LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: December 19, 2017, 7:12 pm 

I'm seriously thinking of doffing the .0625" in favor of buying an extra sheet of .040" for most of the body panels. The .0625" would still work for the hood, rear bulkhead (behind the seats), etc., as there's less forming required.

A 4'X8' sheet of .040" is $106.39CDN in my area (Metal Supermarkets).

http://zetec7.webs.com/

PostPosted: December 21, 2017, 9:24 pm 

I think that's a good plan. That's about what I paid for mine as well. I started with two 4x8 sheets but I'll have to get a third as I only have enough left for half a hood (hinged down the middle). Mind you, I made the rear fenders out of the same sheets so that took up some material. My rear bulkhead and floor are steel.

PostPosted: July 29, 2019, 4:19 am 

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My dream has been to build one of these for years, and I bought a donor 1990 Ranger a few weeks ago. I've learned a lot reading your post in reference to using the small pickup as a starting point and I'm anxious to get welding. I live in Alaska and travel through your area a couple of times a year, so I understand the cold and loss of motivation during the winter months. How is the build coming? It looks like the latest post was about 18 months ago.

~Tim

PostPosted: December 8, 2020, 5:35 pm 

Well, it's been a loooong time since I've been able to get on the forum, or even get to work on my car for that matter. The last couple of years I've been living in different provinces (Saskatchewan and Manitoba) to do my air force training, while the locost stayed at home. So basically there's been no progress in a while, but I thought I would post a quick update to say that neither I, nor the the project, are dead.

I got to fly an 1100hp ejection seat turbo prop (T6-A) and a couple of different helicopters (Bell 206 and Bell 412), and finally got my RCAF wings. Now that I'm finished the bulk of the training, I finally get to move WITH my wife and all of our stuff to our new location, which will be on the west coast in BC. The current challenge is figuring out how to get the Locost moved out there with the least hassle. The military movers will move boats and ATVs, and they'll move normal vehicles that are registered and insured, but since the locost doesn't fit neatly into any of their usual categories everybody is humming and hawing about it and trying to avoid it. Once the move is complete though, I should be able to resume working on it.

So while Perry may get five cars done in the time it takes me to do one, I'll be too far away to hear him laughing! :lol:

PostPosted: December 8, 2020, 9:56 pm 

Posthumane wrote:
So while Perry may get five cars done in the time it takes me to do one, I'll be too far away to hear him laughing!
Post - I will always laugh with you, not at you. Some day when your jetting over Holden drop in! All the best in your career :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 2:57 am 

Where on the coast are you moving to? If you’re out this way (on the island) it would be great to visit!

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 2:04 pm 

I am indeed moving to the island, specifically to Sidney. It's a pretty short hop from there to Sooke, so a visit would definitely be in order. Hopefully we'll be able to get some of these public health restrictions removed in a few months time as things calm down.

PostPosted: December 9, 2020, 2:22 pm 

Sounds great! I get out to Sidney fairly often (my boat & my parents are there), so that’s doable too! Let me know when you get out here!

- Mike

PostPosted: December 13, 2020, 8:51 pm 

Well, I buttoned up the car as well as I could, and watched it get loaded into a car transporter to start its trip out west. Further west, I mean...

I didn't think the car hauler would do well in my alley, so I took the opportunity to start the car up and drive it around the block to the front of the house. It took a battery booster and holding my tongue the right way to get it going, especially since I haven't actually done the tuning on the megasquirt yet, but even in this balmy -17 celcius it fired up. I discovered that it's not the best car for going up even a very slight incline on ice.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FTmhKA ... sp=sharing

The car hauler showed up late, and it was dark by the time he got there. The locost fit snugly behind a classic Bronco that he was also delivering.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 13, 2020, 9:12 pm 

Posthumane wrote:
I discovered that it's not the best car for going up even a very slight incline on ice.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FTmhKA ... sp=sharing
You need to get some studded winter grip tires! :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: December 13, 2020, 10:29 pm 

That would definitely be the ultimate Canadian locost, wouldn't it? The funny thing is the rear tires that are on it are actually winters, just as a cheap (used) placeholder.

PostPosted: February 18, 2021, 1:09 am 

I finally got the car delivered to me a couple of weeks ago after sitting in a trailer somewhere en-route while other deliveries took priority. It's been tough adjusting from having a fairly spacious two car garage to only a one car, albeit a reasonably long one. One thing that has not been tough adjusting to is the weather. While we did get a few inches of snow this past week, it certainly has not been cold. I think the lowest it got was -4 C since I got here. Lots of rain, but also enough sunshine that I was able to get out on my canoe (in January) and pick up a 100cc two stroke bike from the 70's.

I still have a lot of organizing of the garage to do before I get back to the locost in earnest, but I was playing around with an idea for a top mount windshield wiper. What I came up with is mostly 3d printed (I think this might be the first 3dp part that made it onto the Locost?) with a steel wiper arm and a torsion spring to keep it pressed against the window. With a single 10" wiper I can cover around 60% of the useable windshield. I'll have to check the regs on coverage area to see if a second one is required. I'll also have to see if it has to be powered, or if a manual one would pass inspection.

The nice thing about this design is the most expensive parts were the wiper blade, and the two 608 bearings which can be had for less than $1 CAD a piece.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 18, 2021, 11:54 am 

That's a clever idea. Do you operate it by hand?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 18, 2021, 1:40 pm 

Good to see that you're back working on the car.

A friend of mine was an instructor in Moosejaw, and when he was retiring from the RCAF he got to fly a T-6A out to Victoria then to Boundary Bay. A bunch of us drove out to watch his arrival and circuits of the airfield. It was pretty cool to get up close to a military aircraft.

PostPosted: February 18, 2021, 2:25 pm 

Posthumane wrote:
I'll also have to see if it has to be powered, or if a manual one would pass inspection.

Obviously chat with the person doing your inspection but, as per Alberta's Vehicle Equipment Regulation, page 34 of the PDF:

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

"Windshield wipers, etc. 62(1)

A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle, moped or antique motor vehicle, that has a windshield must also have a self-operating windshield wiper and washer system that removes water, road splash and other opaque material from the outside of the windshield.

(2) A motor vehicle, other than a motor cycle, moped or antique motor vehicle, that has a windshield must also have a self-operating defrosting and defogging system on each half of the windshield that removes moisture and frost from the inside of the windshield.

(3) The controls for equipment required by this section must be located so that the driver of the motor vehicle is able to operate the equipment from the driver’s seat."

If you're vehicle is classified as an "antique" (“antique motor vehicle” means a motor vehicle that is not used as general transportation, is 25 years old or older, is owned as a collector’s item and is driven or operated only in exhibitions, club activities, parades or similar events;), you can use a manual system:

"Windshield wiper on antique motor vehicle 63
An antique motor vehicle that has a windshield must also have an automatic or manual windshield wiper system that removes water, road splash and other opaque material from the outside of the windshield if the antique motor vehicle is on a highway and the weather requires a wiper system."

Think the hangup, if there is one, would be the "..25 years or older...". Yours clearly isn't, but if it's titled as such, does that count? Mines titled as a '66 but is new, not sure how they'll interpret that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next