LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 5:50 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Trochu wrote:
Not to many guys building their hoods out of FG. I do see the appeal of it though, hope it works out really well for you.

And yet to me FG seems to be the only way to go.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 26, 2015, 8:14 pm 

Yeah, the main reason I went the fiberglass route was to make it easier to form the bump outs for the distributor and the carb/air cleaner setup. It'll be a fairly large bump. I think the tallest point is about 4 inches high off the main hood line.

PostPosted: February 27, 2015, 11:52 pm 

Popped the hood off the mold and trimmed it up a bit. Still need to trim the front and rear portion of the hood but it looks like it'll fit pretty well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 12:28 am 
Toyotaphobe

I can't tell, it is a rough finish or a smooth one. It looks like lots of rough fiber surface.

If it is how do you intend to get it smooth?

I need to make some pieces when it gets warm and I worry about getting a smooth surface.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 12:43 am 

It's a rougher fiber surface. I'll be sanding it down a bit and skim coating the entire hood before paint.

PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 9:30 am 

andrew484 wrote:
Started a bit on the body work. Cut and glassed together one of Jack's piece together scuttles. Also bolted together the firewall.

Turning out nice!. Man thats a lot of engine.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 9:33 am 

andrew484 wrote:
Life has kept me pretty busy. My daughter was born about a year and a half ago and has kept the wife and I occupied. I have just started to get back to working on the car. Pretty much finalized the front fender brackets this past weekend. Should be starting to work on the exterior paneling soon.

Where did you get the nose? I am looking for a source for aluminum fenders like yours.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: February 28, 2015, 11:10 am 

andrew484 wrote:
Turning out nice!. Man thats a lot of engine.

:lol: Hey Andrew! There's an old saying (or not), 'you can always throttle back, but you can't push it through the floor boards'

Great build. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 1:13 pm 

Did a little more work to the hood. Glassed in flanges over the top frame rails and cut the opening for the distributor and carb. Hood fit over the scuttle and nose cut pretty well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 29, 2015, 9:19 pm 

Found a hood scoop that will clear all the "protrusions." Made some modifications and started glassing it into the hood.

PostPosted: April 2, 2017, 11:26 am 

Finished making the windshield frame and mounted it.

PostPosted: May 15, 2017, 11:31 pm 

Ended up finishing the mounts on the windshield uprights for the winglet hinges and side view mirrors. Disassembled the car to final weld the last remaining joints on the frame, sandblast, and paint. Also sent out the mock driveshaft to be built for the final car.

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 12:45 am 

Looking good, Andrew, though I recommend replacing the windshield with the traditional AS-1 safety glass.
andrew484 wrote:
Just finished building the buck for the hood...
I know this is going back a couple years, but what material did you use to make that buck? And how did you seal it? And what was the release you used?
Trochu wrote:
Not to many guys building their hoods out of FG. I do see the appeal of it though, hope it works out really well for you.
It looks like Andrew's got the FG hood figured out. We don't offer fiberglass hoods at Kinetic because they're too dang big for UPS, and if you don't have a big ol' honkin' carb sticking up in the middle, they're pretty easy to make from sheet aluminum.

PostPosted: May 16, 2017, 10:54 am 

Hi Jack, I was planning on cutting two eye holes in the windshield and drawing a happy face in it. Should work out pretty good.

For the materials I used to make the hood buck. I ended up using the blue 2" thick construction/insulation foam you can buy from most big box hardware stores. I made a frame out of 2"x2" wood sticks and plywood then filled in the space with the foam. After making the basic shape out of a bunch of stacked pieces of the foam, I smoothed the piece over with joint compound mud. I heard the foam will dissolve with contact from the fiberglass resin so I painted the whole thing with some leftover semi gloss latex paint I had laying around. Before putting fiberglass over the buck I coated it with a couple layers of mold release wax. It worked pretty well except for a couple spots where the resin stuck to the latex paint.

PostPosted: May 27, 2017, 5:15 pm 

Frames sand blasted and ready for primer and paint.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next