LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: AWD subaru build
PostPosted: March 11, 2016, 7:19 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

You have been busy!

If the flex pipe is not stainless, it will rust solid after a few runs and you may wish the mufflers were isolated. Maybe there is a braided flex section buried in there?

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: March 12, 2016, 2:32 pm 

Currently yes the aft is a bit light but with the final rear structure and rear wing/diffuser I'm hoping the rear will be manageable. The weighing will be soon so I will know exactly where my bias is.

The flex exhaust is stainless, it should hold up ok. But if not I have a plan b exhaust.

Overall car is doing well, put the rear tire blast shields in to protect driver and passenger from tire bursts. I'm a huge fan of safety.

More photos to come!

PostPosted: April 10, 2016, 2:23 pm 

If everything go's well then it may very well start today.
New diff and transmission fluid. New oil, distilled water and water wetter. CV joints and drive shaft installed. Basic Camber, caster and toe in adjustments done. We have done some hill runs and brakes and suspension are great and good for preliminary testing.

Here she sits before I took her down last night. Cross your fingers!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 11, 2016, 8:49 am 

And a wiring issue...
We were getting only a single spark at the spark plugs when spinning the starter so the best guess is I forgot to hook up a wire or two. Instead of wasting the day on wires we used my neighbors quad to push us up and down a hill to test brake bias and suspension characteristics. No issue with brakes, great stopping power on stock forester pads and rotors, can lock up all 4 tires if you want to.
Overall handles well, doing solum at 35mph it had a bit of a tendency to want to break the rear lose. Tires and rims on right now are junk and the tire wall deflection was not helping. Could have definitely spun it I I wanted to hut once it starts to slide is predictable and easily managed, looking forward to 50 and 70 mph solums in the future.

Great now I get to spend days on wires... again.

PostPosted: April 17, 2016, 8:47 pm 

Well it works!
I had some grounding and neutral issues but once they were sorted out she purrs like an angry kitten.

Spending the next few days making the wire runs, switches and instrument cluster as I like it before her first powered run.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbS29PfGWKY

Cheers

PostPosted: April 17, 2016, 9:23 pm 

Congratulations! The first start is one of the major milestones.

PostPosted: April 18, 2016, 1:10 am 

Priceless video start up, love it! You can't buy grins like that. :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 7:39 pm 

So I'm not dead...

Just been working wiring and other nick macks to get it running on the street.

Here is my latest test run from sunday...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z-nZUg1ZpfM

Having a small issue with wiring, camshaft position sensor coupled with a funky VSS is limiting my rpm to about 4000. Even with 4000 though it's quite quick off the line, though I have not done any real hard tests yet.

Looking forward to some more wire fun and getting her to some track and autocross days once I fully vett the motor and suspension with more parking lot tests. Also super fun AWD on my gravel driveway, but rocks hurt when they impact....

Anyone got a good link to rear light modules. I plan to make it street legal eventually and want to start looking and pricing out options. Can't wait to deal with WA dmw to get it registered....

Thanks all I'll keep updating if you all are intersted.

Body work to come this winter.

PostPosted: May 10, 2016, 9:21 pm 

surferjohnhawaii wrote:
Well it works!
I had some grounding and neutral issues but once they were sorted out she purrs like an angry kitten.

Spending the next few days making the wire runs, switches and instrument cluster as I like it before her first powered run.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbS29PfGWKY

Cheers

Hopefully your not going to run that box fan on the street! :D

Look good sir

You can build the most awesome thing in the world but at some point, an 80yr old man in a crx is probably going kick your butt on the track... don't ask me how I know.

PostPosted: October 4, 2016, 3:32 pm 

It's been months since my last post and I'm sorry.

I have been having tons of ecu and tuning issues and they have finally been resolved.

Updated:
New ecu and speed sensors to clear codes
Multiple tunes to get reliable 300hp and 300 ftlbs torque, but still running rich.
Built rear wing and wing mounts
Did suspension adjustments at mini skid pad
Multiple launches and rpm tests
New hawk pads and slotted rotors to improve braking
Took it to the track and dominated, caught porche's, bmws, lotus, evos, sti's, etc.

Still need a body and some anti roll bars to make it eve faster. Posted a 1.56 Lap time at the ridge motorsports park on just basic tires.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 19, 2016, 1:40 pm 

After reviewing the data and talking with some other subaru racers and factory five 818 owners, it looks like I have to dry sump my motor. The data is showing very high sustainable g forces (on street tires with no aero) and I'd rather not risk oil starvation and a new motor.

Also beefing up the side impact zones and revamping the rear tire protection areas as I greatly overestimated the tire expansion and suspension movement on track. (Photo)

More updates to come as I install the dry sump, pressure and temp sensors, and other new gauges.

Still need a body, dyno tune and some cleaning up of the overall wires.

It's been 2 years since I started, and it's been great, just hope the work slows down after 3 so I can race it more!

PostPosted: November 21, 2016, 3:32 pm 

I have enjoyed watching this build, very innovative and resourceful. I am looking forward to seeing more progress

PostPosted: March 29, 2017, 11:12 am 

A bit of a teaser post with photos. More will come with more details and photos of the install and final config.

The dry sump system is in, after 4 darn months of tube design, testing and analysis. I went a bit overboard to ensure no possible engine with a 3 gallon oil tank feeding the engine with a -16an tube. Two -12an suction lines scavenge the dry sump pan and one -12an line sends that scavenge oil from the scavenge pump to the tank. And one more -12an line for crank ventilation to the tank to ensure engine ventilation and pressure. Added a few pressure and temp sensors to monitor the engine and tank to verify operating Temps before races. Btw, Amazon.com is amazing and where I got most of my hose and fittings, cheeper than the manufacturer sites!

Also re did the intake and added some additional heat isolation(even more to come). Working on the wiring and cleaning up some other items before testing season.

PostPosted: April 2, 2017, 8:31 pm 

I forgot you weren't far from here, and wish I had been paying closer attention as your build progressed. Glad to see you've made such spectacular progress. I bet it's quite the ride. Any ideas on body work yet? If you're ever down in the Seattle (East Side) area with it, I'd love to see it first hand.

Also, I know the rear wheel should help with a side impact, but I would consider taking a closer look at the side pod tube that appears to be aimed straight at your kidney.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 2:04 pm 

hows the progress been?

I plan to start a Ej powered awd car here shortly. Still in my intel and planning stage. Intentions are to be street legal in PA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6