LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 3:49 pm 

Hello everyone,

I can finally stop being a lurker here and begin contributing. I am building a 442e utilizing a 1998 bmw 328is as the donor car.

From where I am now in the build process I plan on using the rear suspension assembly from the bimmer and just attach it to the frame. I have seen some guys complete builds that way with the miata diff carriers. Since tge donor car did not come with keys the EWS is locked out, and since the car was sold as parts with a bill of sale only I really cant convince BMW to make me a new key. So in light of that, I plan on just using a megasquirt standalone.

More to come later.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by wicky on July 13, 2021, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 4:42 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Welcome.

That car looks too nice to cut up. Why was it sold as a parts car only?

Someone else will have to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember there's a problem with using the BMW rear end. I believe it has something to do with the length of the arms wanting to reside just where your butt needs to.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 5:42 pm 

I considered doing the same thing using an E30 but the trailing arms created too much problem because they were so long. They had to encroach into the passenger compartment in order to preserve the wheel base and general aesthetics of the Haynes.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 10:45 pm 

I live in missouri, one of the most difficult places to title a car. Most folks around here loose their title (dunno how) or just dont want to mess with it anymore. So they opt to sell with just a bill of sale (parts only) just to get rid of it. There are many strict city ordinaces surrounding non operational vehicles inside the city limits as well. Throw all those things together and you end up with someone like me buying a car like that in non running condition because the previous owner didnt have any mechanical skills and it would cost them more to have it fixed than what the vehicle is worth to them. Just search for "no title" in craigslist. Its pretty amazing how many there are.

Gonna have to check on that control arm thing tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 10:50 pm 

Mnot wrote:
I considered doing the same thing using an E30 but the trailing arms created too much problem because they were so long. They had to encroach into the passenger compartment in order to preserve the wheel base and general aesthetics of the Haynes.

Your build is looking pretty cool. I have an old friend that dabbles in t-birds. I'll have to check how how the tbird irs goes. Maybe I can talk him into giving one up. :D

PostPosted: September 27, 2015, 11:31 pm 

The T-bird route has been a good choice for me because it is pretty simple, strong, and gearing is CHEAP. The issue is the translator from German to American aka: the driveshaft. I found a guy here that can modify my driveshaft by cutting the back half and adding the parts to mate to the 8.8.

There was a build in Hungary or Poland that used a BMW 6. It is worth a search to see what he did.

PostPosted: September 28, 2015, 1:18 am 

Mnot wrote:
The T-bird route has been a good choice for me because it is pretty simple, strong, and gearing is CHEAP. The issue is the translator from German to American aka: the driveshaft. I found a guy here that can modify my driveshaft by cutting the back half and adding the parts to mate to the 8.8.

Not much of an issue. As I recall, I used Carolina Driveline for mine (I lived in Morrisville NC at the time), and the price was very reasonable, as was the process. They're just over the line in Spartinburg SC too. I'll double-check mine tomorrow but that's what I recall.

I think it also has a lifetime warranty.

BTW, I'd suggest going with a small-ish diameter drive shaft to get an extra inch or so saved in that tunnel. If you're building a 442 then you either 1) want space for things like big drivelines, or 2) want space for big backsides. Personally, I'd prefer the latter? So yeah, might consider, say, a 3" instead of a 4" or something.

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: October 5, 2015, 8:31 am 

I sure am happy you guys posted the information about the BMW rear end before I took the time to yank it out. I did manage to pick over the disembowelled remains of a miata at pick n pull over the weekend. So I have that going going now, which is nice.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 10, 2016, 3:43 pm 

Since beginning this project some major changes have taken place. Its not really much of a BMW build anymore. Seems that the bimmers 5th gear ratio is 1. So couple that with a miata 4:10 rear end and that nets a top speed of about 82 mph.

So it was cheaper at this point to scrap the bimmer parts and find a different primary drivetrain. That came in the form of a 1990 ka24e and transmission out of a 240sx. So im back on track and going strong again.

Thanks fellas for the heads up on the bimmer diff and other numbers. That would have really sucked to get everything together and discover this stuff.

PostPosted: January 10, 2016, 8:51 pm 

Wicky, Just stumbled onto your thread. What part of Missouri do you call home? I'm in Gainesville, Ozark County. Few miles off the Arkansas State line. We've got more than a few Missourians here on the forum.

PostPosted: January 10, 2016, 10:02 pm 

That sounds like a good thing, since I'm sure he'll need all the help he can get navigating the notorious and needlessly complicated Missouri Vehicle Licencing process.

My LocostUSA build log: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17917
A good snapshot of my progress. The LITE edition!

PostPosted: January 10, 2016, 10:07 pm 

I also have a friend that works at the local License Bureau Office.

PostPosted: January 11, 2016, 12:23 am 

Theres also a Shop here in CT called Advanced Driveshaft, right in south windsor. Its a little old italian guy that does phenomenal work. His name is tony. Builds all sorts of crazy custom stuff and is super reasonable. Built me a a custom corvette to mercedes driveshaft for $240.

The lower section in this picture is what he made up. That $240 included him messing with the slip join on the end of the half shaft, which is friction welded from the factory. The split center support bearing is the result of 375 ft lbs of torque trying to turn 275 series tires in a car that never made more than 200 ft lbs from the factory.

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: January 11, 2016, 11:02 pm 

Wick,
You are very welcome for the advice. At first I thought the BMW rout would be such a "no brainer" until i started measuring all of the rear parts. Luckily, I have some BMW independent service friends that let me ravage their "parts bins". After many hours of trying to figure out how a round peg would fit into a closed hole, I found the T-bird rear end option.

If I were to start completely over, I think I would probably do a 442 with a Toyota engine, T-bird rear, and Mustang II front spindles.

PostPosted: June 16, 2016, 6:29 am 

I havent updated this thread in a while now, so prepare for a shotgun load of photo updates!

Annnnd go!