LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 6:51 am 

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Scrap Metal oversteer in a slalom before! Is the new motor that much more torque, or have the tires seen better days?

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 7:16 am 

TooBusy wrote:
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Scrap Metal oversteer in a slalom before! Is the new motor that much more torque, or have the tires seen better days?

The tires have seen better days the rear end was very loose. It blows my mind that the 15" wide contact patches lose grip and spin all the time.
horizenjob wrote:
Maybe you should hack on your current car a bit to make sure you go the right direction with the new changes? Could hurt your year end points though.

Moving weight to the back, can you get to maybe %56 rear weight bias? Raise your front RC or lower rear? If you can't move weight, maybe move the rear wheels forward a bit? I changed how my wishbones connected to the upright and got my rear wheels moved forward 2 or 3 inches.

I moved as much weight backwards as possible and its about 54-55% on the rear. The rear tires rubbed the paint off the roll hoop so they cannot go any further forward. I am at the point where I need to make major chassis/suspension changes to get the car to do what I want and I don't think it is worth it.

Currently it is a good time to rebuild the chassis. I already missed out on year long trophies locally and have a seat in the "Jeep" for National events. I have a spare engine, transmission and seat etc. I can probably get >70% of the chassis built and keep Scrap Metal running. I will have to get custom axles made for the narrower width and will be remaking all the suspension pieces.

I plan to build the new chassis to the rules rather than adapt the chassis to a class which is what I did with Scrap Metal. The goals about 2" ride height, make the wheelbase as small as possible ~78" (optimistically), overall width to around 60" and 58% weight on the rear at minimum weight. Obviously that is a very ambitious with list but you have to have goals.

I'm currently doing a few little bits to the engine to get a little more power and save weight then I will start on the chassis.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 7:34 am 

Will you go to center seat with the rebuild and have the driveshaft between your legs? Or is the safer option as narrow as possible with a left seat position and offset third member?

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 3:55 pm 

The drivers seat has to be all the way over the centerline (left in most cases here). The engine also has to remain in the front half of the car. The plan is to move the engine as far back as possible into the passenger seat area. The new drive shaft will be about 5" long allowing the engine to move back ~24" and slightly to the right. With the shortened wheelbase that will be comfortably in the front of the car with a few inches to spare.

I expect diff will be offset right slightly to accommodate the engine moving to the right but I am going to run out of room for the suspension on that side really quickly. Once I start laying everything out I will have a better ideal of what is achievable.

[*]The drive shaft will set the position of the engine
[*]Tires will limit how far back the seat can be
[*]The seat/engine will determine the width of the passenger area
[*]Inboard adjustable suspension front and rear.

The radiator, fuel cell, battery, ecu, etc will all fit where there is space and positioned to help 50:50 left to right weight distribution and as much rear weight bias as possible up to 60%. I have most of it laid out in my head just need to find the time and money to get it built.

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 4:06 pm 

Tough set of constraints for sure.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 4:46 pm 

The good thing is, if it doesn't fit I'll just make the car a little bigger. I looked at the axles and I can actually remove about 8" per axle (I would only need 7" a side). Surprisingly it only reduces wheel travel from 7" to 5" but as its narrower the car would still be able to roll a similar amount. Maybe I could shorten the passenger side by 8" and the drivers side by 6" to offset the diff and engine a little.

Making it all fit and work will definitely be a challenge..... Bring it on!

PostPosted: August 21, 2017, 7:55 pm 

A couple of cool photos of me on course.

I love this photo it really shows how much the car rolls and you can see the diffuser fins under the car
Attachment:
Body roll.jpg

Another great one showing the rear tire loading up
Attachment:
On course.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 22, 2017, 9:09 am 

Reminds me of my favorite pic from last year. Yours is definitely working harder than mine was.
Attachment:
2nd run 1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OOPS I did it again

Blood Sweat and Beers

PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 2:46 pm 

I guess I didn't post the video here but I went out again last weekend and the engine started to knock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg2GMXk-sm8

I pulled the engine last night and opened her up. Cylinder 3 rod bearing had disintegrated. Fortunately I stopped soon enough as both the crank and rod still seem to be in good shape. What sucks is the shavings are everywhere so I need to tear it all down and give it a good clean.

PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 5:00 pm 

So what caused that bearing to dis... dis... go bad?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: September 2, 2017, 6:32 pm 

Not sure I had a similar issue with the CAM wearing out. It has to be an oiling issue. I am going to take it all apart and make sure everything is clean this time.

PostPosted: September 9, 2017, 3:25 pm 

Paul, looks like a rough weekend ahead for Sarasota. Stay dry, and safe.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: September 10, 2017, 6:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

seattletom wrote:
Paul, looks like a rough weekend ahead for Sarasota. Stay dry, and safe.
According to FaceBook, he's out drinking with buddies in ATL. Smart guy, that Paul... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 20, 2017, 11:44 am 

Hi guys yes it was rough in Sarasota after Irma came through. We finally got power to our home yesterday so getting caught up with everything. I was at the Solo National Championships right before the Hurricane so I got a ride with friends and stayed in Atlanta. The rest of the family evacuated to Washington and then went on to Philly. My kids will be home today. I cant wait to see them as it's been over 2 weeks.

My home did well during the storm we had a few trees and large branched down but nothing touched the house. However the Property I own that I am renovating had a 60'+ tree land on it which put several hole in the brand new roof. I can't add photos at the moment but the tree was a monster. The trunk is close to 6' thick and it completely lifted the neighbors and landed on my house badly damaging the roof and external brick structure/shed.

PostPosted: September 20, 2017, 12:05 pm 

I had a great time at Nationals it is always great to see everyone. It was nice that I got to see the EM guys run too and catch up with everyone.

We (mostly me) had a tough time with the Jeep this event. Which is strange as every other event she's been great to me. The first run on the practice course the exhaust hit the ground and fell off. Then after being told I launched like a [kitty cat], I launched the car harder and nearly destroyed the clutch. Fortunately after it cooled it seemed ok again. Then I missed a gear and the engine got hung up and sat at 5K rpm or something.

Day 1. First run right after I launch the car died and I had to be towed off course. Fortunately we got it fixed and with a mechanical Chris got out for his 1st run. My 2nd run was a mess, I was frustrated and completely forgot the course. Fortunately my 3rd run was solid and cone free.
https://youtu.be/Y45DQaP77zY

Day 2. First run the engine went into some sort of limp mode and I think my top speed was 50mph. We got it fixed and my 2nd run the car ran fairly well and I put in a solid lap. 3rd run I decided to push the car and go for it and I was getting wheels spin everywhere and the engine kept hitting the limiter. So the final run was slower.
https://youtu.be/y2s5MXj94Ig

Overall though I am really happy with my performance picking up my first National Trophy 4th. My raw time was around 53rd overall and the Pax time was 213 which is great. From the Florida drivers I was the fastest in Raw, and in Pax I was the 4th fastest. The 3 people who beat my Pax time are all National Champions :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next