LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 19, 2017, 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: August 26, 2017, 3:55 pm 

Work trips finally calmed down enough for me to go do a leakdown test and compression test. Was expecting a head gasket issue and poor numbers on the leakdown, but got bizarrely good numbers. Very possible that cylinder 2 wasn't perfectly at tdc.

All tests done while the engine is cold
Leakdown Test
cylinder 1 90/85 - 5.5%
cylinder 2 90/77 - 14.4%
cylinder 3 90/87 - 3.3%
cylinder 4 90/85 - 5.5%
cylinder 5 90/86 - 4.4%
cylinder 6 90/85 - 5.5%
cylinder 7 90/83 - 7.7%
cylinder 8 90/85 - 5.5%

Compression Test
cylinder 1 160psi
cylinder 2 150psi
cylinder 3 155psi
cylinder 4 150psi
cylinder 5 150psi
cylinder 6 145psi
cylinder 7 150psi
cylinder 8 150psi

PostPosted: October 9, 2017, 9:37 pm 

I had a spare radiator so I tried this to see if a bit more radiator might solve the problem. Long story short, I went about 14 minutes at idle (starting at 180) before it started to edge up past 190. Not sure how high it would have climbed, but this is also without a radiator cap and instead using the spillfree funnel. The pic is showing where I'm testing a second radiator in series. The fan on the second radiator was NOT hooked up at this point. Going to try a few more times while flushing the radiator, and then try with a cap to see what I can do. The goal is constant idling for an hour if I want. If this works, I'll probably try a drag radiator that I can tuck into the rear of the car (if there is room) and I'll try to mount a couple fans on it.

PostPosted: October 10, 2017, 11:42 am 

Back in the '70s with third-generation emissions controls, many OEMs increased their operating temperatures from 180-190 to 205-215; higher for some cars. It was common for many of them to "chug" into the coolant overflow bottles when shut off.

The higher temperatures freaked out many owners, which is why Detroit went back to uncalibrated gauges or "hot" lights. (read up on the early Kawasaki Ninjas and how the factory recalled the bikes to add a resistor to make the gauge read lower)

If you can keep the temperature under 215 on a hot day it won't hurt the engine a bit. In fact, the engine is more efficient at that temperature and cylinder wall wear goes down. Downside is you might not have much reserve capacity for, say, pitting after a track session, but chugging into the bottle then isn't going to hurt it.

PostPosted: October 10, 2017, 10:26 pm 

Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to try doing the rear radiator (a smaller one that tucks under the car) and trust that I can accept the possible highish temps. If I can live with that I'm fine. I actually think that a secondary with fans might actually solve the issue entirely.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9