LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: February 24, 2014, 11:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo MV8- I think that the Ford 5.0s designated as "HO" models (Mustang GT and Lincoln LSC, maybe others) were the only ones with roller cams, weren't they? That's from my rather shaky memory banks...
:cheers:
JD

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 18, 2014, 12:25 pm 
The voice of reason

Thanks for the big write up on SBF engines John Hennessy, I'll get back to some of those items soon.

I am slow on updates. I decided that given a choice between having the dash roll hoop go down to the floor or having the top chassis rail go from front to rear in one piece to go for the one piece chassis rail. I think welding the dash hoop to the top rail will work fine. There are questions about interpretation of racing class rules, but I think this makes sense.

So I ordered two more lengths of DOM and put a single bend in them at the dash. I will use the pieces replaced to make diagonals so not really any or much wasted material.

This brings up issues with how to handle the mounting point for the rear trailing arms. In Tom's car we used a 1"x3"x.065" tube. In my car I was planning on using the 1"x2" tube sistered somehow with the dash roll hoop leg. The approach I was favoring used a 2" gap between he hoop legs and the rectangular tube. That gap was bridged with little 1"x2" gussets. Picture below.

That can still be done, just with the hoop leg a separate piece. I think though I would like to just use the 1"x2", which I think will need some reinforcement to handle the load. This can be done either with some light weight tube to triangulate the load front he trailing arms or it may be possible that the 1"x2" will prove adequate when it becomes part of the dash assembly and the 1" round tube inner dash hoop is incorporated. Some work with steel sheet could make the combination of the 1"x2" and the inner 1" round a single 2"x3" funny or triangular shaped tube.

The other thing I'm working on is a slightly different arrangement for the main roll hoop where it also welds to the upper chassis rail. This is even more difficult to describe quickly but some of it is apparent in the photo below. The dark grey tube is the main roll hoop from Tom's car dropped into my model in the same position. This change makes the front diff mount easier and gives a little more cockpit room for large drivers without moving the top of the roll bar. It makes some other things more difficult and might weigh a bit more, I don't know yet. The issue is that this approach loses the very strong point formed by the harness bar and the roll bar diagonal.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 18, 2014, 10:16 pm 

Horizonjob wrote:
I decided that given a choice between having the dash roll hoop go down to the floor or having the top chassis rail go from front to rear in one piece to go for the one piece chassis rail. I think welding the dash hoop to the top rail will work fine. There are questions about interpretation of racing class rules, but I think this makes sense.
So I ordered two more lengths of DOM and put a single bend in them at the dash. I will use the pieces replaced to make diagonals so not really any or much wasted material.
Marcus, I think you made the right decision on the single piece upper rail. And it leaves you with several good options on how/where to attach the trailing arms. Don't worry, there will be lots of opportunity to make diagonals out of the scrap. Lots of opportunities... :mrgreen:

Nice work on the evolution of the SketchUp model. You have some elegant solutions in there. A lot still to be learned when you go from virtual to reality (i.e., steel), though. And perhaps even some additional material for diagonals :P

Congratulations on your progress. More pictures of the build, please. :cheers:

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: March 18, 2014, 10:39 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
this approach loses the very strong point formed by the harness bar and the roll bar diagonal.

Yo, Marcus-
Looks to me like you've still got an intersection between the roll bar diagonal in dark gray and the harness bar in "shaded" yellow. I took the "shaded" yellow to be where your yellow and Tom's gray matched. Right? Or is I losted again??? If I'm reading things right, I'd say the newer style hoop/diagonal/harness bar is as strong as the old one.

I would have lobbied for the roll hoops to go to the bottom of the chassis, myself. I don't think you lose any strength to speak of with the modification you're talking about, but I'd just rather see my roll hoops all the way down. I'm thinking there's less likelihood of the hoop bending or shearing if it's one piece. Probably POE-tay-toe or pa-TAT-oh I guess...

Yeah, like Tom said, we need more pics of the build!

Regards-
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 26, 2014, 11:16 am 

Hi Marcus,

Check your PMs

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 2:33 pm 

Bump, updates?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: April 23, 2014, 10:02 pm 
We are Slotus!

robbovius wrote:
Bump, updates?

Yeah! What he said... And, speaking of "Bump"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEaC8qjV30c

PostPosted: May 2, 2014, 3:32 pm 
The voice of reason

Stuff is happening, it's just not photogenic or very remarkable. Today I cleaned the floor in the garage where the build is moving to. That was after moving my formula ford over and taking up some oil soaked carpet under it. That FF has been on that carpet for 20 years, but this year it decided to leak. Geez, I could be talking about myself someday…

So I built a little build table or at least the surface of one. . I think this will be very temp use, so am thinking will just place this on cement blocks and shim for about level. Working with those metal studs is not so great. I did the cutting, notching and fitting on the basement floor, which is when a build table would have bee nice. So I will just go expedient until the frame is welded and I can put it on saw horses.

Probably look at picking up some random Ford parts this weekend to be able to jig and place items etc.

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 8:06 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Marcus!
Any progress is good progress! Movin' stuff around to make way for the new build, good on ya! Soon as you do some welding on that l'il jewel, send us a pic. Other'n that, what Ford parts are ya after? I may have a few spares you can have, if you'll come get 'em!
Regards-
JD

PS- Moved into the new house yesterday.

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 10:20 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Other'n that, what Ford parts are ya after? I may have a few spares you can have, if you'll come get 'em!

I hear JD's got a real good motor for sale that's just been run in ....

PostPosted: May 3, 2014, 10:53 am 

Hi Markus
I have a built 302 crate motor, 5 speed, Mazda rx7 turbo LSD rear axle assembly. If you want to ask questions call me mid afternoons at four one three 5845102.
Rad

PostPosted: May 5, 2014, 3:24 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:

Yep, shurrrr dooo.... That sound you hear is Opportunity knocking... :roll:

PostPosted: May 6, 2014, 12:43 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Yep, shurrrr dooo.... That sound you hear is Opportunity knocking...

Ha, well played Sir!

PostPosted: May 6, 2014, 8:19 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Quote:

Yep, shurrrr dooo.... That sound you hear is Opportunity knocking... :roll:

sometimes, opportunity sounds just like a rod bearing...

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 10, 2014, 1:28 pm 
The voice of reason

Here's some pictures of the start of moving things up from the basement and onto a table in the garage. Things were sort of loose on the plywood sheet on the floor and also fell down numerous times. So this is set up more sturdy now and trying to lock down the measurements as I go now. For awhile I was afraid it would turn into a %99 scale model as I adjusted every joint to be cleaner.

In the second picture, not even born and chasing formula tail...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next