LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently November 18, 2017, 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: SBC +442e build
PostPosted: September 15, 2017, 10:30 pm 

One more rod end showed up today. That makes four. They still show two more packages to be delivered. This after I cancelled the order. Blows ones mind. And wouldn't you know it, all four that showed up are left hand. All I need is two right hand so I can make up my box section for the dog bones. Is that asking too much?.... :BH: Well, at least Mcmaster delivers when they say they will. My plexiglass for the dash showed up yesterday. So I got started laying out the dash on that. I used the bezel from the '88 Camaro as a pattern. Once I had it traced out, I looked at it and remembered why I had originally considered the Speedhut gauges... If you run the top or the bottom square, parallel to the top or bottom, the opposite side is WAY out of square. Like, 3/16" out in what, 10 inches? Mulled it over, and decided on this: I used a slide square to establish a distance from the top edge of the plexiglass to the bottom of one of the Tach. Then I slid it over, and rotated the bezel to get the speedometer at the same distance. That makes the two most obvious gauges parallel and level. Then I traced them out, along with the other gauges, screw holes, and an outline of the bezel for reference. I won't use the factory bezel. When I make up the carbon fiber piece, I'll just drill out the holes for it, and cut out for the gauges. This way, even if the housing is slightly askew, the gauges are level and parallel, and if the screws are not, there really is not any reference line for them to align to and won't be noticeable. Well, not to anyone else, anyway. With that laid out, I cut it out for the steering column.
Speaking of the column, I got a nice solid support made up for that. The column is from a 2000-ish fourth gen. Camaro, and it is pretty long. For best position, wheel height, etc., I ended up pretty much laying it across the top of the bottom scuttle tube and firewall tube, and raising the point at the scuttle tube about 3/4". It puts the end of the column a bit close to the factory exhaust header, but I may get some block hugger headers to help with that, and may have to fabricate a heat shield. We'll see. The upshot is that the end points almost exactly at the FU1 tube. A u-joint on the column, short piece of DD, a carrier bearing on the FU1, another u-joint, 12" of DD or so, one more u-joint and it drops right into the rack.

PostPosted: September 19, 2017, 9:10 pm 

A few updated pictures, you know, to prove it actually happened... :roll:

Attachments:
File comment: Column across engine bay.
SteeringColumn2.jpg
SteeringColumn2.jpg [ 1.71 MiB | Viewed 291 times ]
File comment: Steering column support. Drilled and sleeved them for extra strength.
SteeringColumn.jpg
SteeringColumn.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 291 times ]
File comment: I think I can actually use the bezel. The offset will never be noticeable with it installed here. Probably do something with it to make it look better, though.
dash.jpg
dash.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 291 times ]
File comment: Bellhousing Clearance
BellhousingClearance.jpg
BellhousingClearance.jpg [ 1.89 MiB | Viewed 291 times ]

PostPosted: September 20, 2017, 4:31 pm 

Hey, you couldn't ask for a better view of those gauges. That instrument panel look like it was practically made for your Locost. Nice fit.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: September 20, 2017, 4:37 pm 

You have to get lucky once in a while! I think I've actually gotten lucky a few times this year on this project, so I'm probably done for the year. :wink: We'll find out if the streak continues in a few days, I just put the ball in motion to order a Haynes nose from Jack.

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 3:56 pm 

Looks good! Curious how low your engine sits below the frame. Right now I'm oil pan flat with the frame on my 350 but I cut the top firewall bar for bellhousing clearance. I plan to make a bolt in brace later.

PostPosted: September 27, 2017, 4:21 pm 

Cardot60 wrote:
Looks good! Curious how low your engine sits below the frame. Right now I'm oil pan flat with the frame on my 350 but I cut the top firewall bar for bellhousing clearance. I plan to make a bolt in brace later.

I'm right at 1-1/2" below the pan, at the bottom of the drain bolt / bellhousing. I plan on running a 6 to 6-1/2 ride height, so that should be good for ground clearance and still may yet get the tuned port under the hood...maybe. You may want to look at the Corvette oil pan if you want to drop the engine another inch. After that, the bellhousing becomes the limiting factor.

PostPosted: September 30, 2017, 8:56 am 

Quite the busy week, but did get some work done on the car. I had to install a gauge board type tank gauge on a 150,000 gallon storage tank (Basically a big tape measure on the side of the tank). They sent it with all of the attaching hardware, including these nice L shaped brac*ets that get welded to the tank. Since this was a replacement, the brackets were already on the tank. So I have about a dozen or so of these nice 1/8" or so thick brac*ets just left over. Found a home for three of them right away. Cut the one leg down to 1" on all three, and the second leg on the third one to about 2", welded them together, and made a stiff, ribbed base for the pedals. Drilled four holes, and bolted them to the new bra*ket. Clamped a piece of plate to the lower crossmember and set the assembly in place. I can't say I'm thrilled at this point with the floor mounted units, but swing pedals are not an option with the steering column where it is, which determines where the gauge cluster ends up.... Maybe once it's done and I'm driving it, I'll get used to them. There is, however ample room for my feet, with adequate spacing of the pedals.
Then, on Friday, a guy that I do some certification work for had his final testing session for the guys that were left, and he shut down the business, as he got a nice job at PSE&G.(Or as we know it, Park, Sleep, Eat, and Go home) :wink: I swapped him $1,600 worth of invoicing for a Miller XMT-304 that was in great condition, as well as a Millermatic 30a spool gun, stick leads, 200# of fresh E7018 stick electrodes, and some other misc. stuff. A good week, all in all!

Attachments:
File comment: Pedals in Situ.
Pedals in Situ.jpg
Pedals in Situ.jpg [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: Bottom of Brac*et
BottomOfBracket.jpg
BottomOfBracket.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 191 times ]
PostPosted: October 2, 2017, 7:37 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo! Nice lookin' pedal mounts. Like you, I'm not used to floor mounted pedals, but they seem to work just fine in Porsches, so they can't be all bad... I guess... I agree, after you drive the car for a while, they will probably not even be noticeable. (Because you'll be having too much fun!)

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 17, 2017, 8:16 pm 

So I just heard from Jack, and my Haynes nose is going to ship on Monday! 8) It's starting to look like the week between Christmas and New Years is going to be VERY productive! The Man Cave is going to be crowded with the 7 AND the Vicky chassis for Juniors build. :thmbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13