LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: May 29, 2016, 10:53 am 

Very nice and not complicated.

Al

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 8:38 pm 

So you've been retired for like two weeks and we've already talked about Depends.. so is this done yet? :lol:

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 1:10 am 

So, ya know sometimes I cost myself money. In order to use the OEM fuel pump/sending unit assembly in my Locost fuel tank I had to shorten it 3". I had a non working assembly that I dismantled no problem. Tried that with the new assembly I have, and plastic just ain't what it used to be. The internal return line tube/spring did not come out of the plastic, it broke out. I still modified the assembly, it will work no problem, but I still ordered ANOTHER new fuel pump to modify without fn it up. Cost of lesson learned = $140

Does anyone else have lessons learned out there? I'm most likely the only one that cost myself money :BH:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 2:47 am 

Perry,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. If I could recoup all the cash I wasted I could retire. Oh wait. I am retired. Well I could have bought some penny stocks and be rich now instead of good looking.

I bought a MR2 thinking it would donate a lot of pieces, mainly the engine. The PO swore it ran the last time he tried it. He lied. Paid $250, the POS went across the scale for $84. Then there was the ITB's, the instrument cluster that wouldn't work, the Mega Squirt that I got scammed on plus so many little bits and pieces I can't count them all.

I have some hardware that I bought, didn't use right away and now have no idea what the hell it was for. Some nice Aircraft Spruce thingies, some lovely grade 8 bolts, and misc. AN things.

I'm sure we are not alone in monies not spent wisely. All part of the crazy game we call Locost.

Cheers

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 6:51 am 

anyone else have lessons learned out there? :BH:

Not here. I fu, just don't learn.

Bill

PostPosted: June 7, 2016, 7:20 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Does anyone else have lessons learned out there? I'm most likely the only one that cost myself money
You have GOT to be kiddin' me... Have you actually read any of my build log??? :mrgreen: I've used (and used up) not one but TWO "cheap" engines, at a total purchase price of $850 plus whatever gaskets, seals, etc I put in them. Now, nobody ever said I was bright to begin with, but still, you shouldn't feel like the Lone Ranger in the "failed experiment" department. :ack:

Hang in there, Bro... *
:cheers:
JDK

*I almost said "Don't get your Depends in a knot!" but I decided not to revive that subject... :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 6, 2016, 11:58 pm 

Geez I have to check my log more often!

I can honestly say my build is stalled for the summer, we are putting on the miles on the Super 7 L.S.O. Thank goodness we have winter here, the build will continue when the snow falls, that will give me a chance to catch up to Lonnie and JD.

Our summer cross Canada trip has been put off till next year, wifey broke a bone in her foot in Feb and she is still limping around. We are booked for Barbados this coming winter and decided to call off the summer trip and a chance to re injure her foot, so that her foot is good for walking the beach in BIM.

Busy doing jobs around the farm that I've been putting off before retirement - siding buildings, putting tin on roofs, brushing, painting, building a 35cc model airplane WILGA, camping in the Rockies with wifey and the 7, lost 30 pounds so far - 20 more to go.

And DASH Auto is keeping me very busy, I charge $30CAN ($23US) an hour, because I can. Couple of examples: change out a heater core on a 2000 F150 Ford Truck=$100 labor, change out a heater motor on a Toyota Avalon=$20 labor, recharge air conditioning=priceless

I have come to the conclusion that working for a living is not healthy for a person, retirement is the way to go.

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 12:51 am 

LOL! Also made a video on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqybicbYar8

And while I'm at it here's my first homebuilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6YXScx9Ipk

And one more taken 3 years ago on the farm with myself flying a Quadcopter flying with Canada geese and Snow geese, you can see the farm in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmOzyPZFzQ

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 8:43 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Perry!
Any way y'all could arrange that Barbados trip so that you come by Tallahassee???

I've never seen the inside of the Leon County jail, and I bet you haven't either... Just sayin'... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 7, 2016, 9:53 am 

Man, you could've sent that tablet to me instead of shooting it, it could have made a nice instrument cluster for the 7. :)

PostPosted: July 10, 2016, 2:07 pm 

horchoha wrote:
. . . . Thank goodness we have winter here, the build will continue when the snow falls, that will give me a chance to catch up to Lonnie and JD. . . . .

I don't think that's going to take more than a day and a half. :wink: What ya gunna do for the rest of the winter? :lol:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 11, 2016, 6:11 am 

Posthumane wrote:
Man, you could've sent that tablet to me instead of shooting it, it could have made a nice instrument cluster for the 7. :)

I don't think there was ever much chance of that happening. Looks like a grudge shooting.

Bill

PostPosted: July 11, 2016, 1:39 pm 

I felt about the same about the iPad I bought a few years ago too, within an hour of opening the box. I am now happily apple free, and will never again have one of their products.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 21, 2016, 2:29 pm 

horchoha wrote:
Geez I have to check my log more often!

I can honestly say my build is stalled for the summer, we are putting on the miles on the Super 7 L.S.O. Thank goodness we have winter here, the build will continue when the snow falls, that will give me a chance to catch up to Lonnie and JD.

[If - as almost strictly a lurker - I may be so bold]
HA! Says Sir Speedy, having already completed two builds (and fabulous, top-shelf builds at that), plus well towards finishing a third.

Some suggestions:
1) Don't know what the going rate is for a set of control arms, and I would pay a "pretty penny" for a set of yours. I should think you could beat your shop rate quite handily. Maybe even get a second hand electric oven (or - knowing you: fab something better from scratch, using the components salvaged from one) and powder coat them. If Princess Auto really cracks up to Harbor Freight, they will have a kit. Or perhaps you could get one from Eastwood.

2) You might want to add this thread to your "signature". I had to just browse through your posts for a while to find it. Well worth it, and some people may not figure out how.

Before I creep back into the shadows:

1) Those of you with slow or stalled projects: at least you've accomplished SOMETHING; if anything at all, more than I likely ever will.

2) Perry, you are the Chip Foose of Locost: EVERYTHING you do - e.g. the ducts on that heater core box for your second 7 - has a pure, clean, artistic aesthetic, enhancing the functional aspect. And -of course - few people even approach your level of utilization of your donor vehicles' parts.

If I ever actually do accomplish something towards actually building a car, it will be in no small measure inspired by reading your build logs.

PostPosted: October 29, 2016, 3:23 am 

As I've said before - I have to check in more often. I'm still on this side of the grass which is good. The S10 Super Se7en is waiting patiently for me to resume work on it.

Lloyd M - Thanks for the kudos, why you made me blush :oops: Where are you located?

After fabbing a convertible top for the LSO build I've been busy in my shop to the point of not wanting to tie it up with the S10 build. I need a bigger shop.

Currently I'm balls deep in a heater core replacement on a 2008 Toyota Tundra. Dealer wanted $2300, I'll do it for $700

Attachment:
IMG_0887.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0888.JPG

Locost's are definitely easier to work on, says I and Capt'n Morgan, Garrrr!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33  Next