LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 11:21 am 

Quote:
Tried to post the same pic in answer to a question from Trochu today, and had to resize the pic in order to put it into his log.

JD, You don't have to repost a photo for use in a different thread. All you have to do is link to the photo. Go to the photo in your original post. Right click on the photo, and then cllick on properties. Copy the URL. Then go to the new thread and click in the "IMG" button. Paste the copied info, and Violla! The photo shows up in both threads but only takes the file server space of one. And they will never be lost!

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 12:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

Thanks, Chuck... And "duhhh"... I didn't know that.... :oops:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 12:52 pm 

thats the basic trouble with modern technology, it starts out with the best intensions but soon degrades to somewhat medeocurre usfulness.

this is a clear example of being down graded, what happens when they limit the amount of text we can post?

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 1:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

GonzoRacer wrote:
Thanks, Chuck... And "duhhh"... I didn't know that.... :oops:

Follow-on question: If the "old" picture in my build log (for example) was too big for the "new" size limit, would the link work?

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 1:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

Testing 1, 2, 3...
This is only a test...
Yep, it works. We now resume normal programming. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been directed to the nearest "Chinese Bride For YOU" website...

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 1:34 pm 

congratulations on your recent marrage, good luck to you and youre new bride

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 1:38 pm 

Nice try. Problem JD, is that image is less than 100K. :BH: You'll have to try someting else....

BTW, did you know there are only 2 webpages found in Google for "Chinese bride for you" :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 2:00 pm 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
Nice try. Problem JD, is that image is less than 100K. :BH: You'll have to try someting else....

BTW, did you know there are only 2 webpages found in Google for "Chinese bride for you" :cheers:

Second try, 114 KB (Pic ain't near as purty...)
I'm barely strong enough for "Hot and Sour" soup, so I'm sure I have no bizness looking for a bride like the picture. So, no, I didn't know there were only 2 websites for them. Nope, never looked... Not me... :mrgreen:

Is it odd/interesting that linking to a pic larger than 100K isn't a problem? I guess once it's on the server, it's there, even if the rules change. That's a good thing.

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 2:59 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
Testing 1, 2, 3...
This is only a test...
Yep, it works. We now resume normal programming. If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been directed to the nearest "Chinese Bride For YOU" website...

You guys are so behind the times. It's now an American bride for you (the Chinese). We are close to being a third world country so our nubile young girls are headed for the rich countries so they can have a good time.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 28, 2013, 3:25 pm 

Ah-ha! I knew you guys were in love with her. While I've got T-shirts older than her, I will have to say she is really adorable.

The deal with the link (URL) is that it is just a short piece of text. Literally something like "//http: blah, blah, blah ..." and maybe 60 characters or so in length. That takes at most 2x60 bytes, which in zip in terms of computer storage. That's why you can get away to "pointing at it" with a URL versus loading it now that these restrictions are in place. I suspect the new limits are an accident and a function of some server/database maintenance, not a plan. I could be wrong though.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 29, 2013, 12:06 am 
Toyotaphobe

And this is why it's best to have the photos downloaded to the site instead of another site.

This is from a picture loaded within the past few days and it's already MIA.

I'm just presuming everything will work out all right on the continuing saga of suddenly having a size limit on pictures we attach.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: January 30, 2013, 11:44 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

Sorry I've been offline -- family emergencies have mostly settled by now.

I checked the settings in phpBB, and it appears we're set to allow images up to 512 KB, which sounds about right to me.

phpinfo shows a max file upload of 2 MB.

Not sure what else to check.

Testing a 150 KB photo, although I think mortal restrictions don't apply to deity admins...

Ah-hah! I got the error, too! This is a good thing, as it will be easier for me to test.

Hmmm....

-dave

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: January 30, 2013, 11:45 pm 
Man of Constant Hazard

And, oooohhh what a great picture it is. Pity y'all can't see it.

...nowadays people are so intellectually lazy and lethargic that they can't build ANYTHING with their hands. They'll spend hours watching whiny people marooned on an island, but won't spend a second adding anything to the world. -weconway
Visit my [Locost 7 build log]

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 12:26 pm 

has anyone noticed how quickly "new posts " disappear,

if i post a question, and it's not answered for a day, it disappears from new posts.

either no one wants to read anything i post or the list is being edited.

i have missed things that i wanted to read that were posted but disappeared and i missed them

sometimes there are as few as one post in "new posts" remember what i said about reducing the amount of text.

for example, if anyone posted just before midnight yesterday 2nd eastern time, your post was either answered of it is gone from new posts thats 3 hours befor pacific time.

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 1:04 pm 
Toyotaphobe

That might explain why I see so many posts on the "active topics" list. I click there every so often instead of just using new posts.

I do like the fact that once I've seen them they are no longer new posts to me. At GRM they stay new posts for X amount of time whether I've viewed them or not so it appears like I haven't read it and I waste a lot of time clicking over to no reason.

I can explain it to you,