LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 4, 2015, 2:47 pm 

botbasher wrote:
zetec7 wrote:
I could, personally, fill a "lessons learned" section with "don't do this..." entries!
OK... but we have to set ground rules... Anything that starts with: Hey Y'All... Watch this! is automatically disqualified!!

K :rofl: S

How about if it starts with "Here, hold my beer...I'm gonna try something!"?

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: November 4, 2015, 3:29 pm 

zetec7 wrote:
How about if it starts with "Here, hold my beer...I'm gonna try something!"?
Nope... That's right out the door too!! :cheers:

K "Can't Fix Stupid" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 1:10 am 
Toyotaphobe

botbasher wrote:
zetec7 wrote:
I could, personally, fill a "lessons learned" section with "don't do this..." entries!
OK... but we have to set ground rules... Anything that starts with: Hey Y'All... Watch this! is automatically disqualified!!

K :rofl: S

Dang there goes every post ever made by JD/Slotus. And what would be the fun in that?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 10:14 am 

carguy123 wrote:
Dang there goes every post ever made by JD/Slotus. And what would be the fun in that?
That does narrow the pool of examples by quite a fair margin, huh?

Maybe we just use the door sill rather than a bar for them? :skep:

K "JD is the bomb" S

Check out Firearm Finishes & Coating for options to ceramic coat your Locost parts. Hundreds of stock or custom colors including Chrome and Clear Coating options now available! High Temp options for hot bits!! Plastics too!!

Never become a pessimist. A pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events.-Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 12:30 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
Doing IT projects at work, there is always some earnest-looking project manager who nags the techs (techs = those who really know how to do the project) to keep a "lessons learned" document.

However, in practice, there is rarely a "lessons learned" meeting, and if it does happen, no changes are ever made in a project plan, let alone budget, staffing, management, etc.

And the document does when the project dies if not long before.

Can this post be removed? Every time I read it I get irritated and tempted to respond. I spent my last ten working years as a technical project manager for electrical design on the 787, and I like to think that I "really know how to do the project". I don't always get it right the first time though.

And right, the 787 was late, largely (IMHO) the result from failure to apply lessons learned from other development programs.

Jack of many trades
Master of unfinished projects
build blog/log at https://jerryslocost.wordpress.com

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 2:13 pm 

JerryH wrote:
Can this post be removed? Every time I read it I get irritated and tempted to respond.
Welcome to the Locost Forum!!! Where things live on in infamy for ever!!!

You just have to let it go and think about the build! KB58 and I had a running gun battle for a while and it got to the point where some of the admins asked (polite words here) us to knock it off. We sat in our own corners for a day and then went on about our merry ways.

Don't let anything others say bug you. If you don't like it... just ignore it and move on. I've been on many forums (gun, car, R/C...) and there will always be posts you hate, but this group is 2nd to none in their efforts to help... even if there is an occasional technically annoying post!!

If it really is that bad (in taste or offense), you might try PMing the original poster and ask them to edit it into a **removed**... we can always edit our own posts. Admins can delete, but the content would have to be universally offensive otherwise it puts them in a censorship role and none of us would like to be put there!

As the great Bobby McFerrin sang... Don't Worry... Build Happy! :leave:

K "loosing it" S

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 6:06 pm 

Good advice. I guess that I am being a little thin skinned. Thanks.

Jack of many trades

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 8:46 pm 

Jerry, not to take this off topic, I think in a business, a lessons learned transfer of knowledge is a good thing. We (back when I worked for a roof over my head and food in my stomach) had a similar thing called "Lunch & Learn". An engineer (SME) would share their recent experiences and surprises or just plain knowledge over an informal lunch meeting. As in any such meeting, If every participant took away just one item, then we are ahead. And so it should be here.

In formal documented form, I think a corporate "lessons learned" is the same as a how-to manual. This is where all the noob's must follow but the more senior (in years at the company) either ignored or were less bound by tradition. The most successful project that I have seen was one where there were no rules or corporate BS. Sort of a Skunkworks type plan. I have to admit that the next 2 project done on that format were utter failures.

My point is, a willing and ingenious builder, or project manager for that matter, will always find a way to get the information they need to get things done. Your inquiry in this matter shows you are one of these. However, no formal document or "lessons learned" manual will help those who don't seek it out. I look forward to your build.

Now back to our regularly scheduled build........

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 5, 2015, 9:31 pm 

Please read my email. My apologies.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

Last edited by geek49203 on November 6, 2015, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 6, 2015, 9:28 am 

I have a lesson learned, don't go nuts when welding your tubing together. Take breaks and change where you are welding across your work piece (frame) to distribute the heat and allowing other joints to cool. you will have less chance of having welded a twist in you frame.

Did this to a Go-Kart then to a racing chassis when I first started. Not a fun fix.

Also if possible. clamp an aluminum block near you weld for a heat sink.

:cheers:

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: November 6, 2015, 4:53 pm 

geek49203 wrote:
Please read my email. My apologies.

Apology accepted. Now to get back to work.

Jack of many trades

PostPosted: November 6, 2015, 5:02 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

botbasher wrote:
... You just have to let it go and think about the build! KB58 and I had a running gun battle for a while and it got to the point where some of the admins asked (polite words here) us to knock it off. We sat in our own corners for a day and then went on about our merry ways...

K "loosing it" S

Huh, it couldn't have been that bad because:
1. I don't remember what it was about.
2. You aren't on my Ignore List.

PostPosted: November 6, 2015, 5:09 pm 

KB58 wrote:
Huh, it couldn't have been that bad because:
1. I don't remember what it was about.
2. You aren't on my Ignore List.
K :cheers: S

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 8:29 am 
We are Slotus!

botbasher wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
That does narrow the pool of examples by quite a fair margin, huh?

Maybe we just use the door sill rather than a bar for them?
I think my entire build log goes in the category of "I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can actually do it!" :roll: Personally, I think lots of builders have gone through some of the same screw-ups that Team Slotus has, it's just that not everybody posts 'em!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 30, 2015, 12:36 pm 
The voice of reason

In this case we'll start the post with a drink. :) I just have to say that both JD and I draw on a deep reservoir of physics education, for us, engineering school started way before college. Countless hours spent in front of the education box. Absorbing deeply all the lessons explicit and otherwise offered by distance learning services like Hannah-Barbera. Things like how much distance do I need before this explodes or how much distance past the edge of this cliff before I notice.

The education offered by Youtube these days to children pales in comparison to what we got from our durable little friends, Wily Coyote and Curly. Those guys went the distance, and that's how JD and I do it too.