LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: April 5, 2016, 2:49 pm 

Started on the top, right side, Brkts.
The board on top positions the centers of the rod ends from the center line of the frame.
The 3/4" x 1 1/2" fixture sets the height.
Attachment:
UCAbBrkts01.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts02.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts03.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts04.jpg

The top pieces will be added after the 302 and its radiator are in place. The top rad support and the brace going back to the firewall will attach to the top (somehow).
Attachment:
UCAbBrkts04b.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts05.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts05b.jpg

The first, back, piece took the longest.
Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 5, 2016, 2:59 pm 

The front is basically more of the same.
The front piece will go on after the horizontal tube, and all the other brakt pieces, are finish welded in place. It will hook under the 1" tube at the bottom.
Attachment:
UCAbBrkts06.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts06b.jpg

Attachment:
UCAbBrkts06c.jpg

Ron
Blue tape can be used with the transfer punch if using a hammer isn't an option.
Attachment:
FrntFtBrkt xfr01.jpg

Attachment:
FrntBkBrkt xfr01.jpg

Front Brkt pieces ready to weld.
Attachment:
FrntBrkt 01.jpg

Attachment:
FrntBrkt 02.jpg

Attachment:
FrntBrkt 03.jpg

Attachment:
FrntBrkt 04.jpg

Ron

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 6, 2016, 4:00 pm 

The name of that tune!...
Attachment:
HorzTubeSub01.jpg

Attachment:
HorzTubeSub02.jpg

Attachment:
HorzTubeSub03.jpg

Fully welded the three Brkt pieces to the Horz. tube, layed it back in place and added the front. The two tabs hanging in the middle go on either side of the 1" square vertical that the brkt tube passes through.
Piece of cake.
Attachment:
DatTune01.jpg

Attachment:
DatTune02.jpg

Attachment:
DatTune03.jpg

Ron
4/7
Changed left side front piece. I'll trim the right to match later. A bit of work but worth it for the cleaner look.
Most of it will be hidden by the side flares on the nose.
Attachment:
TopLeft01.jpg

Attachment:
TopLeft02.jpg

RSV

More or less done with the front
I need to add some gussets, trim away from the steering shaft, and cut, drill and thread the 7/8" x 0.156 tubes for the top arms.
And some of the welding I have to flip the frame to get to.
Attachment:
RtSide.jpg

Attachment:
LeftSide.jpg

Attachment:
More or less.jpg

Attachment:
TrimTime.jpg

All this just so I could use an uncut rack and pinion!

Ron

PostPosted: April 10, 2016, 12:45 pm 

The before and after I trimmed the bottom, back of the Brakt tabs.
Attachment:
TrimTimeClose up.jpg

Attachment:
MuchMoreThanLess.jpg

Despite the blur, daylight shows between the universal and the frame. I will need shorter set screws.
Attachment:
FrntUClears.jpg

I think I'll take a little more from here before the frame is painted.
Attachment:
Room for more.jpg

Looks like enough room to wrench the PS hoses. I'm checking out a Saginaw (sp) pump with a remote tank.
Routing the hoses is something else to figure out before the 'R' braces and the support for the inboard radiator can be configured.
Attachment:
PSHoseSpace.jpg

The next bit of space related fun will be fitting headers to the left side of the 302 ci V8.
Attachment:
HopingForHeadrroom.jpg

Oh yeah, I found these on Craig's list. 4 for $100.00.
Attachment:
The16inchWheels.jpg

Ron
Criags List yielded up a 1998 Mustang 8.8 LS rear Axel. Final necessary piece for the 5.0 upgrade.
Attachment:
Axel8,8 LS 1998.jpg

Attachment:
Ratio,327.jpg

Now I have an opportunity to improve on the axle's Satchel Link Brkts! :roll:
Ron

Last edited by STranger 7 on April 16, 2016, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 14, 2016, 6:13 pm 

Setting her aside for now. I need to find my table saw and make some sawdust.
Attachment:
SideStep.jpg

While I was cleaning. Ready to add brkts.
Attachment:
Trimmed01.jpg

Attachment:
Trimmed02.jpg

I want the new axle in place so the 302 engine and T5 can be aligned to it.
Back at it ASAP.
Ron

PostPosted: April 14, 2016, 10:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

Great posts! Good shots of what you're doing, nice work being done and I especially want to thank you for not saying brack... Uhh... You know, THAT word... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 16, 2016, 6:38 am 

Thanks JD. Yeah,.. after that blacksmiths puzzle of a front suspension, the "B" word is now a 4 letter word. :lol:
But...the more you do something the faster it goes.
Ron

Friday 05,13,2016

Set the rear axle up on the stand so the Brkts for the Satchel Link setup can be added.
This SN95 Rear is wider that the Fox axle by about 1 1/2"for 61 3/8" wms to wms.

Attachment:
Ready4SatchelBrkts.jpg

Attachment:
10inches.jpg

Attachment:
NoWings.jpg

The opening at the rear bulkhead is 10". The pinion is offset 5/8" which means the 9" wide "wings" will need trimming on the passenger side to clear.

Ron

PostPosted: June 15, 2016, 2:11 pm 

Nothing new to report as far as work on the 7. Moved the frame to a small ( 11 ft. x 15 ft.) building on the back of our lot. Have a large collection of chain saw harvested wood that can be moved to the wood shop ( where the frame was) to sort through and process. Until then the frame is hanging from the ceiling. Other parts in one corner.
Attachment:
HangnTight.jpg

Attachment:
NewDigs.jpg

Need some more lights and some insulation in the walls and ceiling before winter.
Also brought home a 1967 MGB GT. It needs all the lower sheet metal replaced, but the price was right-ish.

Factory replacement sheet metal is available. I already had a 1999 Mustang V6 and matching T5, so I figured Why not!! I can be setting up to do the work on the GT while finishing the "7".
Attachment:
noPSRust01.jpg

I set a 225/50/R16 against the front and Photo Shopped over the rust, just for Grins.
Attachment:
PSnoRust01.jpg

Ron

As it stands for now, this GT will get a tube frame, 302 V8, IRS and possibly these fenders from http://www.preformresources.com/store.htm
Attachment:
SpeedsterBodyKit.jpg

on a GT they can look like this
Attachment:
DonMunoz-MGBGTV8-SpeedsterKitA.jpg

Attachment:
DonMunoz-MGBGTV8-SpeedsterKitB.jpg

The front fenders and valance bolt on, while the rear fenders attach with a provided adhesive

Ron

Last edited by STranger 7 on December 3, 2016, 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 30, 2016, 3:51 pm 

Learning a lot this summer from working on the old MGB fuel and electrical systems.

The 1967 MGB GT to be "restored" is being changed from a positive ground to a negative ground car.
The generator is being replaced by an later alternator with built-in regulator.
The single brake master cylinder will be replaced by a newer style dual style.
New brakes all around.

These are all tasks I'm facing with the "7".
Working on the Bs has resulted in a much clearer picture of what needs to be done.

These 2 have been added to the herd. Another 1967 MGB GT with a much better body,
Attachment:
67,2,01.jpg

Attachment:
67,2,02.jpg

A while back I lucked on the Moss sill kits for both sides at less than the catalog price for one side.
Attachment:
MossSills.jpg

This 1973 Roadster that is almost road worthy.
Attachment:
1973R,01.jpg

Attachment:
1973R,02.jpg

This 1978 hulk had the engine, trans, brakes, suspension ( minus the rack )
and the firewall changes for the factory V8.
Attachment:
1975R,01.jpg

I saved the firewall and the sides for the fenders and inner wheel wells.
Attachment:
1978 sides.jpg

Taking it apart screw by screw by bolt... was an education in itself.

My thinking is to restore one GT, hot rod the other (302, T5 ...) Repair and run the roadster until the 7 is on the road.
In the end the plan is to have The Stranger 7, a MGB GT hot rod/ autocross toy and sell the others.
Plenty of spare parts for a 1962 style lotus 7 replica, if I ever find the time. :)

Making space to lower the 7s frame so the 302 and trans can be setup. Hope to have pictures of that after the New Year.

Happy Holidays to all,
Ron

End of year update: Decided to finish this 7 using the Ranger V6 and trans and the 7.5 mustang ear axle that's already set up to the frame.
The longer I work on this and the more I learn, the more I find that needs changing. So I'll finish this one, learn what I can about Aluminum bodywork, and drive it while I work on the Bs. Then go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with.
All this will be after the surgery for a torn rotator cuff and the work to get back in the game.
Until then it's back to lurking and learning.
Ron

Last edited by STranger 7 on December 30, 2016, 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 1, 2016, 4:53 pm 

"You never have *just one* old British car..."

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 2:07 pm 

You live and learn, right!?!
The shoulder injury has given me a lot of time to think about limitations.
Physical limitations, as in " your not as young, or strong, as you once were" and a major wake up concerning how much spare time is actually available to work on " hobbies" and the amount of work that can realistically be accomplished.
So I had to admit it is time to make choices and make new plans.

I gave the red MGB to my brother-in law. The 1968 MGB GT will be registered as an Antique Vehicle ( no inspection required in Va.) painted light gray and made to run well enough to keep the gas from going bad.

The "Strictly Touring 1984 V6 ranger based Locost 7" is again going to be Ranger based. This means using the V6 engine and 5 speed trans from the Ranger and the 7.5 mustang rear that is already set up for the frame as originally planned.

Why the change? Well it's like this. The suspension is setup for rod ends in back and on the top in front. I've run across too many discussions where people, that have rod ends, talk about how harsh the ride is. At my age I have no use for that. Also over time I've learn enough that I'm not that happy with the frame design. I'm sure it will work. But to get the most out a V8 to many changes would need to be made.

Also it will be on the road much quicker this way.

The Duraspark distributor and ignition module have arrived and I hope be posting pictures, of progress made, again soon.
Ron

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 4:20 pm 

For what it's worth, Ron, I think you made the right decision. I'm really at the same point where I want to focus exclusively on my Locost and getting it done. I had to shelve some other projects, and sell my little off-road truck, to make sufficient time for the Locost. A few weeks out from those decisions, I feel really good about it, and feel they were the right ones.

As a cyclist, I'm sure you'll appreciate the one exception I made to my new regime of "discipline." I did take some of the money from the sale of the truck and bought a new bike. I also dusted off my copy of "Ride Your Way Lean" by Selene Yeager. I've gotta be able to fit in that cockpit once I finish it! :lol:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 1:27 pm 

I agree with Lonnie, I think you made the right decision. There were a number of times on my build where there was a decision between better performance or getting it done faster, and as the build went on I went with the get-it-done option more and more and I'm happy for it. Looking forward to seeing yours done!

PostPosted: February 6, 2017, 4:25 pm 

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement. I really need to see it sitting on its wheels and hear the engine running again. Good to see the progress made on both of your builds.

PostPosted: February 26, 2017, 3:00 pm 

My shoulder has healed enough that I'm able to use the right hand to re-size pictures. Soooooo
Before surgery, an engine stand showed up in craigs list for $40.00. I grabbed it and mounted the 2.8l Cologne V6,thinking that it could be at least cleaned one handed.
Attachment:
FUD01.jpg

Rebuilt "non-feedback" carbs cost over $200.00 from Rockauto. I'm going to rebuild this early 80's Motorcraft 2100. The deluxe kit costs under $60.00 and it's the same size as the original 2150. (1.08)
Also received a 1978 Mustang II Duraspark distributor and control mod.
Attachment:
FUD02.jpg

Attachment:
FUD06.jpg

Attachment:
FUD03.jpg

Just to keep it simple, I'll use the 1984 Ranger carb riser.
Attachment:
FUD04.jpg

I may be able to buy a 1977 Mustang II 2.8L V6 engine, bell housing, and 4 speed transmission. I mainly want the bell housing, which can be used to bolt a T5 to the Cologne V6, But the owner wants to sell everything together. The 77 engine uses a lower riser for the carb, has the right carb and distributor. I haven't decided if I really need/want a T5.

Ron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 27  Next