LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 26, 2024, 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: September 28, 2014, 8:55 pm 

Its a 64 , known as the jfk car by most, im doing the bodywork and paint on it .

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 3:32 am 

So, back working on the car, well I have been for a few weeks now.I have taken the rear hub carriers off to get them finished as I had not made the front plate but instead I had just tack welded on flat stock to hold on the original z rear hubs so I could get the rear arms built.Im sort of finishing stuff that was never finished and changing things here and there.I decided to mig weld my roll bar, I was going to tig it but I need to crack on with this thing and stop fussing over the small crap.I moved the steering collumn up and back , it was in the wrong place and needed to be changed.I have decided against using wilwood rear rotors and calipers for 2 reasons, cost ..and the fact that I have the z stuff sitting on a shelf .Im aiming at doing inboard front shocks on the front using bike shocks, thats next on the chopping block.Anyway heres a few pics .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 3:35 am 

These are the caipers im using, single piston rears.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 3:42 am 

Because the hubs are threaded , I had to order 12mm x 1.25 x30 allen bolts for the rear hubs, they just arrived today so I was able to center the hubs and weld the face plates on, only 3mm or 1/8 th between the head of the bolt and the inside of the upright steel ring.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 3:44 am 

The hubs with one of the caliper brackets I made.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 3:46 am 

Next job is to mount the caliper.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 4:05 am 

Another thing I got done was fit the clutch and brake master cylinders.These are off the 350z .The clutch master Cylinder is going to be fine , but if the bore size is not right for the 4 piston Wildwoods up front, its an easy fix.I made the plate between the pedals and master Cylinders a bolt in peice that can be removed and re made to accept a different master Cylinder, When I made the floor plate, the one the pedals sit on , I welded the bolts so they are going up thru the base of the pedals making each pedal removable by just unbolting them inside the car, making it a one person job , so basically you can remove all 3 parts of the braking and clutch system, by yourself, individually.

PostPosted: December 5, 2014, 4:09 am 

The steering wheel now 4 inches further back and around 4 inches higher than I originally had it, looking back it was crappy where I had it.

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 3:16 am 

Looking good Wayneo

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 3:50 pm 

Wow, You actually used that tubing I got for you. Looking good.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 10, 2014, 11:39 pm 

Thanks jay, its moving along slowly ,the usual things in life get in the way but im making progress when I can..hows your car running?

Tom , yeah worked out great, I I'm made a jig for the plasma cutter , the tube spun on rollers and i fixed the torch and it cut a pretty decent ring off, then i just trimmed them down on my neighbors lathe..and hows the car running..is it a superformance?

PostPosted: December 11, 2014, 12:36 am 

Yeah an S-1. Runs great. Ran up a gainst a new Shelby and was surprised by how much I didn't lose by.

That Nissan plant is going to scream in that little car.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: December 11, 2014, 1:27 am 
Toyotaphobe

Off Road SHO wrote:
Yeah an S-1. Runs great. Ran up a gainst a new Shelby and was surprised by how much I didn't lose by.

Tom

That's a very positive attitude

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 11, 2014, 11:52 pm 

Tom, my target weight is 1500lbs..I am somehow confident I can do it.If I can get it there , then it would put the car at 4lbs per hp.I have never driven a car with those numbers .The 644whp porsche I drove was at 5.3 , around the same as a new gtr, either cars were no slouch. So this thing is going to need some "getting used to" :ack: btw I may need some help in the near future with some wiring, and you can show off your new car to me!
wayne-o

PostPosted: December 14, 2014, 12:08 am 

My collectors arrived today, another 2 peices to the puzzle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next