LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 12:15 am 

Glad to see you doing something for yourself Marcus in difference to all the time you give to us.

Anything I, and I'm sure I can extend that to "We", can do for you just holla.

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 7:28 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I was thinking I might need to put up a chain link fence between me and the audience, like in "The Blues Brothers" movie - but that will just slow me down.

Shoot, you'll need more'n dat to keep Bubba out. You know how he is when he decides to do something...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 15, 2013, 7:35 am 

Marcus, you are more than welcome to come over and play with the tig and bridgeport. I am often in the shop on wednesday mornings (not always though) and usually 1 day on the weekend. The bridgeport is great for making tabs, brackets, notching tubing, etc. This weekend i am remodeling a (perfectly good) bathroom per TWWWFM.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:27 am 

Marcus, any updates? I live near you, would you mind a visitor some saturday? I can file a mean tube fillet!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 10:40 am 

Awesome, will be keeping my eyes on this.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 12:28 pm 
The voice of reason

I'm sorry I've been slow to reply. I *really* appreciate the support I am getting here. One issue I have is that despite the amount of posting I do on the site I am in real life a painfully shy person. So that seems to inlucde my own thread :shock:

So thanks for the offers of help, I expect there will be time to take people up on all of them.

So far on the project I have mounted my tube bender to a metal table and bent both the bottom chassis rails to about 1/8" or so to where they need to be. I am starting to cut the metal for the front bulkhead now.

I also made a 90 degree bend in some scrap tubing to serve as a template for the roll hoops. This is something that needs to be done pretty well because the width of the roll hoops will also define how wide the car is.

So far my build is not vey photogenic. I am using a piece of plywood on the floor in my basement for my layout drawing and I recently had to tear out the bottom couple feet of wallbaord in that room from flooding last fall. So far this is working better than my unheated garage in sub freezing weather. As the project gets bigger there wil arise more issues. :-) Worst case I am prepared to dig a hole next to my house and make a big hole in the foundation...

Robbovious give me a couple of weeks to make some more progress so things don't look quite so pathetic. Sometime in January should work. I miss the idea of a Northeast picnic gathering so perhaps I can cook something and we can have a few people over. That would be fun...

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 3:00 pm 

You wouldn't be the first one...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/Home-DIYer-TIG-welds-Lamborghini-Countach-in-basement

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 3:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Sometime in January should work. I miss the idea of a Northeast picnic gathering so perhaps I can cook something and we can have a few people over. That would be fun...

According to Google, it's just over 1300 miles and takes about 19 hours from here to Boston... So, can you elaborate on that menu a bit before I commit??? Also, what's the average high temperature that time of year? Will I have to wear socks?

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 4:48 pm 

Marcus,
building at home has a much higher completion ratio; at least that is the airplane homebuilders' experience. My hat off to all the guys that have to build somewhere else.
Check this guy out. He built a motor glider inside his townhouse.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52501459@N07/
(you have to scroll all the way down)

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 8:20 pm 

mgkluft wrote:
. . . Check this guy out. He built a motor glider inside his townhouse.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52501459@N07/
(you have to scroll all the way down)

Wow. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. His wife must be even more understanding than JD's.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 9:53 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
So far my build is not vey photogenic.

Have I or have I not posted the picture of the B-3 when it was a single tube in the vise? :-) Marcus sounds good for january.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: December 12, 2013, 10:32 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
His wife must be even more understanding than JD's.

I read that to TWWTFM and she said, "See, you don't know how good you have it!"
Yeah, she's right...

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 3:52 pm 

OK guys, I've figured out that "TWWTFM" refers to our wives or significant others, but what is the literal meaning? I haven't been able to decipher this one on my own, and I couldn't find it in the FAQs, either.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 4:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

ngpmike wrote:
OK guys, I've figured out that "TWWTFM" refers to our wives or significant others, but what is the literal meaning? I haven't been able to decipher this one on my own, and I couldn't find it in the FAQs, either.

Hi Mike-
"TWWTFM" is a bit of Team Slotus terminology that has crept out of my build log and into other, previously un-contaminated, parts of the forum. It stands for "The White Woman That Feeds Me."
Attachment:
DSC_1030 (2).JPG

We also have "HamDip", "HHGOA" and "Earl" along with the nearly famous "Bubba".

In the tool box you might find a "measuring slinky", a "confuse-a-cat" or a "hide-a-sharpie." And then there's the cut-off saw at James' shop, which is known as "The Anti-Christ." (With good cause, I might add.)

There are more examples, but I don't wanna booger up Marcus's otherwise fine build log any further.

Peace, Love and "Attack Hose" -
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 13, 2013, 5:34 pm 

OK, JD. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next