LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: March 5, 2017, 5:50 pm 

Well it seems to have been a long week with a lot of work trying to get the engine/car back together.

Initially the timing was off which I went back and fixed and the car seemed to run correctly. I then took the car around the block and the timing trigger wheel on the AP1 came loose causing the car to stop requiring a push home. I then fixed that and she seems to run reasonable well.

The tune was not right and for some reason the MAP sensor was not giving the same readings as it was before, which messed with the whole tune. I did a down and dirty tune to get it running. The AFR seemed to be good so I decided to race this weekend.

For some reason the engine will not rev over 6,000rpm. It happens in neutral, 1& 2nd (I presume all gears but could drive that fast). Not a huge issue as I just drove in 3rd. I took the car home and changed the intake CAM to the original AP2 and on the drive it seemed to hit the correct redline.

I went back out racing today and still had the same issues with the engine hitting the 6K redline. Now I know how the V8 guys feel. Hopefully it will work correctly after everything is tuned. I think I will go back to the OEM Map sensor as I am not going to boost the car and aftermarket stuff is rarely as good as OEM for reliability.

Overall I was very happy with the car. I did 10 runs over 2 days and other then the low redline everything seems to be working as expected. No FTD unfortunately but I think I was 3rd behind a 2 driver car.
https://youtu.be/TMZfISa8s3E

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 12, 2017, 6:13 pm 

The car ran great for the ProSolo and I had an amazing time.
https://youtu.be/VCuJK7iouVM
We had an entire class of Nationally competitive guys which was amazing. I did leave me 5 of 6 in class but I was really happy with the my times and managed the 9th fastest time of 165 drivers.

PostPosted: March 12, 2017, 8:04 pm 

What RPM were you turning?

PostPosted: March 12, 2017, 8:22 pm 

Fantastic! Great videos Paul!

PostPosted: March 12, 2017, 9:06 pm 

Looks like you were having a blast!

PostPosted: March 12, 2017, 9:55 pm 

It was an amazing weekend the car felt great. I have another National event next weekend, so lots of fun at the moment.

I still have the redline at 9K for now but the plan is to go to 9k4. I want to get it on the dyno so it is tuned correctly first.

PostPosted: July 5, 2017, 1:21 pm 

Just got home from the Bristol National tour and had an absolute blast. A huge thank you to Chris Kunkel for both letting me drive the bat [PooPoo] crazy J2 "Jeep" and also being a great team mate throughout the competition.

The venue was the Bristol Motor speedway parking lot. It is high grip asphalt with lots of elevation changes and bumps.... Lots of big car braking body hurting bumps. Most of the speed was limited by how much of a beating you were willing to put your body though. There were about half a dozen cars with suspension failures, but fortunately the jeep held together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVNJn8qOuR4
We started the weekend with the 2 day Championship tour. On the first day right before we were about to run (as in already in the car ready to go) it started raining, it only lasted about 10 minutes but completely flooded the course and no one had time to put on rains. As you can see from the video it was a lot of fun. We then had drying conditions and Chris and I went faster on every run but both coned the last runs. Day 1 Chris was in top spot by 0.1 seconds and I was 4th, about 1.1 seconds back.
Day 2 Chris and I ran very similar times, I set the fastest clean time in class which was enough to move me into the final trophy spot (3rd) only 0.157 behind Craig. Chris took care of business and won the class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVjmbUMRpjk
On Monday we did the Match tour which is basically a Champ tour in 1 day. We did over 1300 runs in a single day which meant very quick drive changes and very little time for the car to cool which took it toll on the car. In the morning session I had great times on my 2nd and 3rd runs. The tires were getting really greasy due to the quick changes and Chris got a DNF for his 2nd and 3rd leaving him on his 2 cone first run. I finished the session with about a 1 second lead.
In the evening session I put down a great first run on cold tires. I think the rest of the class were then all pushing really hard to catch me resulting in lots of cones and DNF. With the heat and quick driver changes we were really struggling, my 2nd run was really quick and I had the fastest non kart time for the event but unfortunately tagged a cone. I also cooked the tires and boiled the rear brakes. Chris took it easy for get a clean run to build from. I was up on my previous time by half a second on the final run but the tires got too hot and I think the rear brakes were starting to drag a little and I spun the car. Chris skipped his last run to save the car. I finished with a 3.6 second lead on the class for my first National tour win.

I quite like this whole arrive and drive thing. Chris and I discussed a list of things to fix at Dixie and at the next event they were all done. We created a new list at this event and I'm sure Chris will take care of them again. It much easier then doing the work yourself. The car itself was great, the power is amazing and the car felt neutral. The worst thing we had to deal with was the extremely bump course.

I still have some improvement to do as a driver, I sat on a cone in the Champ tour and lost 1 second to a cone in the Match tour. I was really starting to get a feel for the car though and getting really confident. Between us we won both competitions and a set of tires for Nationals too. Again a big thank you to Chris for the co-drive and I look forward to seeing what this car can do on concrete at Nationals.

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 11:42 am 

Hey Paul,

I caught your interview video with Grass Roots on YouTube yesterday. Even though I've been following your build log for a while now, it gave me a much better perspective on what you've accomplished. Congratulations. You definitely have the "Locost Spirit."

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 29, 2017, 3:16 pm 

Thanks, I really enjoyed doing the interview with Grassroots Motorsports, my car has come a long way and I just love to drive it. Here is the video if anyone wants to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kp2CUQbK3w

PostPosted: August 6, 2017, 5:57 pm 

Well Scrap Metal is alive. In April last time I drove it the valve train had issues and stopped oiling correctly, resulting in the engine basically siezing. I rebuilt the top of the engine using the spares I had from the other engine and got everything back in the car. After messing with it I managed to get the oil pumping correctly. Then discovered that the thermostat had jammed closed. Removing the thermostat made the engine run correctly......hopefully.

The only issue I have now is that is does not get up to temp as the Derale fan which is wired permanently on is too efficient at keeping the coolant cool. Currently the engine wont get over about 140F even with the idle set to about 1500prm. I am going to get a 3 way switch so I can either have the fan ON, OFF or controlled by the ECU to come on at ~180F. Then I could turn it off when I run if I want to save the 2-3HP it takes to power the fan.

PostPosted: August 6, 2017, 8:59 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:

The only issue I have now is that is does not get up to temp as the Derale fan which is wired permanently on is too efficient at keeping the coolant cool. Currently the engine wont get over about 140F even with the idle set to about 1500prm. I am going to get a 3 way switch so I can either have the fan ON, OFF or controlled by the ECU to come on at ~180F. Then I could turn it off when I run if I want to save the 2-3HP it takes to power the fan.

May I make a suggestion. Assuming your switch is just toggling ground (either chassis ground or to the ECU to be sourced to ground) i would use a single pole double throw switch so that you don't ever have a state where the fan is just off. SPDT W/ COVER

Attachment:
FAN BIPASS SWITCH.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: August 6, 2017, 10:36 pm 

I would actually want the off option. I looked it up today and the fan can draw up to 21 amps. Not exactly sure how that equates to power but it is something. Therefore when I am going all out on an autocross run I could turn off the fan right before the run save the parasitic loss and then turn on the fan right after the run.

PostPosted: August 7, 2017, 3:23 am 
The voice of reason

21A * 12V = 252 Watts. 1 HP is about 750 Watts.

PostPosted: August 7, 2017, 7:51 am 

Why not just throw a new thermostat back in? I'm guessing the old one lasted through XX,XXX miles in the original car and then a couple years in this one, seems like a pretty small risk for a big reward (temperature consistency).

I bet you get way more than your 3/8hp back by running the fan and letting the engine sit on the stat, that's a happy place for an engine to be and it will run better. Plus you won't eventually forget to flip the fan on when rushing to grid (ask me how I know).

Alex

PostPosted: August 7, 2017, 8:51 am 

It really is an insignificant amount of power. I think I actually have a spare thermostat from the other engine so I should really put it in and invest in a temp gauge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next