LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 2:13 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
are you doubly sure that all the chassis welding is done?

Well I did brush two coats of primer and two coats of the grey so I got a good look at all the joints four times and didn't see any missed welds. The only welding I will need to do now are on the harness bar and the diagonals on the rear hoop of the roll cage. Which is one of the other reasons I left the cage in primer. Also I plan on bonding and riveting the floors and other structural panels. I really don't like welding in sheet metal and any amount of oil canning in the floor would drive me nuts. I'm sure there are some brackets or other small things that may need to be added but rustoleum is easy to touch up.

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 6:23 pm 

You can run a bead across an open span of sheet metal (think of it as a convex divot) to cut down on oil canning. It sucks the metal tight on its binding points.

PostPosted: May 1, 2014, 4:23 pm 

Hello. I know this is a 6 month old bump. Looking great so far. I don't know if you are still trying to get this on the road later this year. You may already know this, but if you are still planning on using the stock Saturn PCM that was sourced from a manual transmission Saturn, you will need to add back the vehicle speed sensor input or the engine will not rev over about 4k because it thinks it is parked. Also adding the VSS will help tremendously with overall driveability of the car. It doesn't have to be accurate to the actual speed of your vehicle, the PCM just needs to see that the car is moving. It will eliminate the 4k rpm safety cutoff, keep the rpms up between shifting gears, and keep the engine from possibly stalling when you push the clutch in coasting to a stop. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 14, 2014, 7:53 pm 

It has been way to long since I have posted any updates so here it goes. With this icy cold winter and no heat in the building I was planning on working in this winter It certainly made things difficult and slow. This winter I did get the transmission rebuilt and swapped the S10 tail housing for a Camaro tail housing. Going along with the transmission the rear end was ripped apart, resealed and the brackets welded on. I also finished the gas tank but I do not have any pictures so more on that to come at a latter date. I also started to get some of the interior paneling completed. I also bought a Mini Mill and I wish I had it when I started my build its way to handy. I bought the mill with the intention of converting it to cnc someday. Have found a cnc fusion kit used for a good price so all I need now are the stepper motors and drivers.

PostPosted: July 31, 2014, 8:24 pm 

Another quick update, all of the interior panels minus the floor are done. All of the rivet holes are drilled. I made the firewall out of marine plywood that I had laying around in order to make the scuttle a little stiffer and to give a little bit larger of a lip for the hood to rest on. I don't think it would be a british car without something made out of wood. Also its amazing how fast you can use up 75 clecos. Up next is are the floors.

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 9:34 pm 

Floors are cut out and bead rolled for extra strength. I think I'm going to paint both sides in bed liner paint befor I rivet them down. It should add some abrasion resistance and maye a little bit of sound deadening.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 10:48 pm 

Good to see you back, Lee.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 12, 2014, 8:30 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Good to see you back, Lee.

Cheers,

Well I'm glad to be back, well as much as I can. I have a wedding in less than a month that is taking up allot of my time, but I'm trying to keep getting work done when I can make the time. By the middle of October I should have some more free time again.

PostPosted: August 18, 2015, 8:33 am 

I had some free time and finally started working on the body panels I'm about halfway through the first panel and i'm pretty happy how it is turning out. I decided to split the panel down the middle because I wanted to get the front of the panel to follow the contour of the kInetic nose and it was just too much material to deal with. I can't decide if I am going to make an upper half or make the hood come down all the way to meet it. But for now I just need to figure out how to mark the location of the cutouts were the lower control arms go through the panel.

PostPosted: March 24, 2016, 1:06 pm 

Bump... Any updates to report ?

PostPosted: February 24, 2017, 9:25 am 

I sure hope this one is still going. But it appears to be DOA :cry:

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 12:42 pm 

IndyJoe wrote:
I sure hope this one is still going. But it appears to be DOA :cry:

Not dead yet! Well I hope not anyways as long as I have something to say about it. I have been making progress actually I just have not had a lot of time to work on and post about it, although I really should post more. I will try and post some pictures tonight for anyone interested. Allot of the body work is done I just need to finish the rear panel, fenders and the hood. Although I am going to wait on the hood until I make a new intake that will not stick so far out of the hood. All the suspension, steering, pedals, and drive train is installed. I am working on plumbing now and then electrical next.

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 1:18 pm 

Definitely interested in the photos/build news, Lee.

Cheers,

PostPosted: February 27, 2017, 9:52 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Definitely interested in the photos/build news, Lee.

Cheers,

I figured I would post some photos of what I have been up too. I think I will work on plumbing the brakes and fuel lines next. I just finished up the fuel tank by putting the factory Saturn pump and sender unit inside the plastic tank. and plumbing the lines out through the two 90 degree bulkhead fittings. The power comes out of the tank through a metri pack fuel tank connector I got from racetronix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 28, 2017, 12:35 pm 

Hey, lookin' nice, Lee. It doesn't seem like you're that far from your first start up. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next