LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 86  Next
 Post subject: Briggs Car9 build log
PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 8:10 am 

I honestly prob shouldn't even start this yet but I'm just so excited so I'm sorry in advance. I don't even know when this build is going to get started. I'm in the army and I'm trying to go to Germany. But if that falls threw ill start getting my tools together and my build table together.

I was on Fb yesterday and a guy posted up a wrecked Miata FS, 94 model, 1.6 (boo), 200,000 on OD, brand new clutch and brand new timing belt. Damage to the front and passenger rear. 400 Bucks!! I went and looked at it last night and will be picking it up tomorrow or Friday. I just could not pass this up. I'm may fix it but that is a big MAY. Lots of damage to the body. Too has seen better days but no rips or tears and interior is missing some pieces. I'm hoping I can find all the body panels in a junk yard somewhere. Its going to need a new hood, bumpers, fender, and a rear quarter panel, as well as new headlights and the chassis is bent pretty bad in front of the strut tower.

Nonetheless I am super stocked about it and can't wait to see where this takes me.

Please guys don't expect to see a frame build in the next couple of months. That is the plan with this car and the entire reason I bought this as a donor for a locost build, but ill see what happens in the up coming months and go from there.

Last edited by Briggs on November 8, 2015, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Briggs build log
PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 8:47 am 

400 bucks is an awesome start to a Miata based build.

Skip Germany and go buy some steel

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 10:38 am 

Go to Germany, tell army to ship your car over, open container, look shocked and break down crying "What have you done to my car!!"

Army insurance buys new Miata, win win!

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 7:48 pm 

TooBusy wrote:
400 bucks is an awesome start to a Miata based build.

Skip Germany and go buy some steel

Haha. Only time will tell. Ill find out come Oct.

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 7:49 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Go to Germany, tell army to ship your car over, open container, look shocked and break down crying "What have you done to my car!!"

That would be epic if I could actually get away with that.

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 9:53 pm 
We are Slotus!

Briggs wrote:
cheapracer wrote:

That would be epic if I could actually get away with that.

You could get ten years at Leavenworth... Or eleven years at Twelveworth... Or five and ten at Woolworth!

Groucho Marx, 1933.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 11:18 am 

^LOL.

Got the car home, sprayed off the grass and dirt/mud off the wheels and body. Put the car cover on it and just waiting for some time and money to start taking things off and replacing them. Excited to start working on it. I need to get under it and make sure everything looks good underneath. Decided I'm going to fix it for now and when the time comes for my build I will have a great donor.

If y'all want to move this thread elsewhere prob not the right spot for it now.

PostPosted: September 20, 2013, 11:53 am 

Starting to part out the Miata. Already sold the drivers side door. Meeting this Miata girl tomorrow. God I hope she's hot. Been talking about cars like she's a guy!

Went to the local steel warehouse today to get some materials for my roommates trailer that I'm welding. I was quoted $130 for 120 ft. of 1x1 16 gauge box. Pretty damn cheap if you ask me. Need to find out if I'm going to Germany or not. I'm tempted to start this thing!!

PostPosted: September 24, 2013, 3:39 pm 

Sold the door and sun visors to Jennifer Sunday and we are getting dinner Friday evening and as she put it "seeing where the night takes us." :D

Sold the air flow meter.

Pulling the engine/trans for a guy this week. Selling all that for $450. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

May have the diff sold. Not sure yet.

Had a guy offer me $150 for the top. Trying to get back in touch with him.

PostPosted: December 2, 2013, 5:14 pm 

Well I scraped everything minus the uprights, hubs, brakes, and some suspension arms.

I built a 4x4' build table. Not to build the Locost with but to build other things with before I get into frame building. I'm going to build a new welding kart, and a small rack for the fiesta.

My question is. What is the best way to secure the MDF to the metal frame?

I want to build one of these for my shifter kart.

PostPosted: December 6, 2013, 9:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
My question is. What is the best way to secure the MDF to the metal frame?

I'd vote for drilling holes in the MDF and frame, slightly undersized, and then use flat-head sheet metal screws about every 8 or 10 inches.

And, as you probably already know, keep that MDF away from water, moisture, humidity, don't even show it a picture of the ocean...
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 16, 2013, 10:10 pm 

Thanks Gonzo. Ive been curious as to how to mount it. I Keep the MDF in my garage. No issues with it thus far. I still need to cut the 2x4's for the legs of the table.

PostPosted: December 17, 2013, 12:17 am 

On this board we all live vicariously through each other's build experiences. In addition, the old married guys could do the same if you'd give us a hint about how things went with the Miata girl Jennifer Sunday. Our enquiring minds are curious.

PostPosted: January 3, 2014, 10:51 am 

This is my first post here but it was carefully selected. I spoke with you a couple months back about getting a lot of your miata parts for my own project via your craigslist post and just recently came across the conversation again. I've looked around this site a lot and I love watching builds come together, I can't wait to see what comes of yours being local to me.

PostPosted: January 7, 2014, 12:12 am 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
On this board we all live vicariously through each other's build experiences. In addition, the old married guys could do the same if you'd give us a hint about how things went with the Miata girl Jennifer Sunday. Our enquiring minds are curious.

Sorry just now seeing this. Been away for Christmas leave and such haven't checked in on the forum in a while. Jennifer broke up with me about 3 weeks after we started dating. She wasn't fond at all that the fact I'm going threw a divorce and that I'm still married on paper even though I told her she had nothing to worry about. She was a keeper but didn't want to keep me around.

I did meet a new very amazing young woman on New Years. 5 years older then me, no kids, doesn't smoke, doesn't do drugs, 5'2" tiny little thing with an amazing body. Told her the same deal and she has no issue with it. We'll see how this works out, so far she's a sweetheart.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 86  Next