LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 7:02 am 
We are Slotus!

WelderLee wrote:
... First was a high idle because I forgot to replace the intake manifold gasket ... The third was a lack of backup light switch in the transmission that leaked about a quart of brand new transmission fluid onto the floor. Fourth were some miscellaneous minor coolant and oil leaks. ... Also has an exhaust leak as the manifold is not tight ...
Congrats on the successful start up, even if it was the 2nd time. She sounded good. Well done, Lee!
However, the little devil :twisted: sitting on my other shoulder says "Sounds like he built a Leak-Cost Seven". :rofl: I told him to shut up, after I laughed. Sorry... He gets me in trouble all the time.

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "You Should See MY Shop Floor"-
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 5:52 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Congrats! You'll have those small issues sorted out soon, I'm sure. We'll be looking for an on-the-road video sometime in the near future, Lee.

Very soon but first I need to get it out of my shed which will require a set of hopefully locost ramps

GonzoRacer wrote:
However, the little devil :twisted: sitting on my other shoulder says "Sounds like he built a Leak-Cost Seven". :rofl: I told him to shut up, after I laughed. Sorry... He gets me in trouble all the time.

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "You Should See MY Shop Floor"-
JDK

Leak-Cost Seven is a fitting and accurate description to the car that day. The only thing that didn't leak was the rear end which is good as nobody wants to look behind you and see that your rear end has been leaking. :ack:

PostPosted: September 5, 2018, 7:06 pm 

Congratulations on the 1st successful start. Pretty soon we'll get to see the 1st drive :cheers:

It feels good to be tracking down the small leaks and things rather than worrying about the next major thing that needs to be designed and fabricated, doesn't it?

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 7, 2018, 12:16 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
It feels good to be tracking down the small leaks and things rather than worrying about the next major thing that needs to be designed and fabricated, doesn't it?

Yes it does windshield/windshield wipers, seats/seat belts, and the gauge cluster/dashboard and it should have everything I need to have it registered.

To continue my leaking saga it looks like all the electrons in my battery wanted to join the fun. Went out to find a dead battery last night, looks like the voltage regulator died and left a 5 amp draw on the battery. Nice considering it is a brand new alternator , sad because I bought it 3 years ago so no returning it.

PostPosted: September 19, 2018, 1:18 pm 

I fixed my hard starting issue last night and it was a simple problem that took to long to figure out. It turns out that I was not getting any power to the fuel injectors during cranking, but they had power when not cranking. After going through the wiring as supplied the ez wiring harness along with the GM tilt column only provide power to the coil fuse during cranking and all the switched power circuits turn off. So I had no fuel pump injectors or ecu. I did have power to the ignition module so I had spark which is why it started on either then let go oh the key and everything has power again so it keeps running. So I moved a jumper wire from one busbar in the fuse box to another. Switched some of the circuits around and rewired the ignition switch and I have switched power during cranking for the computer, ignition module, fuel pump, and injectors. Now the car starts up instantly and runs good.

PostPosted: March 31, 2020, 8:42 pm 

I have not posted an update in a while but working from home leaves me more free time to work on this. Since I last updated that I had the car running I have been working on some of the exterior and interior items that in need to get he car inspected and registrable. First thing I have been working on is a aluminum windshield frame that will allow me to sandwich the windshield between the frame and the front roll hoop. It is made out of 1-1/2 aluminum angle and I cut the corners out and welded in curved pieces. The next item I have been working on is the layout of the dash panel. I think I have that where I like it and will cut that out of plywood hopefully in the next few days. I have also been working on some custom seats and I forgot to take pictures of them so those will be coming soon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 1, 2020, 8:15 am 

A new twist to the dashboard design that extends around the shift lever. :cheers:
Is there any frame structure between the tunnel and dash support tube(s)?
Davew

PostPosted: April 20, 2020, 10:14 pm 

davew wrote:
A new twist to the dashboard design that extends around the shift lever. :cheers:
Is there any frame structure between the tunnel and dash support tube(s)?
Davew

Not really the whole area under the scuttle is mostly open but slowly being filled with wiring and wipers and my next project a heat system.

I finished up the wiring and it is 99.9% done minus some zip ties and minor tidying up to do. I also installed the wipers which are Lucas MGB parts. Lastly with finishing up my wiring I was able to test all the gauges and they work and it really brings the car to life. I’m just a little bit closer to registration.
I have seat belts and harness bar on my radar and a laundry list of little finishing details.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 11, 2020, 9:34 am 

Just working on more little things. The nose had always been about 1/2” to short to clear the cam cover. I was planning on running a good scoop but I never really was happy with that idea. I decided I would trim the nose so I could tilt it up 5 or so degrees to gain an extra 1” of height at the back, and fiberglass in the gap. I did that over the weekend. I made an aluminum mold I clamped to the outside. Ground back a 2” scarf to a feather edge. I put 6 layers of mat on the back then sanded down the front and put 2 layers from the front. Now I’m wondering what people used to seal the fiberglass now that there is a section with no gelcoat. I was looking at 2 part marine epoxy primer that seems to be made for this type of application.

PostPosted: October 7, 2020, 11:32 am 

So good news, although the car is not done yet and needs some finishing touches I was able to get the car registered and inspected and was able to go for my first legal drives. Sorry no video to post but I have put about 100 miles on the car in the last week with minimal issues. I had to adjust the shifter and the alternator pulley nut backed off. The biggest issue was that after about 20 miles one of my new but 5 year old master cylinders failed so I had to replace that. That wasn't all bad because the bore size was too large anyways, so I also stepped down two sizes and the brakes are much better now.

PostPosted: October 7, 2020, 9:35 pm 

Congrats on first LEGAL drive! :cheers:

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: October 7, 2020, 9:52 pm 

WelderLee wrote:
So good news, although the car is not done yet and needs some finishing touches I was able to get the car registered and inspected and was able to go for my first legal drives. Sorry no video to post but I have put about 100 miles on the car in the last week with minimal issues. I had to adjust the shifter and the alternator pulley nut backed off. The biggest issue was that after about 20 miles one of my new but 5 year old master cylinders failed so I had to replace that. That wasn't all bad because the bore size was too large anyways, so I also stepped down two sizes and the brakes are much better now.

Lee,
Great news, congratulations!!! Your car looks great.

I’m very close to you in Wilson and would love to talk with you about licensing your car in NY. I have a unfinished Locost that I hope to someday put on the road. If you have time, maybe after things get better, I’d like to meet, take a look at your car and get some advice to get mine moving. I have the NY DMV package, but here are some things there I’d like to ask about.
Thanks,
Eric

PostPosted: October 8, 2020, 10:14 am 

A definite congratulation, Lee. You've still got some Fall driving time left too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 8, 2020, 10:25 am 

Awww no video? There's still opportunity for that :D
Congrats Lee on building yourself a road legal car :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16