LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: May 27, 2013, 12:17 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Remember that it's the rod end joints we want to be parallel with the car centerline and also not to have to make different tabs for the two verticals. That doesn't change things much but the rear vertical will want to be slightly further outboard to make the holes on the tabs line up.

Marcus, thanks. I agree the rod end joints should be parallel with the car centerline, and moving the rear vertical outboard about 1/4" does that. Another option would be to add a small amount of anti-dive (17%-18%) to the front suspension by moving the rear pivot point up about 5/8". This would have the affect of moving the pivot outboard by 1/4" as well due to the vertical's flair angle. I would be interested in folks thoughts on adding some anti-dive :?:

My thoughts on the t@bs is to make all the inboard ends the same, so I'm trying to make matching sl^^ve pairs on the verticals. Then I can make up a number of identical blank t@bs and only "customize" the outboard pivot hole locations as needed. As a minimum, groups of four t@bs would be identical. When the suspension design is fine-tuned, it may be possible to have additional identical t@bs sets. The front spindles will be using a "pin and rod-end" approach instead of an upper ball joint. That will allow additional UCA adjustability, so it may be easier to have identical t@b sets. We'll see.

Quote:
I probably spent too much time thinking about bikini parts as it was.
JD, that's what you are supposed to do in high school. 8)

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 27, 2013, 10:32 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Quote:
I probably spent too much time thinking about bikini parts as it was.

JD, that's what you are supposed to do in high school. 8)

Well, I think that fully explains the two of us and why we're still doing it, eh, JD? We are clearly "arrested development" in spades!

Bikinis for ever, man.
Attachment:
Bikini-Girl.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 2, 2013, 10:03 pm 

Quote:
Bikinis for ever
Hey Lonnie, nice triangles. Camber curve isn't bad either.

Speaking of triangles (note the segue), I was able to turn those Klingon weapons into triangular plowshares. But first, the front bulkhead had to be finish welded to the side rails since there are some hidden joint seams. The pic shows the front floor diagonals tacked in.
Attachment:
011-1.jpg

The front floor diagonals provide the base for the verticals that the aft legs of the front wishbones attach to. Tops of the verticals get supported by more diagonals.
Attachment:
013-1.jpg

The top of the front bulkhead got the sister tube tacked in.
Attachment:
012-1.jpg

The front bulkhead gets braced by the diagonals shown supported by magnets. These will get tacked in after the sister tube gets hidden joints welded.
Attachment:
015-1.jpg

Made a preliminary mock-up of diff placement and some rear suspension support structure. Grasshopper legs a'la Team Slotus? Maybe. Stay tuned. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
002-1.jpg

Working to put together an engine/bellhousing/tranny mock-up so engine placement can be fixed. Some progress made on engine mount design/selection. :chev:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: June 2, 2013, 10:33 pm 
We are Slotus!

Nice seque, Tom! Even nicer plowshares!
Now the front of that frame looks like a secret sign in some runic alphabet. I knew it! You're actually a Wizard, aren't you? Is your name really Gandalf, or perhaps Merlin?
Are ya using your mystic powers to keep the evil spirits from breaking YOUR axles:?: :?: :?:
Hint: Don't weld a lizard up inside the frame rails... Bad juju!!!

You really gonna copy those grasshopper legs? That'd be cool!!! A little bit of Slotus in Car9... I'd be soooo proud! :mrgreen:

Nice work, Tom, as always.
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 3, 2013, 1:45 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Now the front of that frame looks like a secret sign in some runic alphabet. I knew it! You're actually a Wizard, aren't you? Is your name really Gandalf, or perhaps Merlin?

JD, Some would say more akin to Radagast the Brown. Though I do like the Gandalf reference, except I have this percipient fear of Balrogs... :twisted:

The upper and lower side rails are now sealed, so if any lizards crawled inside, they're there for the duration. Bad juju or no.

And the grasshopper legs...thinking more about inverted ones, as there's not enough lower structure to attach Slotus style legs to. But following Team Slotus in spirit, though upside down...maybe there's bad juju in that :shock: D'ya think green paint would help?

PostPosted: June 3, 2013, 8:44 am 
We are Slotus!

Dear Radagast... I mean TOM...

In my build log there's a picture that CS3 posted of his diff mounts for an Explorer 8.8. (page 117) The grasshopper legs are somewhat shorter and more "from above" than mine are. Perhaps that would work in the Car9 rear frame better than the "from below" kind like I used.

And green paint makes EVERYTHING better!!! But the real question is...
Attachment:
Radagast.jpg
You don't REALLY have bird poop in one of your sideburns, do you??? :ack:

Peace, Love and Glad Cows Don't Fly-
JD "Samwise" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 12:04 am 

Quote:
You don't REALLY have bird poop in one of your sideburns, do you??? :ack:
Jeez, from bikinis to bird poop in only three posts. Truly remarkable :cheers:

On the build front (note lack of segue :) ), I bought some GTO engine mounts from Craig's List. At least the driver's side should work well. And I "won" a lightly used QuickTime bellhousing on ebay. So all I need now is an empty TKO tranny case. With that and the plastic LS block I'll be able to bolt together a complete drivetrain mockup weighing about 80 lbs. I should be able to wrestle those pieces around the table, find the right engine location and complete the engine mounts without having to take the chassis off the table and using the cherry picker to move the 600+ lbs. of the real thing. And my back should be a lot happier working a table height. Pictures will follow when these parts come together. Come on, UPS truck...

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 7:42 am 
The voice of reason

Tom, thanks for the pictures of the diff in place. I'm working on the SketchUp drawing now with a couple of ideas...

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 1:52 pm 

Quality work. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 8:58 pm 

Greg, thanks for the kind words. This is a fun build. Most of the credit should go to Marcus for Car9's concept and design.
As this is one of the first Car9 builds, there’s still a few T’s to cross, but that’s part of the fun. Just wish I was a little further down the road…actually on the road would be even better :drive:

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 9:03 pm 
We are Slotus!

horizenjob wrote:
Tom, thanks for the pictures of the diff in place. I'm working on the SketchUp drawing now with a couple of ideas...

And here it is!
Attachment:
Bad Grasshopper2.jpg

Looks good, Marcus! Just needs a little green paint. Or bird poop. Or a bikini?
:rofl:

PostPosted: June 4, 2013, 10:46 pm 

JD, I think Marcus's overhead truss design looks more like this:
Attachment:
Grasshopper.jpg

And green is ok, but the bikini...:ack:

PostPosted: June 9, 2013, 4:48 am 

Trochu wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo, Tom, and Trochu, for that matter-
I'm looking at the picture of the floor-mounted MCs that Trochu posted and pondering, thinking out loud, kinda- Does that installation put the tubing and remote reservoirs in the cockpit somewhere? Or do the tubes from MC to reservoir go through the firewall when it's all done?

I put the remote reservoir tubes on the MCs to see how they would fit. I'm not planning on using them. The reservoirs will be mounted directly to the MCs, which are located inside the cockpit. There are +/- of putting them there vs the engine bay. I weighed the pros/cons and decided I'd rather have them in the footwell for ease of construction, keeping them cooler, cleans up the engine bay/doesn't get in the way of steering column/headers/or slave cylinder, can mount the reservoirs directly to the MCs and don't have to deal with remotes, which have a tendancy to leak, etc. If they aren't maintenance free, it was a bad choice, but I'm assuming they will be......

I may be wrong but you may want to re-think the remote reservoirs... You need to have your reservoirs mounted higher then the calipers to avoid potential back-flow (or use min press valves).

Chris

PostPosted: June 9, 2013, 12:27 pm 

My rebuilt Girling master cylinders are floor mounted with integral reservoirs. They are below the MR2 calipers. I had no trouble bleeding them and have not had any pedal issues in over a year and 3000+ miles.

JMR

There are no residual valves in the lines. M/cyl directly connected to the calipers. I was worried after rebuilding the rear calipers as they have the parking brake built in. Followed the factory manual and it bled very easily.

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: June 25, 2013, 2:33 am 

Back to work on the project after some time off for travel. Been working on placing drivetrain components at both ends of the car as a lot of structure and bracing is dependent on where the engine, etc. sits. Still need to finalize the bellhousing / footwell space, though.

This blue tape is an attempt to simulate the many 1" diagonal tubes in the engine compartment. I'm running out of wiggle room for the motor.
Attachment:
015-1.jpg

I won a bellhousing on ebay, just the model I wanted, but it still needs 1" trimmed off the bottom flange, as the Corvette pan is 1" shorter than this bellhousing. This will drop the engine 1" lower than in the photos and will put the bottom of the pan and bellhousing at the bottom of the frame. I'll need to mock-up a throttle pedal to finish out the footwell requirement.
Attachment:
017-1.jpg
I also found some Corvette engine mounts on Craig's List. The aluminum castings are shown sitting on ABS pipe couplings which simulate Delrin pads. (The wood block stack will be lowered by an inch when the bellhousing gets trimmed.) I'll need to figure out some structure between the side rail and the floor diagonal to meet up with the engine mount. The Delrin pad will be made to the height required (1.5" shown) and the added structure needs to allow access to a nut fit beneath the pad.
Attachment:
012-1.jpg

A tension tube (0.75" x 0.065" DOM) will run from the top side rail to the engine mount (middle blue tape here) to help carry the engine weight.
Attachment:
016-1.jpg

At the back of the car, the 1.5" square vertical tubes that flank the diff have been fit. Both are cut in metal now and will have b^shings added for the LCA inner pivots. As the diff is asymmetric, finding the right spacing between the tubes was a bit challenging. Diff mounts to follow.
Attachment:
003-1.jpg
Attachment:
001-1.jpg

The remaining front suspension verticals were cut tonight, so now the b^shings for those can be laid out, too. Then I'll fire up the TIG and have a b^shing bash. Ten of those puppies to go in. Then lots of tube to tack in place.

I'm trying to locate a junk TKO tranny case to attach to the bellhousing to complete the drivetrain mock-up. Anyone bust a box recently?

Progress in fits and starts...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 96  Next