LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently February 25, 2020, 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
PostPosted: January 24, 2020, 10:11 pm 

Trochu wrote:
I'm just razzing you Tom. If someone read that and went and bought 0.5", they'd almost deserve it. Bet a sheet of that wouldn't be locost. It's good info Tom, which I appreciate. I've yet to do the bodywork on mine. Not really looking forward to it, the methodology provided helps.
:cheers:

Started on my scuttle. Same 0.050" 5052 alloy. I cut the aluminum to size before I started bending the sides around the Argon bottle. This didn't leave me with enough leverage to force the proper shape, particularly along the lower edges. I want to cold roll the skin to avoid heat distortion in the flat top section, so annealing is out. Guess I'll need to finish up the bends with a slip roller.
Attachment:
image0-1.jpg
image0-1.jpg [ 439.41 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]
Attachment:
image1-1.jpg
image1-1.jpg [ 487.99 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Also bought some head rests from fleabay. These are halo-style units from a '97 Suzuki X90. Got the idea from Johnlee63: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20437
I'll need to locate the head rests properly once the seats get bolted down and then build some adjustable/removeable mounts. A re-spray with black vinyl dye is in order as well.
Attachment:
P1245105-1.jpg
P1245105-1.jpg [ 459.17 KiB | Viewed 263 times ]

Off to find some DIY time on a slip roller...

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 3:38 am 

Tom,

Do you have a slip roller or at least easy access to one? Lee, my neighbor that attended the last 2 SALE events has one.

Cheers!

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 7:19 am 

Also bought some head rests from fleabay. These are halo-style units from a '97 Suzuki X90. Got the idea from Johnlee63: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 23&t=20437
I'll need to locate the head rests properly once the seats get bolted down and then build some adjustable/removeable mounts. A re-spray with black vinyl dye is in order as well.
Attachment:
The attachment P1245105-1.jpg is no longer available

I have also been looking at headrests for mine. Noticed a set of Volvo headrests that I may pick up and do the same thing. Not fond of banging my head on my rollbar because of its loction.

Attachment:
Head rest & rollbar.png
Head rest & rollbar.png [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 239 times ]

Attachment:
Volvo headrest.jpg
Volvo headrest.jpg [ 234.27 KiB | Viewed 239 times ]

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 2:40 pm 

BostonWill wrote:
I have also been looking at headrests for mine. Noticed a set of Volvo headrests that I may pick up and do the same thing. Not fond of banging my head on my rollbar because of its location.
Head rests are also important to protect against whiplash if you get rear-ended. So a big safety consideration.

Those Volvo units are interesting. The halo style was also used on '84-'86 Mustang GT's, hard to find good ones, but repro ones are available ($$). '97-'05 Pontiac Grand Prix's, '86-'89 Jeep Cherokees and some '98-'05 VW Beetles also had halo-style head rests. Lots of options and they can be re-colored with a good quality vinyl dye.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: January 25, 2020, 2:52 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Do you have a slip roller or at least easy access to one? Lee, my neighbor that attended the last 2 SALE events has one.
Thanks, Larry, that's good to know. I called Ted and he may have one that will work. I'll know Monday. I would also have him do some TIG work on a couple of aluminum cooling system parts while I'm at his shop.

If Ted doesn't have one that will work, I'll send you an email re Lee's roller. The sides I need to roll are 28.5" long, so I'll need a slip roller of at least 30" capacity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75