LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SUGGESTION! - Tapatalk
PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 7:13 am 

This is merely a suggestion, as I've found myself trying to access locostusa via my phone more often than not. I get an email notification that there was a reply to my thread... i click it, then struggle with reading/seeing the forum as it's not optimized for mobile platforms. Solution? Tapatalk. DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with tapatalk. I'm just a user.

Anyway, it's a plugin that you would download to your forum and would make it available via the tapatalk app on smartphones. The basic version is free, with other paid versions available (not needed). I wish every forum would use it.. but hey.

So, if you (forum owner... dave?) are interested.. here's the site FAQs, so you know I'm not just blowing smoke out my ass, and it's a legit service. http://tapatalk.com/faq.php

If you're not interested, no big deal. I just know a lot of people probably have never even heard of it, so I thought I'd throw it out there. It's a great app that doesn't interfere with your forum in the least, just makes it more accessible to more people.

This build is already locosting a fortune...

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 8:45 am 

Tapatalk is OK...I use it on some forums...but I have a big request. Should the power(s) that be decide to install it here be sure to check the set up so that it DOES NOT fire up the pop up box that says "hey, you can view this with Tapatalk!" It will load with EVERY PAGE unless it is turned off. :BH: It is VERY annoying if you do NOT have or want to use Tapatalk. On another forum I frequent the admin installed it but has it set up now so that the popup doesn't come up. :cheers:

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 8:53 am 

Acerguy wrote:
Tapatalk is OK...I use it on some forums...but I have a big request. Should the power(s) that be decide to install it here be sure to check the set up so that it DOES NOT fire up the pop up box that says "hey, you can view this with Tapatalk!" It will load with EVERY PAGE unless it is turned off. :BH: It is VERY annoying if you do NOT have or want to use Tapatalk. On another forum I frequent the admin installed it but has it set up now so that the popup doesn't come up. :cheers:

Fair enough :). If an announcement is made that it's available on tapatalk, then that should be plenty enough. If people use it, they will use it.

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 12:10 pm 
The voice of reason

Geez guys, we were just getting started on chiseling up some lead screws for our new laser stone tablet engraver.

Keep the suggestions coming. RIght now I'm going crazy just trying to clean up Car9 frame and now present some suspension stuff. :BH: That's keeping me up half the night as is.

So we need to focus on stuff there is a real consensus for and it has to be very low risk. Then we need to find time and for me it would be a few months out. So keep thinking and researching, let us know what you like.

I do have some thought that this forum is not ideally suited to very small screens when it gets technical or has photos of details. And it seems a constant struggle to get the technical content and it's organization up to a high enough level to be truly helpful to people with these projects. I'd like to see something like a layer of stuff to make cookbooks for builds, something like threads that lead you thru problem solving with content from existing threads.

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 1:53 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I do have some thought that this forum is not ideally suited to very small screens when it gets technical or has photos of details.

This is true, but having the functionality for those who would use it, would be nice. Especially since it's free. I could understand hesitation if it wouldn't do any good for the forum, and it cost something to implement!

PostPosted: July 13, 2012, 4:11 pm 

Not about tapatalk, but I'll share my solution for viewing this site when away from home. I've given in and bought a tablet for addressing all those times I just want to do some web browsing or just want to look something up quickly without resorting a laptop or PC; and also for web use while traveling. I also have an Andriod based smartphone.

What I've found, is that Android has a built-in option for turning a phone into a mobile wireless hotspot, and also has all of the typical security options. So I'm able to pull out my tablet almost anywhere, and via my phone have, good access to most website content without needing to try and browse on a tiny 4"-4.5" smartphone screen. And the larger screen and zooming features are great for sites like this, where picture detail can be really important. It's not a solution or direct substitute for phone browsing in all situations, but it is a great solution if you already have or are willing to collect the gear. And I find it works especially well when travelling.

PostPosted: July 14, 2012, 9:08 am 

erioshi wrote:
Not about tapatalk, but I'll share my solution for viewing this site when away from home. I've given in and bought a tablet for addressing all those times I just want to do some web browsing or just want to look something up quickly without resorting a laptop or PC; and also for web use while traveling. I also have an Andriod based smartphone.

What I've found, is that Android has a built-in option for turning a phone into a mobile wireless hotspot, and also has all of the typical security options. So I'm able to pull out my tablet almost anywhere, and via my phone have, good access to most website content without needing to try and browse on a tiny 4"-4.5" smartphone screen. And the larger screen and zooming features are great for sites like this, where picture detail can be really important. It's not a solution or direct substitute for phone browsing in all situations, but it is a great solution if you already have or are willing to collect the gear. And I find it works especially well when travelling.

Yes, a tablet would be ideal, but you can also use tapatalk with that (if for nothing else, then to have all your forums in one place). -- That being said, usually there is a charge from your mobile provider to be able use the mobile hotspot. Of course, if your phone is rooted and all custom, I'm sure (positive) there is a way around that. Aside from that, I'm not sure the hotspot feature will work without paying extra for it (30/m from verizon, last I checked).

"Wireless Internet Access
Select one of the following features:
Mobile Broadband Connect and Mobile Hotspot for 4G LTE Smartphones
Use your Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone to get online access and share your data allowance with multiple Wi-Fi-enable devices. "

But, tapatalk would allow those of us who can't drop 400-700 on a tablet right now, to be able to see the forum on a smartphone easier and more efficiently.

Thanks for bringing up that option though, it's good to have all of these options in one place!

PostPosted: December 15, 2013, 5:25 pm 

Hi and Hail all Administrators for Locost USA,
As presented , mysmallwheels salutes this work in progress.
Now that I've spread all the butter I brought, I have a humble suggestion;
?An index? I started reading and using a card file in 1957. It was a big wooden case of skinny, long drawers packed with information cards, designed for reading with the "Mark I Eyeball". There are 30-40 great ideas (there are sooo many great ideas: I won't cop to stealing all of them!) that I go back to many times. Finally started making notes in my bio degradable spiral notebook margins, but sometimes my pencils and crayons smear. A traditional index, entries by submitter with a time margin "to be approved" by overworked, and underpaid (you believed me about having no more butter, didn't you!) Administrators. Sounds simple, when explained by a techno nada dinosaur; probably isn't, as I haven't seen such elsewhere either. I want to nominate MYTF's swirly headers as first entry.
Merry Christmas to my personal "League of Extraordinary Gasaholics",
:mrgreen: mysmallwheels :cheers:

PostPosted: December 15, 2013, 9:08 pm 

erioshi wrote:
I've given in and bought a tablet

Not all of us want to carry another device around with us. I already carry my phone and laptop because there is no tablet that can do what I need to do on the laptop and I need the phone for work.