LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 6:09 am 
We are Slotus!

WooHoo! Way to go, Marcus! Movin' from basement into the light of day!
I like the cinder-block and steel beam table. That oughta be solid...

Hey, it's your design, you can build it 99% scale iffen you wants to. Just don't build one end 100% and the other at 99... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 10:29 am 

Marcus, I can see you love to live dangerously. Setting your build table up on loose concrete blocks? At our house that structure would not live a week. Good luck to you. However, I'm starting my "Catastrophe Countdown Timer" as of this morning's read of your build log. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 1:05 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Here's some pictures of the start of moving things up from the basement and onto a table in the garage. Things were sort of loose on the plywood sheet on the floor and also fell down numerous times. So this is set up more sturdy now and trying to lock down the measurements as I go now. .
Marcus, congrats on making the move to the open air. :cheers: Love the MDF bulkhead. Is that a new Car9 feature?

Quote:
For awhile I was afraid it would turn into a %99 scale model as I adjusted every joint to be cleaner.
Just add weld bead to turn that 99% into 100% :mrgreen:

Quote:
In the second picture, not even born and chasing formula tail...

Do I detect those cinder block legs moving and your build table sidelin' over to be closer the FF? 8) You might end up with a lot of little Formula 9's running around your garage...

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 10:12 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
In the second picture, not even born and chasing formula tail...

Do I detect those cinder block legs moving and your build table sidelin' over to be closer the FF? 8) You might end up with a lot of little Formula 9's running around your garage...

Set up the GoPro, get a video of that mating ritual!!! You'll be an overnight sensation on YouTube!!!! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 11, 2014, 11:13 pm 
The voice of reason

I'm not too worried by the table yet and I'm not too happy with how it actually worked out. It's OK, but I think I will be going for sawhorses as soon as possible.

Did a good job final fitting the upper cross tube on the front bulkhead. Then I carefully offered up the harness bar and used a triangle to scribe the proper fit. Then I did the best job ever, to within 1/32", of putting the same flair angle of the front upper rails ( 7 degrees ) into the formally almost perfect, but 1/8" too wide, harness bar.

Sigh. Now it looks like a really good candidate for the diagonal from the harness bar to the roll hoop. It's just sad, I only hope for the most for these pieces, as I gradually hack them down to find the perfect essence of a bracket that was hidden in a frame rail.
Then that can be carefully and safely isolated away from my build since I am using tabs instead of brackets. Maybe I should send them to Gonzo...

I will do a little more cutting and fitting for rear bulkhead tubes. Then it seems like it's time to tack in the main tubes and move on.

PostPosted: May 13, 2014, 5:09 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I am using tabs instead of brackets. Maybe I should send them to Gonzo...

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!!!!
HE SAID THAT WORD!!!! I'M MMMMELLLTTTINNNGGGG....
Attachment:
Fear and Loathing.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 8:26 am 

Marcus, nice work!

definitely time to start welding ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 10:52 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:

It seems well past time to start welding, for some reason I'm having trouble crossing that line. Maybe I will treat myself to a tank of Argon today, I've always just used CO2 when practicing. I need to buy/make a 20'-25' extension for the welder also. Maybe I should also stop day dreaming about a TIG machine I saw on sale the other day.

I keep wondering if it wouldn't make sense to move one or another tube around an inch or so. That included the frame rails which have a little extra length in them too, so moving them lets you change where the taper in the footwell happens. Tom seems basically happy with the layout on his though.

Eventually after staring at the tubes for hours it occurred to me the race car on sawhorses next to the build table could be a useful reference. :rofl: So for instance the dash to roll hoop distance was within 1/2" the same. We're certainly in the ballpark. The big help was realizing the FF seat is only held in by 2 5/16"bolts. A few minutes later it was sitting on the build table and the cockpit for Car9 looked much more to scale.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 11:30 am 

horizenjob wrote:
It seems well past time to start welding, for some reason I'm having trouble crossing that line. Maybe I will treat myself to a tank of Argon today, I've always just used CO2 when practicing. I need to buy/make a 20'-25' extension for the welder also. Maybe I should also stop day dreaming about a TIG machine I saw on sale the other day.
Marcus, just start by making some tacks. Don't think of it as welding, think clamping with melted medal. Surprising how easy it is to undo those clamps with a skinny cutoff wheel in a Dremel. :lol: Oh, and go with an Argon/CO2 75%/25% mix if you are using a MIG. 100% Argon if you buy that TIG.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 11:38 am 

RE: shield gas. I've found the best price on a 60 Ft^3 tank of C25 (trade name for the gas mix Tom mentioned) at Maine Oxy in Milford. for the first couple years I was buying it at the place near Loring Arena in framingham, but Maine Oxy was routinely $10 less per tank. Plus, the Milford Maine Oxy store is open until noon on saturdays...and I live about a half-mile away ;-) The B-3 was welded entirely using .030 wire and C25.

Commiting to welding means you have to also commit to living with the results, which can almost be the hardest part. Every design is a study in tradeoffs and compromise, and the designer will always look at the result and re-evaluate choices. can't let yourself fall into the trap of focusing on that beforehand. Given that Tom's build is going well, I think that's a huge advantage in foreshadowing your own results.

Go get that tank of C25, and go for it.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 12:31 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Quote:

It seems well past time to start welding, for some reason I'm having trouble crossing that line. Maybe I will treat myself to a tank of Argon today, I've always just used CO2 when practicing.

Ummm, nope.

Argon is useless for MIG, possibly you meant Argon/Co2 Mix?

Co2 is fine but Mix gets you a longer pool flow time that can make for a neater appearance but won't help simply bad welding very much - and it's double the price.

PostPosted: May 14, 2014, 12:44 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Marcus!
I think the important thing is to make progress, even a few tack welds count!

We used a Tri-Mix shield gas, Argon, CO2 and helium. Not sure the proportions, but I think it was 2/3 Ar to not quite 1/3 He and the rest made up with CO2. It was James' choice... I don't know enough to argue, but it seems to work well. Even when we broke stuff, it wasn't the weld that gave way. :ack:

Regards-
JDK

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 4:36 pm 
The voice of reason

OK, decided to delay at least a short while getting a TIG. So I bought a tank of Argon/CO2 mix. I got it from Middlesex welding which is the nearby place for me in Framingham. I think it is about $50 for 80 CF, but first tank is half price when you buy the tank...

Made a 25' extension cord for the welder. Decided my roll around tool cabinet was a welding cart. That took car of that. The welder was leaking gas so I took it apart and re-assembled the gas valve with some Loctite, red for the internal threads and blue for the outside.

So I'll do a little practice tonight. I'm a little unsure of the auto darkening shade on my helmet. I think it's supposed to charge itself with little solar cells. Should it darken when pointed at the sun? I don't remember. Are you supposed to pry open the little shade module and replace the batteries? I may wait till tomorrow and bring it to the welding shop and/or upgrade to a better one with larger window. I'd also like to get magnifier lenses if they sell them.

I cut another tube, the first with my old bandsaw. I've been doing all the work this winter with a handsaw. Now I will cut some tubes fort the rear bulkhead, both some for the front bulkhead and start tacking. Before I do too much tacking I need to cut away some of the front bulkhead plywood so it can be remove once I start welding.

I'll try to post a picture wight he seat in it. Wow that seat from the FF is hardly even a seat. Complete with mounting frame it weighs 3 lbs. It clearly shows some damage from use. I went and looked at the one I was sitting in when I had an accident in '88. When I pulled off the little cloth cover you could see I had burst completely thru the bottom of the seat.

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 5:36 pm 

Marcus, sounds like you are close to your first tack. A big step forward :cheers:

You might want to pop a new battery in your helmet. Can't hurt. And play with the darkening shade while welding on some practice scrap. Magnifier inserts are good, too. Cheap and they let you get right on top of your weld. See if you can find one that snaps into you hood tightly. My magnifier keeps popping out at the wrong moment.

Now go melt some metal :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 18, 2014, 8:08 pm 

Marcus,
On my auto darkening lens, it will not respond to the sun, but will respond to the sparks from a flint striker (gas torch lighter).
Depending on the make/model, it may only have integral batteries that charge while you are welding and are not replaceable.
A couple of hours in the sun or overnight under a gro-light should recharge the batteries.

Walt

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 24  Next