LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: December 27, 2015, 7:29 pm 

If you've seen Star Wars, you've had time to work on the car. :)

You were on page 3, anything happening, car wise?

PostPosted: December 28, 2015, 2:09 pm 
The voice of reason

Trochu, you've found me - I was hiding in the back.

An update is well deserved. I keep resolving to start finding time and get back to my frame but I'm having trouble following thru on it. There is good news and bad. The bad news is that very little has happened on the mechanical front. The good news is that my other project, the ECU has had it's first board released to the board fabricator. At this point it should be on a UPS truck somewhere. I'll try to find my ECU thread and put a proper update there.

My basic frame is mostly welded now. I have some more to do on the diff mount, the dash inner hoop legs, the bracing at the top of the engine bay. I also need to put in the sleeves for the front suspension and rear trailing arm mounts.

If I added motor mounts soon, maybe that would help me at least see if the new ECU could fire up and idle the motor.

I'll take votes on what people would like to see next. Maybe getting to installing the diff.

PostPosted: December 28, 2015, 5:57 pm 

Hiding? I was sitting right beside you. :)

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 3:09 pm 
The voice of reason

Rescued from page 3 again!

Started clearing my bench to get back to work. Needed a new spool of wire for the welder, and there was just a few turns left on the old spool. Just enough to do a little practice and make these steel egg silhouettes. Last fall I took up target shooting for something to do with my 14 year old son. We use a 1940's .22 with peep hole sights. My local club does silhouette shoots and all the guys have fancy scopes, but we're practicing with the iron sights.

Next just a couple more tubes on the Car9 frame to go... After that it's just things like motor mounts, seats etc. At least that's what I hope.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 6:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo Marcus!
Good to hear from you!

I used to love plinking at cans and stuff with my Dad's old Marlin lever action .22 rifle. It had a hooded front sight, looked like the .30 caliber rifles in the cowboy movies and shot really good. Fun stuff!

Also, anything you can share with one of the kids is good stuff too. Glad to hear you and the boy-o are doing this stuff together.

Just a few more tubes on Car9, huh? Yeah, that's what I said, too... Five (Six? Seven?) years later, I'm still welding stuff... It's a work in progress...

Come see us!
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 31, 2017, 7:56 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Just a few more tubes on Car9, huh? Yeah, that's what I said, too... Five (Six? Seven?) years later, I'm still welding stuff... It's a work in progress...
Hi Marcus, JD just couldn't say the word, but its the br@ck^ts that take forever. Building the frame is the easy part. Hanging all the doo-dads necessary to make a running car (things like motor mounts, seats etc.) means lots of br@ck^ts to make and weld on, especially with a round tube frame. :ack:

Congrats on the progress with your ECU and on getting back to your build. :cheers:

Oh, and don't shoot your eye out. :shock:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 8:37 am 

I've found the really bad part of br@ckets is the things that hang onto them are always in the way.

Bill

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 8:41 am 
We are Slotus!

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
He made me think of that word...
Attachment:
Boom.jpg
See what y'all have done? My head's exploded... Again...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 11:56 pm 

Two years now with no car related pictures, just saying.....

PostPosted: February 2, 2017, 1:57 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!
He made me think of that word...
Attachment:
Boom.jpg
See what y'all have done? My head's exploded... Again...

Good thing it goes back on, JD's like the headless horseman. He doesn't need it, but he looks better with it attached, and doesn't scare all the little children's away. :lol:

As long as Marcus has been around he should know us fella's love pictures. Especially progress pics. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure I've seen the frame at all. :cheers:

PostPosted: February 2, 2017, 8:38 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Good thing it goes back on, JD's like the headless horseman. He doesn't need it, but he looks better with it attached, and doesn't scare all the little children's away.
I think there could be a lively debate about whether it helps my looks or not, but having a head does help me find somewhere to keep my glasses and various hats. Not to mention it gives a home to my moustache!

I don't think we've seen Marcus' Car9 frame in a long time, if at all, now that you mention it, Josh.

C'mon, Marcus, show us your stuff! We need pictures! Otherwise, this thread will be considered a work of fiction and Perry won't have a clue what all this writing is about! :rofl:

How deep is the snow this year? That should be worth a couple of shots, too!

Peace, Love and Kodachrome-
JDK

PostPosted: February 3, 2017, 12:43 pm 
The voice of reason

OK, pictures on the way. I'll spend some time organizing and cleaning out there. I will see you can see a part of the frame in the last photo I posted! It's turned on it's side and there is a cogged belt draped over the front bulkhead tubes. I though welding practice on the targets would count as practice, but that was optimistic - you guys are a tough crowd. :rofl:

PostPosted: February 3, 2017, 6:08 pm 

Nice targets. I've been trying to do more shooting with 22's too. I've been thinking it would be cool to build a target like they use for biathlon shooting. My target rifle has peep sights too, but I find it works best with a round black target that fills about half of the front aperture. I'm sure the coke bottle glasses I wear don't help anything either. It is lots of fun making small holes though. My rifle is pretty modern though, it's from the 1960's.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 12:02 pm 

my ammo costs go through the roof when using these as targets.

PostPosted: March 19, 2017, 4:12 pm 
The voice of reason

Hi Wax, thanks for bringing my log out of the darkness! I know what you ean, I totally ruined a quarter yesterday. :rofl:

On even better news, I have been out in the garage cleaning up the build table. I need to reduce the huge pile of crap I've accumulated because maybe someday It will be useful. So the old bedframe angle iron will become a lead ingot mold today. Then I have to think of things that are more Car9ish! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next