LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Editing Time Limit
PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 1:07 am 

Perhaps instead of addressing this as a "cooling off" period issue, why not look at it from the perspective of length of time before we start to loose valuable information?

I know I've seen posts, pictures and links disappear, and even one or more pages of at least one build log. That said, I think that the majority of the time when I've seen posts with real content disappear, it's usually been after days or even weeks.

In that context, having a 24 or even 48 hour editing time limit would be acceptable to me. I guess I'm alright with members correcting their speeling* & gramar* .. I frequently do it myself. And the idea of editing posts that were made in anger to "soften" the content is fine with me. I know I have had my moments, thankfully long ago and not on this forum. I further don't believe that locking in posts that show our members in their worst moments will add any value to or in any way improve our community.

Just my thoughts...

* Yes; silly, intentional errors for effect...

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 5:15 am 
Toyotaphobe

+1

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 11:09 am 
Toyotaphobe

And we just saw one member want to edit the price of the car he was selling and couldn't.

The more I think about it the less I like the time limit.

I think it's the answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

Note: I edited this post cause I can't always remember it all when I'm writing plus I tend to make misteaks.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 9:11 pm 
Always Moore!

carguy123 wrote:
And we just saw one member want to edit the price of the car he was selling and couldn't.

I don't see why editing the first post in a for sale thread is a necessity.

I've sold plenty of stuff online and anytime I've wanted to drop the price I replied to my thread which also bumped it to the top. If you only edit the first post it will stay where it is.

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 9:47 pm 

well we've had all sorts of problems with this forum since it changed servers,

can't log in, cant access the site, FORBIDDEN etc,

is this something else that will make this very very good forum just like the others, full of midless chit chat instead of meaningful descussion about things that are dear to our heats?

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 9:48 pm 

in the last paragraph, the word midless should red mindless

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 9:49 pm 

sorry, tin my last post the word red should be read.

you see the point of my comments

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 9:50 pm 

this wn't go on forever.

are you getting my poiny

this is just light hearted banter but it may not stoop there,

it could be something impotent but thats another story

PostPosted: October 3, 2013, 11:50 pm 

I help manage another car forum. We've had a 24hr edit limit for about 3 years, give or take. We have virtually no membership complaints, and it seems to ward off most of the ghost posts we've encountered in the past. 24 hours has seemingly settled into a fair compromise.

PostPosted: October 4, 2013, 1:00 pm 

I am a member of another site that has 15 minutes or until a follow-up post is made (I think). That is too short. I sometimes cannot complete my edits in such a short period of time. Sometimes I get called away from the computer in the middle of an edit. However, I never wrote to complain to them about it. I figure it is their site, they control its operating parameters. So having "No Complaints" is not necessarily an accolade. I guess that concept can hold true here too.

As an aside, I was searching my build log today for a specific item that I had posted a couple years ago. I found the post where I written about comparing two photographs. Unfortunately I only posted one of the photos at the time. Today, I cannot add the second photo, not that anybody missed it. However, it would be nice to be able to clean up the old post for others. You never know how long it will take before you find something that needs editing.

Sometimes the links to photos posted off-site can be lost due to several reasons. When that happens, a time limited edit period, will prevent them from ever being re-linked by the original owner.

If I have a vote, I'd vote for the old way with unlimited time period edits. I can live with the few complaints about short tempered posters who take back what they wrote. Yeah, it is disturbing for the short term. However, the benefits of unlimited editing time outweigh the con's. IMO

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 4, 2013, 3:56 pm 

I just had a case where the example fits in here ..

I posted some pictures of my 3 wheeler design, came back 20 hours later with updated pictures of the design and thought i would take pressure of the server by deleting most of the first post pictures and a note for people interested to look further down for those updates..... nope.

I also have a belief that my writings belongs to me and I should be able to change it or remove it whenever I want to.

PostPosted: October 4, 2013, 6:26 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
If I have a vote, I'd vote for the old way with unlimited time period edits. I can live with the few complaints about short tempered posters who take back what they wrote. Yeah, it is disturbing for the short term. However, the benefits of unlimited editing time outweigh the con's. IMO
cheapracer wrote:
I also have a belief that my writings belongs to me and I should be able to change it or remove it whenever I want to.

Respectfully agree with the opinions above.

Build log http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12374
Completed build showcase http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16865

PostPosted: October 7, 2013, 5:01 pm 

If there's a way to have a "Last edited on ...." line auto-attached when one edits, that would give folks a heads-up that responses may have been based on earlier versions of one's post.
cheapracer wrote:
The halls of Congress are filled with folks who agree with you, as does cboettch...as do I with one qualification, which is that our readers should be aware that we changed our words. In the political world, folks prefer to change what they said and then pretend they never said anything different. That's not much of an issue on LocostUSA (though I think people are more tactful when they know their posts will be permanent, we don't have much name-calling or other tact-lacks here) but there's sometimes confusion when people change (or withdraw) their technical commentary to reflect later knowledge, which can make nonsense out of responses which were originally sensible and informative.

Unlimited take-backs promote sloppy writing and sloppy thinking, and harsh generalizations such as...well, such as "unlimited take-backs promote sloppy writing and sloppy thinking," which I'll probably edit out later. Because I can.

PostPosted: October 7, 2013, 6:18 pm 
Toyotaphobe

JackMcCornack wrote:

Unlimited take-backs promote sloppy writing and sloppy thinking, and harsh generalizations such as...well, such as "unlimited take-backs promote sloppy writing and sloppy thinking," which I'll probably edit out later. Because I can.

And I see it just the opposite. The take-backs constantly refine the writing and makes it much clearer so other people can understand it.

I've already found several of my posts that looked perfectly fine when I wrote them, but later I found I'd left out words or wrote it differently in my head than my fingers wrote it on the page.

I don't like this short time limit at all!

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: October 7, 2013, 10:23 pm 
Always Moore!

carguy123 wrote:
I many times cringe an hour or a day later when I read one of my posts and I want to correct grammar or make clearer

carguy123 wrote:
I'm of the opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

carguy123 wrote:
+1

carguy123 wrote:
The more I think about it the less I like the time limit.

I think it's the answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

carguy123 wrote:
I don't like this short time limit at all!

The horse is not only dead but it has been made into puree - we know where you stand. Heck you should become a politician; keep it up and I'd vote for you (no flip flopping here)! ;)

This is the first message board I've been on where people were allowed unlimited editing. Unfortunately what has happened here is what lead 95%+ of other message boards to set the same limits.

I don't care what belongs to who but it is unfair to future builders that people can take stuff back and prevent the spread of knowledge especially since it is knowledge that can prevent someone from killing themselves and ruining the hobby for all. What prompted this falls right into this category.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next