LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 1:35 pm 
The voice of reason

So here is an official start of my build. Feel free to pull up a lawn chair, watch and even have a drink. My only warning is that if you choose to watch, you may land up laughing so hard you need a change of clothes. If you're lucky it's because you spilled your drink, our audience is a friendly bunch and there will always be more.

My frist thought after carrying in all the stuff in the picture is that steel is heavy. Steel is so heavy in fact that it weighs hundreds of pounds. There may be a follow up order to obtain littler bits. All the material was purchased over the web from Online Metals and delivered to my house.

My garage is full of stuff and it was dark outside so the material got carried to my basement. It's warmer there so with impending winter the car may get built there and then I could jack up the side of my house to get the car out. Or cut a hole or something but I think looking forward to too many problems will just just slow me down, so we will go at this a few days at a time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 1:38 pm 
The voice of reason

If you squint enough the picture above might look like this! I will start by cutting off the extra pieces of tube.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 2:37 pm 

Alright, Marcus, way to go. Looking forward to this.

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 2:53 pm 

Marcus, welcome to the fray :cheers: And don't worry about how heavy the tube is. When assembled into a 3D structure the heat from welding lets the weight out.

Is that a tube bender I see in the foreground?

And more details about the build plan, please.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 3:46 pm 

Marcus, awesome and congrats on starting the build! I myself have thrown several piles of money at Online Metals over the last few years. I did the first winter of my build in the cellar, and then wrestled the frame out the bulkhead in the spring.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 3:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Marcus!
Glad to see you start building stuff!!! (Can I say "finally"???) I've been looking forward to this one for a long time, and I know you have too. I hope that Team Slotus can be an inspiration to you, as in "If those Dumba$$es can do it, I KNOW I can!" :mrgreen:

Quote:
And more details about the build plan, please.
Tom- I understand that the second delivery truck that arrived carried a full load of blue masking tape... :rofl:

Marcus, let me know iffen you need help jacking up the house or totin' the frame out of the basement. I'll send Bubba up there, he can likely do both, at the same time, and only cause minor casualties and short disruptions of City utilities...

Good luck to you, Marcus! :cheers:
Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 6:58 pm 

I think if you build it in your garage you just need to expand your tools required for the job http://www.geekologie.com/2008/10/man-b ... ountac.php

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 8:00 pm 

Whoa, sport! Were did that green car come from? I'm used to seeing those SketchUp renderings you've been posting for the last year or two. How's that full-bodied beauty related to those? It's like Taylor Swift goes to Brazil and comes back with the body of Jillian Michaels - almost a transgendered kinda thing, don't you agree? 'splain please.

But, a hearty, heart-felt congratulations on getting started, my friend. That green body is way too kewl. Maybe I'll do a Car9 like that for my follow-on project?

Stop laughing everyone. It could happen.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 11:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

Hey Marcus-
Looking at your picture of that stack o' steel got me to thinkin... (LOOK OUT, Y"ALL!!!)
Not too long ago, Team Slotus looked like this:
Attachment:
1 8 10 First Steel Order.jpg

Date on the picture is Jan 8, 2010.
And then on February 10, 2013, we looked like this:
Attachment:
2 10 13 Start Line.jpg

Two Goobers in a shed, three years and a month or so...
See what can happen? You got that to look forward to!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 13, 2013, 11:15 pm 

Hmm, 2-3 years. And it'll seem like a lot longer.

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 12:48 am 

Oh boy!! Looking forward to this. Stop holding out on us. Details!

That is a nice chunk of steel you have there and not your average frame boxed steel sizes either.

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 2:57 am 

That's quite impressive work JD...Turning a Falcon Sprint into THAT! :wink:

Glad to see you officially getting started on the build Marcus. Fill us in on the details of your plans for everything the bolts in/on to the chassis!

And hopefully you're better at garage time management than me, as at the rate I'm going 2-3 years should fly by faster than it has any right to and I still probably won't be done. It's amazing how quickly I can lose a month or three at a time. :BH:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 11:30 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks for the support guys. I was thinking I might need to put up a chain link fence between me and the audience, like in "The Blues Brothers" movie - but that will just slow me down.

Quote:
Fill us in on the details of your plans for everything the bolts in/on to the chassis!

Well I'm going to use those new metric AN bolts. Oh wait - that was just a dream…

I'll post stuff soon. I've been busy brushing up on things that SeattleTom has written about T'bird IRS parts and thinking about making the suspension tabs for him etc. So stuff is happening it's just a little behind the scenes. I'm also going to check out a local "make Space" called the "Artisan Asylum" because they seem to have one day classes on milling and lathe and TIG and Brazing and on and on. That stuff could come in useful very soon.

PostPosted: November 14, 2013, 11:45 pm 

Marcus, Congratulations on the start! I can remember when we were trying to help each other with the intricacies of Google Sketchup. Apparently, you've made it a lot farther than I have. Keep the posts coming! :cheers:

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 12:13 am 
Always Moore!

Glad to see the build starting Marcus. :cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next