LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: May 25, 2017, 5:50 am 

wkeeling wrote:
water pump and thermostat housing, thermostat, timing belt replaced this weekend. Wife is getting a new car in a few months and says her Porsche and new Mercedes get the garage so need to find a new home for the Locost.

Well, then if she is getting the existing garage for her TWO cars, you should get a NEW garage for your ONE......or maybe a new wife....no, that would be too expensive, and you couldn't afford to keep the Locost or a new garage.....damn.

PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 7:14 pm 

The new owner sent me pic of it after he hit a cow :(

Attachment:
IMG_1624.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1625.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 14, 2018, 7:39 pm 

wkeeling wrote:
I did not add it up until i was almost done as I did not want to know until it was too late. :) it was the first time I went to coffee and cars -- wow some nice stuff. I would love one of those Venom GT but I do not have $600K. I live only one block from Marq-e so i hope it stays there.

I am looking add building a Hennessy Venom clone now but that will be about 100K (best guess). So having a hard time pulling the trigger.

PostPosted: August 18, 2018, 11:44 am 
Always Moore!

wkeeling wrote:

And I thought the doe I hit was bad! Looks like it didn't make it into the cockpit.

PostPosted: August 18, 2018, 1:48 pm 

a.moore wrote:
wkeeling wrote:

And I thought the doe I hit was bad! Looks like it didn't make it into the cockpit.

Thankfully, no. The cow hair is all on the outside of the car. It ended up being a glancing blow.

The frame buckled in a few spots around the front driver's corner and the mounting points were torn out. Believe it or not, the car is still fluid tight. The insurance company adjuster is wading through it right now but a little over his head. The car will hopefully drive again eventually. Definitely going to require some fabrication and body work.

PostPosted: August 18, 2018, 2:21 pm 

I bet that one won't buff out.

Hope the owner is OK.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 18, 2018, 4:22 pm 

rx7locost wrote:

Hope the owner is OK.

I am the owner. Other than some minor bruising from the harness, I was fine. No issues to report thankfully.

PostPosted: August 19, 2018, 4:11 pm 

3-Phase wrote:
I am the owner. Other than some minor bruising from the harness, I was fine. No issues to report thankfully.

Glad to hear. Welcome! :cheers:

PostPosted: August 20, 2018, 10:05 am 

3-Phase wrote:
rx7locost wrote:

Hope the owner is OK.

Glad to hear that you are OK.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 20, 2018, 9:48 pm 

Yet another example of how *tough* the basic 7 design is. A few weekends' work, and could be back on the road. (and graphic proof the builder did a good job, of course!)

PostPosted: August 21, 2018, 2:43 am 

TRX wrote:
Yet another example of how *tough* the basic 7 design is. A few weekends' work, and could be back on the road. (and graphic proof the builder did a good job, of course!)

You are spot on. The builder did a great job.

Unfortunately, the frame is fairly hurt - as is expected when a 1240 pound car hits a 600+ pound animal. I had some time this weekend to really look at the damage. Basically everything forward of the engine is either bent or destroyed. Absolutely nothing is straight if it had anything to do with the front suspension. The passenger side upper frame tube has moved about 1/2" and the driver's side is visibly buckled. The driver's side front suspension mounts tore from the frame. Several gussets and mounting plates cracked either at the weld or on the surrounding metal. The whole driver's front corner suspension was destroyed. All of the rod ends, shock, end link, fender mount, wheel, sway bar, and tie rods are bent or broken on that corner.

The car will likely need to be cut at the engine mounts or dash and fabricated from scratch at that point forward. All of the fiberglass bits are repairable. The driver front fender is badly broken so it won't be worth repairing unless it's not replaceable. Willie did a pretty solid job of documenting his build and I'm hoping to use this thread for guidance.

The hood was punctured by the broken wheel after the suspension yielded. I was going about 55 miles per hour when the impact happened. From the point of impact to the skid plate touch down was measured at 39 feet. The exhaust system has a large hole at the header. I need to examine the harness and seat mounting brackets for signs of deformation.

The insurance company is working on their estimate currently and I will be very interested to see how they handle it. I plan to fix the car in some way, shape, or form.

One thing is for sure: If the car drives again, it will have some unbelievable driving lights for the deserted back roads.

PostPosted: August 8, 2019, 1:48 am 

Kaching! 3-Phase just sent me an order for suspension parts. The big question is going to be chassis repair.
rx7locost wrote:
As it turns out, you can't buff a cow. I know this because I googled <how to buff a cow> and despite 58,700,000 results, none of the first hundred had anything really relevant to the subject. I did learn <how to buff a cow in minecraft> and <how to wash a cow>, but nothing specific to bringing back that new cow sheen after hitting one with a Locost.

PostPosted: April 14, 2022, 2:50 pm 

Fun update, I've purchased the car and will be using it for parts for a Tesla-powered build.

The chassis will be a great reference for our new one. Base chassis are so simple, but the tough part of making a solid model is knowing where to add all the little tabs and detailed things. I also already very much appreciate the use of welded nuts and rivnuts for most bolted components.

Engine will come out today and we'll start fitting the Tesla drive this evening.

PostPosted: June 9, 2022, 12:22 am 

Made it to a show! Sadly, had some significant delays in battery and bms shipping and it's still not running.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13