LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: February 28, 2017, 4:53 am 

:D Hello from occupied S.E. Arizona.
I have had modem problems, brain problems and health problems but still consuming space here on Planet Earth. This new MAC Desktop is giving the old buzzard fits but slowly getting it figured out. I have a few pictures of the first liner I am trying to get in the photos file so I can post them here. It has been too cold for me to do much outside but soon I will be complaining about the heat,
Be safe and enjoy your projects.
Howard :cheers:

PostPosted: February 28, 2017, 7:41 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Howard!
Good to hear from ya, Buddy! Having trouble sorting out that new computer, huh? What is it they say about "Old dogs" and "new tricks" or something? :mrgreen: Just keep messin' with it, you'll figger it out. Or, invite a neighbor's 12-year-old over for a visit, the kid will know how instantly... At least, that's been my experience! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 6:55 am 

This is a test
Attachment:
IMG_1337.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 7:29 am 

Okay,... Finally making some progress... I will play around with some re-sizing and post a couple other pictures Howard has sent me of his first streamliner when it was still in primer. I had posted the text earlier (during the "blackout") Stand by for more... :wink:

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 8:16 am 

Here are some photos and a little more detail about Howard's very first Streamliner

I took the car to Speedweek in primer to have it inspected before paint. The car alone on a borrowed trailer is seen sitting on the road to the salt. The bottom of the rear of the car sweeps up in these pictures and caused turbulence behind the car. Continuing the bottom straight back for the wheels made it harder to load and unload but added almost 3 MPH to the speed.
Attachment:
Howard Liner 1a.jpg

The group picture shows my car third from the left with the current liners running. The third from the right is a motorcycle liner not a four wheeler. The frontal area comparison is obvious.
Attachment:
Howard Liner 2a.jpg

My philosophy is: Punch the smallest hole possible in the air and then leave the air alone. All the wheel bubbles etc. cause separated airflow and turbulence. Turbulence = drag and drag = horsepower. It takes 4 times the horsepower to double your speed. All these are known formulas.
Attachment:
Howard Liner 3a.jpg

Thank you Howard for sharing more about your Bonneville experiences!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 10:56 am 

These pics are great, but something happened with the third one. Click on it and nothing happens. Looks like it didn't form a link for some reason.

EDIT: Never Mind! Everything just came up. WEIRD!

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 1:07 pm 

:D
WOW! Brains better than mine have been at work. Thank you.
I appreciate your interest and thoughts. My son Keith has spent all week with me trying to get some things done, I have many more pictures and stories to tell but probably will not get it done.
I retired in 1988 after a heart attack at my desk. I worked 32 years for IBM Corp. as a grunt to Managing 23 graduate engineers. In 2000 IBM hired the CEO of RJR NABISCO as the new CEO of the company. He stopped ALL cost of living increases for retirees so my pension as the same as it was in 2000. Life is a one lap race so I chose to accomplish some things with my time here, I am out of money. I eat what I can afford rather than what I should eat and cannot afford to hire someone to look after me. HARD COLD FACT,
I saw a video of my first car at speed and noticed I had a rooster tail of salt dust behind the car. I made a test panel that extended the lower body line all the way to the tail and did not kick up behind the rear wheels. It increased our speed almost 3 MPH. Little things matter. my son is: knafzger@gmail.com. If I go away contact him please.
Thank you for your interest and friendship.

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 1:30 am 

Well, I hope you don't check out too soon, but thanks for sharing some of your stories with us. I, as well as many others on here, appreciate it.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 3, 2017, 1:45 pm 

Thanks for sharing, Howard. It's great to see the photos AND learn what you accomplished with your own ingenuity and "locost" attitude. Hang in there!

Best,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 2:14 am 

:)
Hello all.
Working on health problem. It APPEARS I am suffering from severe dehydration. Drinking like a fool {water and Gatorade} and slowly getting better. Living alone prevents a partner from observing what is going on.
i am sorry to bother you guys with all this but lie all of you my will to live is strong. I am drinking a lot ad am slowly feeling netter. This new Apple desktop and I may soon part ways. I DO NOT need to struggle at my age to do what I consider basic stuff. We will see. Keep the powder dry and eat of luck to you all.

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 8:33 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Howard-
Dehydration is a problem lots of folks have and don't even know it. A nice cold diet Coke tastes good, but the sweeteners make ya pee and I think sometimes the overall result is a net loss in fluid! Same goes for most anything with caffeine.

So, in other words, you're on the right track, water and Gatorade. I don't know if they sell Powerade where you are, but it's an alternative to Gatorade and tastes a bit different. I like it better. Either way, drink up, Bro! We'll all raise a glass (of ice water) in your honor!

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 7, 2017, 1:39 am 

Saltracer wrote:
I retired in 1988 after a heart attack at my desk. I worked 32 years for IBM Corp. as a grunt to Managing 23 graduate engineers. In 2000 IBM hired the CEO of RJR NABISCO as the new CEO of the company. He stopped ALL cost of living increases for retirees so my pension as the same as it was in 2000.
Howard, I also spent 30+ years at IBM, retiring a couple of years after you did but before the regime change you mentioned. My IBM years were all spent in the field, I suspect yours were in the labs, probably including Tucson. A number of my friends at work transferred to Seattle from the Tucson lab about the time you retired. Some returned and still live in Arizona today. The Tucson lab must have been a fascinating facility in its heyday.

Those early years in computing were definitive for what 's become today's digital age. Exciting times :cheers:

Keep working on that dehydration problem. We want to hear lots more stories from the salt flats.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 7, 2017, 2:31 am 

Saltracer wrote:
Drinking like a fool...
And here, that's what I thought caused dehydration...Along with the associated hangovers.

Speaking of which. While it doesn't taste as good and is more expensive, Pedialyte is second to none when it comes to hydration.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 7, 2017, 8:11 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Howard-
I was thinking about the dehydration thing... Ya know, salt is used to dry-cure meats.
Perhaps all that time at Bonneville is catchin' up to you??? :mrgreen:

JD

PostPosted: March 7, 2017, 11:52 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yo Howard-
I was thinking about the dehydration thing... Ya know, salt is used to dry-cure meats.
Perhaps all that time at Bonneville is catchin' up to you??? :mrgreen:

JD

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next