LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 52  Next
PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 12:14 pm 

Any chance you could pop the bushings out and turn them around?

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 12:51 pm 

I think you are fine as you are. Caster? You don't have rear steer. Shouldn't be an issue IMO.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 4, 2017, 8:46 pm 

Well today is a day for problems or maybe solutions :BH:

As i was figuring out how to make the ebrake work, i noticed that the way i mounted the shock in the rear would place rotational torque (redundant?) on the spindle mount. The way i figure it, at full bump, the shock would produce ~1500lbs of force from the spring (468 x 3.3"). even though the rod end is only 1" from center, that translates to almost 170lbs of torque through the spindle mounting bolt.

Originally, I thought i would mount the shock at the intersection of all the tubes thinking that it would be plenty strong. I changed it mid-stream because i wanted to improve my wheel rate and I thought it would be better to put the load directly on the spindle. This would then prevent putting the 5/8"-18 bolt that connects the br@ck&t to the lower control arm in bending. But since there is less than 1/2" of thread out of the LCA and the bolt is rated to 27000 lbs in shear, I hope i will be okay if i place the shock back where i originally planned to.

By changing all of this, i might be able to put the brakes back where they are "supposed" to go.

Attachment:
IMG_0916.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 9:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Mnot-
I think that proposed mounting point will work OK. There will be a decrease in effective wheel rate as you noted. On the Slotus, I have a very similar LCA and have the coilovers mounted on the rear-ward intersection of the tubes much as you're showing. No problems, works just fine...

I can't comment on the e-brake situation. The Slotus ain't got ner'n...
Been trying to get the damn thing to roll away, but it won't leave!!! :twisted:

Found a blurry picture that almost shows how the coilover is located. I'm lookin' for a better shot... But you get the idea...

:cheers:
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 5, 2017, 7:26 pm 

Damn Gavin, I never thought of mounting the brakes on the spindles. Idk why I assumed they were on the front of the spindle.

PostPosted: February 12, 2017, 8:22 pm 

I think i figured out a really good solution, it involves the sawz-all. I will share pics soon

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 2:35 am 

Mnot wrote:
I think i figured out a really good solution, it involves the sawz-all. I will share pics soon

Almost as bad as a grinder, almost.

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 8:43 pm 

oh, it involves one of those too but i didn't want to scare you :twisted:

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 10:24 pm 

Mnot wrote:
oh, it involves one of those too but i didn't want to scare you :twisted:

Well, all I can say is, I'm glad I am not the only one that had to break out the Nuclear Option this week! :ack: Looks like I'm in good company!

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 12:24 am 
We are Slotus!

What are y'all talking about??? I thought EVERY project involved a grinder?!?!? :shock:
Well, every project above making a peanut butter and banana sandwich... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 23, 2017, 9:00 pm 

So I have created two options for the lower rear shock mount. It is constructed of 1x.120 wall tube supported by 3/4"x1/5"x.083" rectangle tube that has a hole drilled to receive the 1" tube and welded everywhere i could fit my welder
1. Uses bronze bushings for pivot
Attachment:
IMG_0935.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0934.JPG

2. Uses universal poly bushes massaged to size (narrowed). This would be welded directly to the LCA with a gusset toward the inside for strength.
Attachment:
IMG_0936.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0937.JPG

My concern with option 1 is that there is no room for lateral movement so if i am just 1* off it will destroy the bushings in no time. Option 2 is more forgiving.

I would really like feedback on this.

PostPosted: February 24, 2017, 12:02 am 
We are Slotus!

I'd go with option 2 because, as you said, it's more forgiving. You know something is gonna warp or slip or just generally move that teeny bit that'll eat up your bushings... Hate to be a pessimist, but, you know Murphy's Law as good as I do...

So, go for the forgiveness! (Sounds like a sermon title... Hmmm... "Brothers and Sistahs! You got to go for the forgiveness!!!"...) :mrgreen:

:cheers:
The Reverend JD

PostPosted: February 24, 2017, 7:41 pm 

I guess Amen brother! is appropriate??

PostPosted: February 25, 2017, 12:09 am 
We are Slotus!

Mnot wrote:
I guess Amen brother! is appropriate??
Good answer! Now hang around until we pass the plate! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 26, 2017, 9:16 am 

I have had a pretty productive weekend. The rear shock mounting is complete. I need to clean things up, from the setup i cut out, before welding in the new setup.The upper shock mount is notched slightly to keep all of the centers in alignment which, i hope, will make it stronger.
Attachment:
IMG_0943.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0942.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0941.JPG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 52  Next