LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: January 21, 2013, 8:30 pm 

krepus wrote:
Hey Lee!
Any more progress or just too damn cold? Lol hope all is well!

Thanks for checking up on me. :) All is well, although life has been very hectic lately and I'm still trying to catch up on work after the holidays. Sadly for the locost I lost my work space due to the winter weather and I had to mummify it for the winter. I still have some things I can work on though. I am still trying to figure out the gas pedal, and for some weird reason I'm stumped. Front suspension geometry no problem, making a gas pedal :BH:. Its funny to me how the simple things can be the hardest. As soon as spring comes I'll be right back at it and I have some plans for a space on my own to work.

Attachment:
DSC_2530.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 15, 2013, 2:24 am 

Hey Lee... ya still around? If its a life altering curveball, I totally get it... I just got nailed with a fastball myself and am pretty much back to ground zero... Hope all is well!

PostPosted: October 23, 2013, 12:21 pm 

Well I am still alive but like always life had gotten in the way of my locost dreams a little bit. I had planned to spend allot of time this summer working on the locost but instead I decided I couldn't let the low interest rates pass me by so I moved, bought a house that needed a little bit of work, and while I was at it I decided to throw an engagement in the mix. So needless to say I not much happened on the locost front this summer. This past winter i did rip apart my "Free" engine which turned out to need a crankshaft, cylinder head, rings, bearings, timing chain, oil pump........ all that's left is the block, but now she is as good as new and maybe a little better. But now for the "Bad" news my Fiance has decided that she wants the Locost in the wedding next fall so now I am forced to work on it. It really is no fun. (just in case she reads this). So in the past few weeks I have Installed the gas tank, finished the transmission tunnel, made the gas pedal, mounted the parking break, mounted the radiator, fitted the nose and scuttle that I got from Jack that are awesome. (Thanks Jack ) and Im sure there are some other things I forgot.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 23, 2013, 8:10 pm 

IS that "my" "double bubble" bell housing?!?!?!

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 24, 2013, 9:29 pm 

Glad to see you're still moving forward and have a new motivation! I proposed to my gf last night after reading this, hoping she'd green light the project for use in the wedding... She said no... lol I even offered her an o-ring, she still shot me down... maybe I'm doing this wrong... :cheers:

PostPosted: October 25, 2013, 9:02 am 

Quote:
But now for the "Bad" news my Fiance has decided that she wants the Locost in the wedding next fall so now I am forced to work on it. It really is no fun. (just in case she reads this).

Quote:
I proposed to my gf last night after reading this, hoping she'd green light the project for use in the wedding... She said no... lol I even offered her an o-ring, she still shot me down... maybe I'm doing this wrong...

I think that both proposals should have been premised with, "the Locost must be finished before the vows so that I may dedicate all my time on you, dear". That might give some incentive for an extra body to help finish up the build when you get released from the hospital. :cheers:

Enough with the funny stuff. Congratulations to both of you. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: October 25, 2013, 4:10 pm 

I found the proper cake topper for your wedding cake...

Attachment:
il_570xN.238512837.jpg

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 9:33 pm 

Thanks Everyone, My fiancé got a kick out of that wedding topper, although at the moment it seems that she is dragging me into the garage instead. And yes that is what is left of the double bubble bell housing and an S-10 bell housing. Although if you are in need of a double bubble bell housing I think I know where I can get you one to replace the one you sent me. PM me and I'll find out.

I finally feel like I am making some progress. After going over everything I feel that I have the majority of the car ready to go. So in the essence of time I Jumped right to disassembly. I stripped the car back down to the frame and fully welded the transmission tunnel and all of those annoying brackets. Trying to get access to weld the transmission tunnel really made me wish I had a MIG welder. I would have been done in a fraction of time it took me to TIG all of it, but it is welded and hopefully Ill get a call back form Circus Olay after this weekends contortionist routine.

My goal now is to try and get a coat of paint on the frame this weekend before the weather gets to bad and then I can bond a rivet the floor on, and take it to its new winter home. This year I'm unlucky because I still don't have a garage of my own, but lucky that a good friend of mine just moved into the area and he does have a garage that he said I can gladly use, this winter.

Has anyone used POR-15 as the paint for there frame, and not liked the results? I was thinking of using POR-15 as the paint because I have had good luck in the past. but I was allso wondering if anyone had any other alternatives. I do not know much about paint, I really like thinking about building things but I rarely think about how to finnish a project.

PostPosted: November 3, 2013, 11:23 pm 
Always Moore!

I've read of a few guys using it and having it chip. It seems like surface preparation is extremely critical when applying it to clean metal since rust normally gives it something to bite on.

BTW I like the Harbor Freight rolling build table. ;)

PostPosted: November 4, 2013, 12:31 am 

The Internet seems really mixed on POR-15. Some love it, some call it snake oil. I bought a can to paint my frame, but decided against it because my frame wasn't rusty. Now I'm glad I didn't use it. Painting over rust seems like what you do to something you don't really care a lot about. I'd clean the frame and brush on Rustoleum. I'll bet half the Locost frames in the U.S. are painted with Rustoleum.

PostPosted: November 4, 2013, 2:38 am 

I'd just like to put in my 2 cents for what it's worth on POR-15. It is strongly recommended to prep the metal with Metal Prep before putting on the POR-15. The metal prep degreases, de rusts, and coats the frame with zinc phosphate. I definitely would not put POR-15 on bare rusted metal, I don't think it's that fantastic. I used it for the first build and not for the second. The second build was metal prepped, primed, and painted with, wait for it......Rustoleum gray for the underneath and rear frame and hammered metal for the frame that is visible. Enough blathering, back to POR-15
I decided to brush it on the frame. Used the POR-15 metal prep to prep the frame. Here in the great white north I had the shop at 65-70*F and found it very sticky/high viscosity to brush on. No primer was used, just the zinc phosphate coated frame, I found that in places I had to go over it again because you could see the frame through the POR-15.
Long story short, would I use it again - I didn`t. But I highly recommend the POR-15 metal prep before ANY type of primer/paint is put on the frame......whooaaa I'm way past my 2 cents

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 4, 2013, 3:38 am 

Totally agree with Perry on the POR-15 etching compound. I think they call it Prep & Ready. Leaves the frame looking like the side of a dumpster in a back alley, but anything you brush or spray on it afterwards will stick like glue.

PostPosted: November 11, 2013, 8:10 am 

a.moore wrote:
BTW I like the Harbor Freight rolling build table. ;)

Thanks. The trailor started as a easy way to move the car when my father needed to use the garage but it has now become the build table for the last year and a half. It is flat fairly stable and with the small garage if I want to work on the other side I just roll it out of the garage and spin it around. It is a little low but when I want it higher I just jack the whole trailor and car up and put it on saw horses or jack stands.

Quick after weekend update. I went with good old Rustoleum and I managed to get two coats of primer on and I hope to get the top coat done one day this week.

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 10:54 am 

I took a much needed day off of work to fix the heat in my house considering it's dropping down into the 20s most nights now, and managed to find time to get a coat of paint on the frame. I have not painted the roll bar and won't untill I decide on the colors for the nose an scuttle. It feels really good to get paint on the frame and I can't wait to start on the paneling and the floors. So it will really start to look like a car. :)

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 11:52 am 

are you doubly sure that all the chassis welding is done?

but we in it shall be remembered.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next