LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 8:00 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
benny_toe wrote:
Weld in that last photo makes want to re-weld my frame!

Shoot, that last photo made me want to push my car into the bushes and hide it from the world.
That there was ARTWORK! Pure and simple ARTWORK!
:cheers:

Hell, I was gonna send in my male parts to the Man Assn. after comparing those welds... and cuts! to mine...

But I **am** getting lots of practice with the $19 HF hand grinders....

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 5:01 pm 

Larry, JD and Geek, Thanks for the positive feedback. I need all the encouragement I can get :)

The coping was all hand done. I started by measuring the angle between the tubes, then generating a template with software (e.g., Pipefitter, etc.), tracing the template onto the tube, roughing it out with a cut-off wheel and shaping with a die grinder using a 7/8" double-cut burr. Any touch up work gets done with a coarse half-round file and/or a 1.5" grinding point in the die grinder. Process sounds long, but really goes pretty fast (after the first one.)

I have to confess on the weld though. I had originally MIG'd 75% of that joint. Got good penetration and all, but couldn't get into the tight V, so had the pro welder who's helping me with the sl^^ves TIG the tight areas of the joint and blend my boogery MIG work. That greatly improved the looks :oops:

Sunday, I got over half of the primary structure tacked (MIG) and was able to remove some of the scaffolding. I hope to finish that phase of tacking tomorrow. I'll post more pics then. Lots of diagonals to follow.

One of KV's split noses arrived today, so I can begin the mock up of how it will fit. Pics on that to follow as well.

JD, I see from Lonnie's build log that you've outed yourself as a Parrot-Head. 'Course that makes sense you being a Gulf Coaster and all. Do you do the whole feathers, grass skirt and coconut bra thing? That would be a sight to behold :shock:
My favorite Buffet songs are "Southern Cross" (80 feet of waterline, nicely makin' way) and "Let's get drunk and scr^w.") Eclectic choices. BTW, I've heard that coconut bras chafe too much :mrgreen:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 5:09 pm 

Tom,

I've put a split KV nose together. Hope yours goes better than mine. It was my first fiberglass attempt. I think my ideas were good however the execution didn't match up.

Got some pics if you would like.

Your build is impressive.

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 7:58 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Tom,
I've put a split KV nose together. Hope yours goes better than mine. It was my first fiberglass attempt. I think my ideas were good however the execution didn't match up. Got some pics if you would like.
Your build is impressive.

Larry, I would love to see what you have done. Pics of what you did would be great. Maybe we can get together now that the weather is a bit nicer. Your car looks great in the avatar. I bet its even better in person.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 9:52 pm 
We are Slotus!

Tom, if I was ever gonna model a coconut bra and grass skirt, I'd do it for you...
(Does that statement strike you as vaguely creepy? It does me, and I wrote it! :ack: )

Those are two good choices from the JB library. "Southern Cross" is a Crosby, Stills, Nash song from way back, but Buffett does it well. His rendition of "Dixie Chicken" (Little Feat) is a good 'un too! If you like "Why Don't We Get Drunk and S..." then look up "Fool Button" some time. Similar vein, good time party song.

Oh, and your car is lookin' good too!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 23, 2013, 9:55 pm 

Hi Tom,

Oh yeah, it looks great in the avatar. Detail really suffers in the small photo.

I can certainly point out some mistakes I made on the nose cone. That might be of some help. The mistakes I made you probably wouldn't have thought to do it that way in the first place.

Do you want them posted here or PM'd? Some are not pretty. Parental guidance is suggested.

PostPosted: April 24, 2013, 2:19 am 

benny_toe wrote:
I can certainly point out some mistakes I made on the nose cone. That might be of some help. The mistakes I made you probably wouldn't have thought to do it that way in the first place.Do you want them posted here or PM'd? Some are not pretty. Parental guidance is suggested.

Larry, We all benefit from lessons learned by others, so post 'em here if you're willing. And hearing what you would do differently would be a help. FG is not my favorite medium either.

PostPosted: April 24, 2013, 1:18 pm 

Hi Tom,

Larry, I also have a KV nose that is waiting to be glassed so I would also like to hear about what you went through with yours. Maybe it's time for a nose training gathering.

PostPosted: April 26, 2013, 5:47 am 

Didn't want to hi-jack Tom's thread with a lengthy dissertation on how I muddled through widening my KV nose cone so I posted it under 'Exteriors'.
It should found at viewtopic.php?f=23&p=162938#p162938

Open to questions, just might not have answers.

Cheers

PostPosted: April 27, 2013, 11:30 pm 

A good couple of days in the garage. I got the primary structure from the roll hoop forward fit-up and tacked into place. Lots of diagonals to add, but this is a major milestone for me.
Attachment:
001-1.jpg

A big step was finishing the front bulkhead sl^^ves, with a little welding help from my professional friend.
Attachment:
002-1.jpg

The forward pivots for the 30" long rear trailing arms were also bench welded. CharlieN machined the threaded sl^^ves for 3/4" bolts on the bottoms and 5/8" on the tops. They are reinforced on the outside with large washers to distribute the load. Nice TIG work--I didn't do it. Oh, and I discovered Scotch Brite pads for my angle grinder. Now I want to clean up all my metal, Locks cool 8) but will probably promote some surface rust before I can get it painted.
Attachment:
006-1.jpg

Horizonjob designed the dash bulkhead to be a Tilley hoop. It will have a sheet metal face between the inner and outer hoops which will add a lot of stiffness. The inner hoop also gets bracing from engine compartment triangulation. I added the short side supports to keep the inner hoop in place until the skinning and triangulation is complete. The inside of the threaded trailing arm sleeves get lock nuts on the pivot bolts.
Attachment:
007-1.jpg

I tried a very rough fit of the TTL nose from KV that arrived this week. Just clipped it into place with a set of inserts. Since Car9"s front bulkhead is in line with the front wheel centers, the nose will sit forward of the front bulkhead and I''ll need to add some side panels to it. Looks like I have some FG work to do, but I like the general shape.
Attachment:
008-1.jpg

I mocked up the engine height with a poster paper intake manifold and a simulated Corvette pan. With the throttle body reversed to point backwards, only a small bump in the hood should be required. 'Course that all depends how far back the engine can sit to make room for my feet. (And we don't need no stinkin' hoods anyway :twisted: )
Attachment:
009-1.jpg

Which of course required a test drive and the appropriate Vroom-Vroom sounds...
Attachment:
013-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 4:20 am 

Hey Tom,

That is looking so good! Makes me want to start another build. Won't. Too late in life.

What we called back in my hot rod days 'Sanitary'!

Keep on keepin on!

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 8:26 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Tom-
Wow, again... GREAT lookin' work! I'm really looking forward to watching that 4-link progress. Will the ends of the arms (heims, I guess?) ride against the tubing that protrudes from the frame now, or is there some other item (bushing?) that goes on there? Also, I'm only seeing one "upper" and one "lower" mounting point. Are there multiple points in the rear of the 4-link bars, or how do they adjust? Or do they adjust?

While I kinda know what a "Tilley Hoop" is, it doesn't get any hits when I google it. The first place I saw 'em was either in a Lotus or a WWII aircraft. Can't remember... Do you know the story?

Quote:
And we don't need no stinkin' hoods anyway
Yes you do need a hood! You gots ta have one before you can cut a big, oddly shaped hole in it for the engine to stick out of!!! :roll:

I'm also happy to see that you're wearing proper safety gear for that first test drive. My first test drive was on a cardboard drawing, which I deemed highly flammable, so I wore a fire suit as well as a helmet. One can't be too safe, ya know?

Nice shoes, too...

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
the nose will sit forward of the front bulkhead and I''ll need to add some side panels to it. Looks like I have some FG work to do, but I like the general shape

Ya know...... You could do some flares on the sides of the nose, make some aero shapes that partially cover the suspension arms... Brake cooling ducts... Dive planes/winglets... :twisted:
J Devil's Advocate Kemp

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 8:58 am 

Nice going Tom, will be a nicely finished machine with your approach.

PostPosted: April 28, 2013, 5:36 pm 
The voice of reason

I've seen the dash arrangement referred to as a "Terry" hoop. Len Terry was an early engineer at Lotus who had experience doing design on airplanes. Especially when the "competition" bar is not installed across the passenger seat, the dash is a major contributor to the stiffness of the car.

I'm curious how wide that inner dash hoop is?

Nice to see your car taking form. I've been wondering if the roll hoop was too tall, but it looks to be a very good size for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 96  Next