LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: May 12, 2020, 11:31 pm 

it has great power. Spins the tires in third gear sometimes. I am just playing. going to put a cam in it just for fun. This was the plan from the beginning. Will keep posted

PostPosted: February 22, 2021, 9:34 am 

So...I had a pretty good Fall and now I am waiting for nice Spring weather to return! The car is shaping up and getting closer to paint. I posted a few videos here; https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmsX ... VS3IgY8NUC

I am already planning my next >5 year project!

PostPosted: February 22, 2021, 9:36 pm 

LongIsland Locost wrote:
So...I had a pretty good Fall and now I am waiting for nice Spring weather to return! The car is shaping up and getting closer to paint. I posted a few videos here; https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmsX ... VS3IgY8NUC

I am already planning my next >5 year project!

Hey there! Im a stone's throw from you in Melville. I'd love to come see the car - it looks GREAT! I had mine rolling with the drivetrain placed (600cc bike motor), but just disassembled for an r1 and to rework the rear suspension.

PostPosted: February 23, 2021, 7:54 am 

Awesome! Thanks for the compliment! I will send you a message with my contact information.

PostPosted: June 17, 2022, 9:07 am 

[youtube]https://youtu.be/yG2DBgUm1VI[/youtube]

So, 6 years after starting my build, here we are!

PostPosted: June 17, 2022, 9:51 am 

Very nice, James. It sounds great, looks even better, and has some very interesting details.

I'd love to see more photos of you dash, and what the array of instruments are. Also, where did you get the vented nose piece, or did you make it? Some more info on the side vents (louvers) at the engine compartment would be nice. I have the same issue of a very high EFI system (Ford 3.8L V6) and have been considering swapping to a low profile version as used on the Freestar or similar. You solution of (making?) a painted cover to the V8 EFI system is very nice. Details on that would be good too.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 18, 2022, 10:55 am 

Hey! Thanks for the compliment!

Here is my dash in a little more detail;

Hopefully you can read the labels.

The nose started out as catfish nose from Kinetic, but I widened it, made the upper vent, and molded a duct to direct air up and out.

I am travelling for work now, but when I get home I can post some more details on the louvers I made.

Yes, I had to make some decisions here too. In the end, I like the way it turned out. I didn't actually paint the blue and yellow surfaces; I wrapped them all in Avery wrap. Came out pretty good....from 10' (3m) away!

PostPosted: June 19, 2022, 10:04 am 

Thanks for the photos, James. I love your dashboard. It has an interesting feel to it. It reminds me (in terms of its esthetic) of the really cool old dashboards you see on Pinterest for the European cars of the 1930's. Lots of functionality, and a mixing of different instrument styles.

You've done a lot of really nice finish work on the car. Do you work in the aerospace industry? I think I see that kind of care and thoughtfulness in your work.

I see an idea that interests me in terms of the brake pressure gauges. One of the thing's I'll need to do when mine is on the road is balance the brakes front to rear. Having those pressure gauges seem like a really good aid to doing that.

I'll look forward to your future photos on the louvers.

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 25, 2022, 3:15 pm 

Thanks so much for the compliments! It does look great...from 10' away! I am not too skilled at the finish work, but it is good enough for me. I sometimes work on the aerospace world (SpaceX mostly these days), but tend to spend more time in the heavy equipment side of the business nowadays (I'm mostly helping Caterpillar.)

The aerospace and welding "skills" are self taught because I like this kinds of stuff. Here are some louver details.....pardon the crude wrapping and fab work....again great from 10' away!

PostPosted: June 25, 2022, 4:18 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

What is the original application for the front grill material and where did you get it?

PostPosted: June 25, 2022, 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the additional photos, James.

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 26, 2022, 7:30 am 

KB58 wrote:
What is the original application for the front grill material and where did you get it?

For the grill and upper vent, I used a sheet like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/203972293508?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=e9mUanvmQ8q&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=pk9r5QKMQkW&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or search " Universal Black ABS Plastic Racing Honeycomb Hex Mesh Grill Spoiler Bumper Vent " if the link doesn't work. It is a 120cm X 40cm sheet with 3cm X 1cm openings.

For the vents on the side of the hood (bonnet), I used wire mesh from a mesh waste basket.

PostPosted: June 26, 2022, 9:38 am 

LongIsland Locost wrote:
. . . For the vents on the side of the hood (bonnet), I used wire mesh from a mesh waste basket.

:thmbsup: Excellent Locost touch!

Cheers,

PostPosted: June 27, 2022, 12:58 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

LongIsland Locost wrote:
KB58 wrote:

For the grill and upper vent, I used a sheet like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/203972293508?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=e9mUanvmQ8q&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=pk9r5QKMQkW&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Or search " Universal Black ABS Plastic Racing Honeycomb Hex Mesh Grill Spoiler Bumper Vent " if the link doesn't work. It is a 120cm X 40cm sheet with 3cm X 1cm openings.

For the vents on the side of the hood (bonnet), I used wire mesh from a mesh waste basket.

Thanks for the link. It's always good to have more options for grills and vents.

PostPosted: June 28, 2022, 10:41 am 

I went back and looked at your long (build sequence) video on YouTube. Good stuff.

When I get to the final chassis weld of all my suspension pieces, tabs, etc., I'll need to get my chassis back on a rotisserie again. The one I built was literally made from junk materials I had in the garage. It's been sitting in a side yard, out in the salt air for years now. I doubt it is salvageable. I liked the one you built. I may use that as a model for a new one.

Cheers, and safe driving;

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next