LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 20, 2024, 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 16, 2012, 9:24 pm 

hello Locostusa forum residents, just a few pictures of my volvo powered Locost 7 project enjoy. -fergust

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: June 17, 2012, 1:41 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome.

There is a trend with a bunch of members to build strong windshield hoops for deer protection. I know my Dad totaled a Toyota with a deer incident a few years ago. These cars are smaller...

Looks like a nice project, feel free to give us more pictures. You can start a thread in completed builds. I don;t know how completed these things ever are . but that's another subject.

Congratulations!
:cheers:

PostPosted: June 20, 2012, 12:47 am 

What do you guys think a car like this could sell for?, just curious if anyone has a suggestion, I can provide more pictures too if there is something specific on the car you would like to see. -fergust

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 8:49 pm 

Post a bunch more build pics and tell us where you are.

PostPosted: August 13, 2012, 11:48 pm 

Yes more pics please!

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 12:56 am 

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i372/fergust4/

Here I added 18 new photos of different aspects of the build. I really love the lotus 7 design because the bottom of the car is perfectly flat, in mine I even made sure the oil pan didn't hang lower than the bottom of the car.

The diffuser is completely functional, really like that detail. And I really tried to beef up the cage beyond what I typically see on the web. When I see a 7 with just a roll bar than stands only 3 inches above the headrest I get the shivers. When I'm fabricating this cage I try and envision tumbling off the road and the different forces affecting the structure.

The A-pillar is a piece of one inch solid steel from the inner core of a strut. The advantage here is much less material to look around during hard cornering. Also since the piece is solid steel, it compliments the strength of the bigger hollow tubing used for the rest of the cage.

Also unique to this build is the rear bumper design. Using free metal from a broken swingset a friend gave me, I got creative and artsy with that one. Had I bought that metal retail I probably would have paid 3-4 dollars a foot minimum. In my experience it's extremely valuable to take scrap metal when its available. I have different bins for different size scrap.

I'm really a fan of rivets as you can probably tell. I see zero cars on the road utilizing rivets and that is depressing. I found a case of 500 rivets at harbor freight for 5 dollars, and I was used to spending 6 bucks for 50! I've seen an occasional riveted race car in magazines with rivets at maybe 3-4 inch spacing, but I'm a firm believer in one inch spacing on these things.

There is also one photo of a custom hub I TIG welded for this car. Taking the Volvo 740 hub (which isn't dual wishbone) I had to fabricate the part to fit dual wishbone, and have a solid mounting point for the fender. Had I researched this before hand I could have saved a lot of trouble.

Enjoy -fergust

PostPosted: October 1, 2012, 8:55 pm 

Steampunk, I love it!

PostPosted: October 4, 2012, 10:55 pm 

Mad Max meets Locost! :D

Which way does the air flow through the inter cooler?

:cheers:

PostPosted: October 5, 2012, 5:02 pm 

Intercooler flow is from left side (facing front of vehicle) towards the right side (intake manifold side). Mad max is one of my favorite movies, I prefer the theme of steampunk. Will work on posting more pictures, hope the link is working well for you. -Fergust

PostPosted: October 5, 2012, 6:24 pm 

Fergust, where in the world are you?

PostPosted: October 5, 2012, 6:48 pm 

I think the question regarding flow through the IC was meant to ask if the air is forced through the core from the back of the hood or if there was ducting to force air up and out over the windshield... or does it kind of work on a vacuum, being situated in the low pressure area right in front of the windshield... getting the air sucked through instead of blown...

PostPosted: October 5, 2012, 7:58 pm 

krepus wrote:
I think the question regarding flow through the IC was meant to ask if the air is forced through the core from the back of the hood or if there was ducting to force air up and out over the windshield... or does it kind of work on a vacuum, being situated in the low pressure area right in front of the windshield... getting the air sucked through instead of blown...
Yes I did mean the cooling air through the IC (not the internal air flow). The reason I asked is that I would expect a high pressure (at least higher than across the hood) area in front of the windshield and what might be a high pressure area in front of the firewall.

I had to move an air pressure sensor hose from the firewall to a connection into the air cleaner which affected my air/fuel ratio.

PostPosted: October 6, 2012, 5:46 am 

Do I have my pressures backwards? High at windshield, not low?

PostPosted: October 6, 2012, 6:59 am 
We are Slotus!

Psst, Krepus-
Yeah, bass-ackwards... hi press at base of windshield... That's why NASCAR uses that area for air inlet to the engine... :wink:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 6, 2012, 8:26 am 

Daggonit... shoulda stayed in school... :cheers:

Thanks for the education, fellas!