LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tundra 7 442
PostPosted: April 19, 2015, 9:54 am 

Got the new bracket made as well as the diagonal measurements for a cross check. That came out within 1/16". The straight line front to back came out within 3/32". Mounted the spindles and the overall track is too wide. 1-1/2" overall. Damn it!!!. Where, how, I don't know. I'll fix it next week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: April 19, 2015, 9:57 am 

I just figured out the picture thing. The size of the older posts were too big. I made the last one smaller and it orientated it perfect. So I have to mail them to me smaller size and then save it then post. :BH:

PostPosted: May 1, 2015, 8:33 pm 

I had the day off today and mocked up the upper control arms. worked out pretty well. I do have to shorten an arm to get the camber, siting at 6 degrees of caster and 0 camber. task is to shorten the small tube and weld it out and make it look more appealing with the sanding disc. I love those things!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Tundra 7 on May 2, 2015, 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: May 1, 2015, 8:35 pm 

ok this program really is pissing me off. the orientation of pictures coming off iPhone sucks.

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 1:03 am 
Toyotaphobe

I never have a problem with orientation. It still appears that you are not holding the phone in the standard way. When you take a landscape picture the big button at the bottom of the iPhone should be on the right side, not the left side.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 1:36 am 

Hey Steve,

What I see looks good. I'm thinking you will wind up with what you want as far as geometry goes.

Me being a lousy photographer is the main reason I didn't do a build log. Even though I did use a real camera, not a phone. My cousin has an Iphone and his photos are pretty good. He doesn't try to post them here however.

Cheers

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 6:36 am 

carguy123 wrote:
I never have a problem with orientation. It still appears that you are not holding the phone in the standard way. When you take a landscape picture the big button at the bottom of the iPhone should be on the right side, not the left side.

Hi carguy, yes home button on bottom. I also looked for rotate on preview screen and couldn't find one. I did this post on my iMac, now when I look at this post on my phone their all perfect.

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:25 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
carguy123 wrote:

Hi carguy, yes home button on bottom. I also looked for rotate on preview screen and couldn't find one. I did this post on my iMac, now when I look at this post on my phone their all perfect.

Fixed it!!! yeah. I ran the pictures through a different camera app on the phone. :cheers:

PostPosted: May 2, 2015, 7:34 am 

I knew I was in for it when I decided to use the round tube, in that the brackets where going to be a challenge. I can't lie. It absolutely is a challenge. I am also seeing that the ackerman angles may not be all that steep. I honestly don't know what I need at this point for good angles. Doing some looking at it last night and looks like about 15-20 degrees from spindle to inner tie rod end. the steering rack will not sit behind the axle center at all, may be even , but not behind. Hopefully next week end I'll have the other side done.

PostPosted: May 4, 2015, 1:06 am 

Those rear suspension links need to be in double shear and of significant strength to hang the car (x2 or more) by them.

PostPosted: May 4, 2015, 6:55 pm 

Tundra,

Staniforth suggests that the included angle between the steering arm and the track-rod end be 75 degrees for 100 percent Ackermann on a front steer car. The angle between the rack axis and the track rod end is immaterial.

PostPosted: May 4, 2015, 8:14 pm 

Thanks Warren. I had to go look at the car. not going to happen. Partial Ackerman ill have to settle for. thanks for the info. I"ll work to make that happen.

PostPosted: May 11, 2015, 6:41 pm 
Always Moore!

I think you're going to have issues with those upper front arms. Since the two inner bolts aren't on the same axis, you're asking for a lot of deflection from the bushing. You can get away with that orientation with rod-ends since they have three degrees of freedom but bushings really only give you one degree (rotation about the bolt's axis).

PostPosted: May 11, 2015, 6:59 pm 

[quote="a.moore"]I think you're going to have issues with those upper front arms. Since the two inner bolts aren't on the same axis, you're asking for a lot of deflection from the bushing. You can get away with that orientation with rod-ends since they have three degrees of freedom but bushings really only give you one degree (rotation about the bolt's axis).[/quote

So free movement doesn't account for anything? Just asking. I follow I don't see the deflection.

PostPosted: May 11, 2015, 7:35 pm 

Quote:
I think you're going to have issues with those upper front arms. Since the two inner bolts aren't on the same axis, you're asking for a lot of deflection from the bushing. You can get away with that orientation with rod-ends since they have three degrees of freedom but bushings really only give you one degree (rotation about the bolt's axis).

I was just looking at that too. As I followed down the page, I saw your comment. I agree 100%.

As far as not "seeing" it, you don't really have to put your head around it in theory right now. Simply tighten up the outer clevis and disconnect the control arm ball joint from the upright. Then "feel" the interference as you move the control arm up and down. You will rapidly understand.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 63  Next