LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: October 17, 2016, 2:52 pm 

The divots won't hurt anything. Most of them will go away when the head gets trued up.

You don't want to mill more than a minimum amount off an OHC head unless you want to get into adjustable cam sprockets or offset keys.

PostPosted: October 21, 2016, 9:58 pm 

Picked up the head this afternoon from the machine shop. He did have to take a few thousand off. It took care of the pitting at cylinder 1. He also cleaned it up and inspected for cracks and he couldn't find any. My head gasket has not come in yet. They say it hasn't shipped yet but is still expected to arrive on the 22nd by 8 pm. Something isn't updating right either it has shipped yet or it is arriving tomorrow as I don't think amazon does same day delivery in rural mo.

Chris
Build: NA Miata based +221 Se7en

PostPosted: October 22, 2016, 12:09 am 

Watch for the drone!

PostPosted: October 23, 2016, 3:29 pm 

I guess amazon figured out their problem and is sending the drone on monday. They apologized and said they are sending overnight. I will pick up the compression tester on monday as well so I can check compression after I put the new head gasket on.

Chris

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 8:44 am 

well I have the head and the gasket, but haven't been able to do much work on putting it back together. I got voluntold to help my father in law out by removing and replacing the engine in his 2001 honda civic that he let the timing belt go for too long allowing it to ruin all the valves due to honda still making interference engines. At least I am getting paid a few hundred dollars less than what the shop wanted.

Chris

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 8:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I got voluntold to help
:rofl: That's a classic! I'm stealin' it!!! :rofl:
Been there, done that... I feel your pain.

But, on the other hand, good on ya for helping the old boy out.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Last edited by GonzoRacer on November 3, 2016, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 2, 2016, 1:48 pm 

Hey Chris,

Don't be to putout by the delay. You are amassing valuable 'atta boy' points. Plus you saved FTL some serious change.

Cheers!

PostPosted: November 18, 2016, 11:07 am 

well my brother in laws civic is back together, time to get back on the seven. I got the head torqued down and everything put back together. Tonight I am going to refill the fluids and see how she runs. It should run better now than ever since I should have good compression across all cylinders. I don't have a timing light so I will have to try to put it back to where is was before I took it apart.

On Monday I am going to take the car and my nose cone to a local community college to show it to their automotive classes. They are going to narrow the back end of my nose cone to match my modified frame. For those that haven't read all the way through the log, I moved the scuttle of my frame back 6" and this changed the angle of the top rails. This caused my Haynes nose cone to be too wide at the back but the correct width at the front. I cant just split it and narrow the whole thing or it would be too narrow at the front. The body shop classes at the community college will do the work for cost of materials as it is a learning experience for them I may have them paint it as well while they have it.

Once I know the car runs again and get back from the community college, the whole thing comes apart to do the final items for painting the car. I hope to be ready for paint during my time off at Christmas,but depending on the weather, i may have to paint it in the house garage vs the shop to keep the temperature high enough.

Chris

PostPosted: February 2, 2017, 11:38 am 

not much work has been done on my car. I have been rather frustrated and lost motivation because of my engine situation. I did get out there last weekend and tore the car apart so I can finish the frame welding so I could paint it. I redid the steering rack mount so I have fore/aft adjustment so I can try to correct the akerman issues I was having. Right now I am in the middle of fitting the panel behind the seats. Also, while taking the car apart, I tidyed up the wiring harness. I will finish taping and wrapping it while out of the car.

The big news though, is I bought another miata. Why do these things keep following me home. This is my third miata now. People are going to start to wonder about me, if they havent already. This is a 96 M edition miata. Girl wrecked it in St Louis during an ice storm. A two truck picked it up and the girl decided not to pay the storage or hauling fees so the tow truck company took ownership of the car and after the 30 day waiting period listed it on craigslist. Because they have limited space and want to move the cars they keep getting, they have a policy of selling cars for $500 if running and $300 if non running regardless of the car. So I got this one for $500. 144k miles, Torsend II, 5 spd, M edition leather seats, new top with glass and defrost, new tires, all the power options, abs, wood nardi shift knob and hand brake handle. Tons of good parts for me to sell. Tons of receipts from the previous owner of all the work done; new water pump, wires, timing belt, plugs, coils EGR. all within last 10k miles. One bad thing is one of the M edition wheels was destroyed in the accident, so I do not have a matching set. I wish i did as they look nice and would be a good set for the seven for normal daily driving.

Attachment:
20170201_230400.jpg

Attachment:
20170201_230436.jpg

Attachment:
20170201_230427.jpg

Attachment:
20170201_230413.jpg

Attachment:
20170201_230357.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris

PostPosted: February 2, 2017, 7:33 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Hmmmm, a PPF and a Miata Torsen and axles? Get thee behind me satan

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 2, 2017, 7:46 pm 

Chis,

Depending on how much of the donor vehicle you keep, you should make out like a bandit. Good job!

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Moving
PostPosted: June 5, 2017, 8:13 am 

well life has thrown me anther curve ball. On the 19th of June I start a new job in Jefferson City and will be relocating there this summer/fall. This is a good move for my career and it gets us closer to family. Not sure how to move a project car but I will try. The plan is to finish weld the frame, paint it, then assemble it as best I can. We are looking at houses now and I doubt I will have quite the shop I have now, but we are hoping for at least a third car garage. I will not be giving up on the project, I have come too far.

Chris

PostPosted: June 5, 2017, 8:41 am 

Let's go back to last August:

Quote:
So next step is to get the car moving under its own power. The list isn't that large to make that happen.

Clutch hydraulics (broke the bleed screw on the slave so I need to replace the slave before I can bleed the clutch)
Brake hydraulics
Brake pads front and rear
Secure the Pedal box
steering rack
weld suspension brackets fully (don't want to pull a Hempy)
fully weld control arms
Clearance for front drive shaft U joint ( somehow the rear of the tranny is closer to the tunnel wall then it was and when the engine rocks under load it is enough to let the u joint just touch the tranny tunnel. I just need to move the mount 1/4" and I should be good. I have the room on the driver side.)

It doesn't look like *that* much to get it rolling. And it's *way* easier to move it to a new place when it can drive on and off the trailer without needing helpers and/or a winch.

Even if it has to sit outside under a cover at the new place, you could still fire it up and pull it into the garage to work on it.

PostPosted: June 5, 2017, 9:21 am 

First of all, Congrats on the new job! :cheers:

Second, +1 on TRX's comments!

PostPosted: June 5, 2017, 12:11 pm 

You are correct there isn't much. I already had it moving under its own power once and I am so close to being ready to paint the frame. I hope to get it painted and as I put it back together it will be for good. All that will be left is body panels and exterior items. That way I won't have to pull the engine again for awhile.

Chris

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next