11:44 am 

octfifty wrote:
Tuck I think he's right although my comment was meant as playful bantering. Back to my earlier question though as I'm looking forward to the fact that I may have to sell the first to build the second so to speak. I notice in your second picture {after drolling over your build}that your knees are very close to the steering wheel and in the three quarter front with your daughter that your knees looked splayed out to clear the wheel and dash. You look to be 6 ft.+ in a chapman frame. I love the look of the Chapman car and your build definitly reinforces that opinion. But because the first maybe used as a sacrifice to fund a better build later should I be looking at a Mc sorley frame for the first? By the way I'm only 5'7" but weigh 200lbs. Also as a side note I plan on using a remaned jensen engine with the 5 speed that I have from an earlier project in my keeper does anyone know of someone using that in a Chapman frames?

Hi octfifty! I am 6 ft and weigh 240 lbs. I quit buying my clothes in the little boys department a long time ago. My car has a tilt wheel which allows me leg clearance. The steering wheel is also 14 inches in diameter. My seats are a little taller than most, but are adjustable . The seats have me sitting a little higher than I should be and I may make a change to something lower. They are however very comfortable. For everyday driving they are fine. I also need to move the gas pedal down a little, I bent it up originally and should have left it alone. I think that the determing factor is how much room you may need in the hips. As far as the Jensen/Healy engine is concerned, if it will fit why not use it?
I went with the 13B because of HP to Weight, and of course the rotary engine is a very small footprint. I hope that this helps and good luck with your build!

Thanks,

Tuck

PostPosted: January 31, 2010, 3:07 pm 
spindlefied

A 13B was my first choice for my locost, but they're not as plentiful up here. I swear it's the perfect motor for these things. Nice job.

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

PostPosted: January 31, 2010, 6:09 pm 

mookie wrote:
A 13B was my first choice for my locost, but they're not as plentiful up here. I swear it's the perfect motor for these things. Nice job.

Hi Mookie! Maybe you should give Ernst at RX-7 World a call. He built my engine and told me that he ships engines to Canada all the time. I think that he told me that he created serial numbers for the 13B's just so he could ship them to Canada. Anyway Ernst did a great job as always, you can find him on the web with a google search for RX-7 World, he is located in Rock Hill, SC. Thanks for looking and good luck with your build.

Tuck

PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 2:48 pm 

Tuck you may have changed my mind. Won't sell the jensen-lotus combo ,but have a chance at an 87 rx7. Man have you got me thinking . Hope you don't mind me staring at you car but you got it right. Worked aircraft for 20 some odd years and the fit and finnish of your project keeps drawing me in. Are the exhaust pipes holding up{no stress cracks on welds}did you have to shift the engine forward for the trans{may have missed?} If so you said the shifter worked out have you done corner weights yet?

PostPosted: February 5, 2010, 8:48 pm 

octfifty wrote:
Tuck you may have changed my mind. Won't sell the jensen-lotus combo ,but have a chance at an 87 rx7. Man have you got me thinking . Hope you don't mind me staring at you car but you got it right. Worked aircraft for 20 some odd years and the fit and finnish of your project keeps drawing me in. Are the exhaust pipes holding up{no stress cracks on welds}did you have to shift the engine forward for the trans{may have missed?} If so you said the shifter worked out have you done corner weights yet?

Hi octfifty! The exhaust pipes have been fine. There are two hangers under the car that you can't see. The mufflers are a combination presilencer forward and muffler aft with 3" diameter pipes that came from Racing Beat. The car really sounds good and is nice and quite untill you push it. The ceramic paint that I put on the header did not work to well, so I am looking for another product to try on that. It is very presentable, but there are some places were it poped off in the first 30 minutes. The engine could have been a little further back, but I am a little maintenance minded, so I put the engine where access to change a starter was good. The rotary engine with its tranny is such a compact package that there is a lot of flexibility in where you mount them. It is also very light, the engine itself only weighs 135 pounds. I have not weighed the corners yet, but when I do I will post them. I also just bought another RX-7 that runs for cheap, got spare parts!!
By the way did anybody see what car won the GT Class at the 24 hours of Daytona last weekend?

Thanks,

Tuck

PostPosted: February 7, 2010, 4:13 am 

mazda

PostPosted: February 7, 2010, 9:22 pm 

richmk1 wrote:
mazda

Hi richmk1! Yes!!! The rotary was the Giant Killer again!!! Of course Porsche won first overall with a V8 powered Porsche DP. Maybe they will change the rules again so that Mazda can run a prototype again. I guess that they still haven't forgotten the win that Mazda had in 1991 at Le Mans with a 2.6 litre 4 rotor. Thanks for looking.

Tuck

PostPosted: June 14, 2010, 4:27 pm 

Hey Tuck, if you dont mind me asking, approximately how much cash do you have into your car? It looks great!

PostPosted: July 21, 2013, 12:14 pm 

Hello to all! I haven't been here in a while and thought that I would post an update after living with my Locost for the last 4 years. First of all I wish that I had done this years ago. The little car has been the most fun you can have with all of your clothes on. Every body loves the little car and I get thumbs up and questions about it everywhere I go. It has also exceded my expectations for performance, handling and just plain fun. The gas mileage is pretty bad at around 16 mpg, but that is the only downside.
I have also managed a SCCA Regional Chamionship for 2012 in E-Mod and am currently tied for first in my region with five more events to go. I am leading my class in a local autocross series with two events left to run. So on top of regular rides in the country the little car has done well on the track.
I had so much fun with this that I decided to build something else, and a little diffrent. How about a AC Cobra with a Mazda three rotor rotary engine. The build is in progress and when completed the car should come in around 1700 lbs and have around 400 HP.
Here are some recent pics. Enjoy!
Attachment:
tuck1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 21, 2013, 12:20 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Looks great! What size are those wheels? They look huge!

PostPosted: July 21, 2013, 12:36 pm 

Nice
Those wheels do look large. I see you did something with the rear fenders that most don't do in that you stopped the front very high. I like the look. Do you find any down side (upside) to that way of mounting the fenders?

PostPosted: July 21, 2013, 12:44 pm 

Hi MYTF! The only downside to the rear fenders is that on a wet road without the the top and doors on, I have been caught a few times without the top and doors, you will get wet from your left armpit to your waist. I may one day change that but it has not been a big deal because if you get caught without the top and doors you are going to get wet anyway.

Tuck

P.S. The wheels are 18X7.5, tires are BFG G-Force front 215-45-18 rear 245-35-18. Also have a set of Hankook slicks that are 14 inch for those special track days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next