LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: April 28, 2020, 7:39 am 

Tom,

Fred Flintstone would love your tires! :lol:

Looking really good!

Thom

PostPosted: May 10, 2020, 1:46 am 

BostonWill wrote:
Fred Flintstone would love your tires! :lol:
Thanks, Thom. they should also make pretty good paddle wheels if I went amphibian. :D

Progress been a bit slowed by some really fantastic spring weather, the requisite landscape work, getting the boat launched for the season, and of course the added CV overhead to life in general. But progress is progress.

A pair of br@ck^ts were fabbed up for the front fender mounts. 1/8" cold rolled steel and some blacksmithing:
Attachment:
P5035158-1.jpg

These bolt up to the Wilwood Mustang II front spindles:
Attachment:
P5035159-1.jpg

Only thing left is to connect the dots, add some gussets and I'll have fender stays a'la Perry:
Attachment:
P5095163-1.jpg

A bit heavy, but should be hell-for-stout. Some rain forecast for next week which should help get these done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 10, 2020, 3:03 am 

Tom,

When you say 'blacksmithing' are you really saying you hit it with the BIG hammer? Those certainly look the part. My 1942 Indian Chief spat mounts are doing the job as long as you don't sit on them plus they really help with keeping road debris out of your teeth and out of the car. Not as sturdy as yours and when/if I lose a fender that will be the route I will take.

Cheers! and stay safe.

PostPosted: May 10, 2020, 1:36 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Tom,

When you say 'blacksmithing' are you really saying you hit it with the BIG hammer? Those certainly look the part. My 1942 Indian Chief spat mounts are doing the job as long as you don't sit on them plus they really help with keeping road debris out of your teeth and out of the car. Not as sturdy as yours and when/if I lose a fender that will be the route I will take.

Cheers! and stay safe.
Hi Larry, glad you are up and at 'em again.

When I bent the br@ck^ts L-shaped support arms in the brake, the cold-rolled 1/8" x 3/4" strap actually cracked :BH: And they were too tough to form well with the old vice and big hammer approach. So I started over, dusted off the old oxyacetylene rig which hadn't been used in years (still had gas though) and annealed the bend lines. When they cooled, the arms could be bent with hand tools and set at the exact angles needed.

I had forgotten how much fun it was to apply (a lot of) heat to the problem. :mrgreen:

I do like your front fender spat mounts. Very cool 8) I went with Perry's fender stay approach which should be near bullet proof and pretty easy to adapt to the Wilwood uprights..

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: May 19, 2020, 1:40 am 

A mini-milestone was made during lockdown. :D A front fender got mounted today! Well, only the left one, and only 95% done. But progress is progress!

First off, acknowledgements to Perry for his fender mounting approach which I copied slavishly.

Starting with the br@ck^t posted last week, the fender stay's radial legs were welded on.
Attachment:
P5165168-1.jpg

Using the Flintstone tire + clearance jig made last week, the fender was laid on
Attachment:
P5095163-1.jpg
and horizontal support bars were fitted to the fender and fish-mouthed to match-up with the radial legs. IIRC, Perry uses a mitered cut for this joint, but a coped butt joint was easier in my case.
Here's with the wood jig removed:
Attachment:
P5185176-1.jpg
and yes, the legs need to be trimmed. :oops:

With the fender off, Here's the stay:
Attachment:
P5185180-1.jpg
Attachment:
P5185181-1.jpg

After finish welding the joints, the legs will get trimmed to length, gussets added to the inside of the corners and bevels cut and capped on the outside corners. Rivnuts and button-head screws will replace the Cleco pins.

Perry, I think you triangulate with a brace between the two legs. Given that my bracket bolts to the spindle below the UBJ, if I add triangulation the brace would have to be removable to be able to take the fender stay assembly off without unbolting the UBJ. There is some triangulation at the base of the front leg already and the fender itself adds a triangulation effect. Do you recommend I add a brace between the two legs?

It’s starting to look like a car.
Attachment:
P5185170-1.jpg

With rubber tires it would be a roller. :roll:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 19, 2020, 4:22 am 

Good progress Tom. Looking like a mean auto.

PostPosted: May 19, 2020, 9:20 am 

Looking forward to seeing it again next trip out west. Workmanship is just first rate. We will try to not pick a rainy day!
Best,
Paul

PostPosted: May 19, 2020, 9:53 am 

JPS Europa wrote:
Looking forward to seeing it again next trip out west. Workmanship is just first rate. We will try to not pick a rainy day!
Best,
Paul

That only happens a couple days a year there! LOL :lol:

Thom

PostPosted: May 19, 2020, 12:07 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Perry, I think you triangulate with a brace between the two legs. Given that my bracket bolts to the spindle below the UBJ, if I add triangulation the brace would have to be removable to be able to take the fender stay assembly off without unbolting the UBJ. There is some triangulation at the base of the front leg already and the fender itself adds a triangulation effect. Do you recommend I add a brace between the two legs?

Looking good Tom, remember even if you do add permanent triangulation and having to remove the UBJ to install, in theory you will only do it once on final assembly. This is not counting the many times installing and removing during fabrication :D
Excited to see the finished stays.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 20, 2020, 12:22 pm 

Thanks for the feed back, folks.

horchoha wrote:
Looking good Tom, remember even if you do add permanent triangulation and having to remove the UBJ to install, in theory you will only do it once on final assembly. This is not counting the many times installing and removing during fabrication.
Good thoughts, Perry. I have ordered some 0.5" x 0.049" tube for triangulation. Since I am using rod ends for my UBJs, any future disassembly shouldn't be too hard.

JPS Europa wrote:
Paul, good to hear from you. Come on out rain or shine. Hopefully all the lockdown and travel restrictions will ease up soon.

Do welding helmets qualify as PPE?

PostPosted: May 20, 2020, 2:43 pm 

seattletom wrote:
Do welding helmets qualify as PPE?

You bet they do!
...and oh yeah...other Tom/Thom. Seattle has great weather in the summer months. Winter, well you got that part right.

PostPosted: May 20, 2020, 4:50 pm 

Pick a none rainy day and I'll bring the wee beastie. This time I"ll cross the bridge. Thanks for the suggestion Tom.

PostPosted: June 5, 2020, 1:49 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Pick a none rainy day and I'll bring the wee beastie. This time I"ll cross the bridge. Thanks for the suggestion Tom.
Come by any time Larry. Your discerning eye is always helpful.

On another note, there are many reasons I keep a Build Log on this Forum. In addition to all the feedback, advise, encouragement, camaraderie and humor, it serves as my memory for those “why in the h^ll did I do it that way?” moments. As build months roll into years and my own mileage increases those moments seem to be happening more often. :shock: So the loss of some in-context pictures during the Big Crash has caused some head scratching.

This spring’s lockdowns and curfews provided slack time to rebuild those corrupted pages. All are now “refreshed” and made whole. And then, starting with my Build Log page 1, Print Views of each page were stored locally as pdf files. So now I have all 90+ MB stored on my own computer with new pages to be stored as they occur. If I can figure a way to index it beyond just by page number it will be more useful. But at least I have a backup in case the unthinkable happens (again.)

Ok, back to the build. Added some triangulation and other details to the front fender stays. Here they are in primer.
Attachment:
IMG_0684-1.jpg

A coat of paint and they’re good enough.

And, yes dear, the deck does need re-staining

PostPosted: June 17, 2020, 7:43 pm 

Another small step completed: I hung the horn.

Following Chuck's recommendation I got a Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn. Easy to mount with a workable location. Not a lot of good space available though, but found a place inside the front suspension bulkhead. So made a wee br@ck^t, and stuck it in there.
Attachment:
P6165184-1.jpg
Attachment:
P6165185-1.jpg

Then got concerned about horn clearance with my forward-mounted reverse-rotation alternator. :oops:

Got the alternator out of its storage bin to check for interference but couldn't remember how my funky forward mount worked. :roll:

So had to dig back into my Build Log to April 2016 to find a picture and explanation:
Attachment:
P4244170-1.jpg

Fortunately, looks like everything should (just) clear.

The archeological dig into my archives did provide incentive to start building an index into the Forum Page pdf files I just saved. One more Covid-time project. :|

PostPosted: June 17, 2020, 8:43 pm 

Can you post a picture of the horn in action? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 96  Next