LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 8:56 pm 

So it begins! With gigantic amounts of inspiration from Rod's Locost 5.0 and 2 years of planning, research, fundraising, driving friends and family crazy with Lotus talk, etc.....I am committing to do it!

Garage is almost cleaned out, donor car in the driveway (1995 Mustang SVT Cobra convertible), build table started, tools mostly gathered, etc!

I'll post some photos soon. Is anyone else here within 100 miles on Long Island, NY?

PostPosted: August 25, 2014, 10:31 pm 

Welcome. I'm actually on the Left Coast, but doing a '94 Mustang donor build. It's a 3.8L V6 in my case.

With a '95 SVT Cobra, you've got a kick-ass donor to start with. I'll be looking forward to your build and photos.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 12:20 am 

Welcome and good luck. Nice donor vehicle BTW.

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 7:20 am 

Pictures, NOW! ;-)

so you're going to put a Ford "Cammer" in it? if so, Sweet ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 11:28 am 

Oh no! Not a 4.6.....too big for my tastes. I really like how compact and lightweight the 5.0 is. The 1995 SVT Cobra is the last year of the Windsor 5.0 Mustangs. I'm also planning on using the rear, rack, SN95 spindles, brakes, wheels, etc.

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 1:36 pm 

Here's my donor

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 1:38 pm 

Here's the start of the build table. Planning on 6" steel studs, leveling feet, 1" MDF

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 1:41 pm 

Some more inspiration that I keep in my shop

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 3:57 pm 

Wow, that's more detailed than my full-scale Locost. Very nice.

That build table is excellent too. Level is good, but not nearly as important as flat.

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 4:01 pm 

LongIsland Locost wrote:
Oh no! Not a 4.6.....too big for my tastes. I really like how compact and lightweight the 5.0 is. The 1995 SVT Cobra is the last year of the Windsor 5.0 Mustangs. I'm also planning on using the rear, rack, SN95 spindles, brakes, wheels, etc.

My B, thought the Mustang got the MOD engine in '95. looks good, what brand/scale is the model?

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 5:38 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Not a 4.6.....too big for my tastes.

I had to look up your year in wikipedia, glad you understand the size issues. I posted pictures from Ford Racing the other day with sizes. The new motor is something like 8" taller and wider than the pushrod motor. Not a good deal for these cars at all. Plus then you only get a small fraction of the available parts...

Do you think your motor is beat or are you going to be able to use it without working on it?

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 9:37 pm 

I was worried about a beat engine and transmission too. Luckily, I was able to drive this car a bunch before buying it, so I know it's good. It's a real SVT Cobra engine; GT 40 heads and Crane 1.7 ratio rocker rollers, and phosphated gear T5. It does have some mods, like 3.73 gears and E303 cam. I don't plan on using the stock computer and fuel injection. I may do what Rod did; start with a carburetor and then go to fuel injection with individual throttle bodies and Megasquirt.

Kinda bums me out to destroy a one of about 1,000 1995 SVT Cobra convertibles though :(

PostPosted: August 26, 2014, 9:40 pm 

It's a great model! Tamiya 1/12 scale Caterham master builder series. They are out of production now, but can still be bought on eBay if you have deep pockets. I was lucky enough to buy mine for $40

PostPosted: August 27, 2014, 6:56 am 

LongIsland Locost wrote:
It's a great model! Tamiya 1/12 scale Caterham master builder series. They are out of production now, but can still be bought on eBay if you have deep pockets. I was lucky enough to buy mine for $40

that's kewl. I still have models I built during my tween and teen years, mostly 1/25th scale AMT (before the ERTL merger) adn MPC, with a couple Revell and 1/24th Monograms in there.

I still have a half dozen or so that are uinfinished.

I hear ya on being torn about breaking the car. on the upside, you'll be making all the other '95 SVT cobras incrementally more valuable for their owners, and the Karma always balances, so I think you're good. ;-)

RE:using the 4.6 DOHC 4-valver. Yeah I admit I dig that engine. comes from my days building all those models and reading Hot Rod, ROad and track, etc, when the cool engines were the Ford 427 SOHC, the original Cossie DFV, the [pontiac SOHC six, etc. Yup the 4-cam MOdular engine is quite a bit bigger than the pushrod small block, and wouldn't realy fit in any of the bookish or book-derived (all the McSorley variants) locost frames.

I'd have to design my own frame around it, Something I've already done with the B-3. so...Crap, another project I hope I have years enough left to do.

anyway, enough of me hijacking your thread. continue mission!

PostPosted: August 27, 2014, 9:59 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Kinda bums me out to destroy a one of about 1,000 1995 SVT Cobra convertibles though

It seems the path we take to get to the end is not always the one we imagine. Often people will get a donor vehicle and do the tear down at the beginning of a project. Maybe in your case you should wait. You have parts to measure now.

Start trying to make progress, if you need you can get some parts from a junkyard - wether you get real junk or useful stuff is up to you.

It would be a pity if you like this car, but tear it down and then only land up using some of the parts because you change your mind about something, like IRS or maybe a 7.5 axle or different front spindles etc.

So get your shop ready, practice welding, lay out and build a frame, mock up your suspension etc. Maybe another motor will fall in your lap if you keep your ears open, you aren't using all the stock manifolds and injection stuff so maybe you can get a cheap short block and put aluminum heads on it.. etc. etc.

BTW welcome, too bad they don't have a great race track on Long Island anymore. I used to enjoy the ferry ride there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next