LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 12:15 pm 

I like the homemade grille. Looks a lot like how I did mine. :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 1:02 pm 

rx7locost wrote:
I like the homemade grille.

I do too. I have the same nosecone, was going to ask were he got it from so I could get one too, then saw that he'd made it.

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 2:58 pm 

Not to steal this build log, making your own grille is a fun little diversion project. Not too difficult. My design was a homage to bith the Lotus and the Rotary engine that I used. Any "design" will work with this method. From my build:

Quote:
I have completed the grill that I designed earlier. The "7" is from sheet steel brazed to couple of steel rods for support. The outer ring, the horizontal pieces and the shapes were made from 1/4" galvanized brake line. Each part was tack welded at the rear and then brazed to complete each joint. 4 threaded pieces were brazed on the back, Then it was painted. Holes drilled in the fiberglass for the 4 threaded posts, then nutted in place.

I later added 1/2" mesh behind the grille to protect the radiator better.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 8, 2020, 4:28 pm 

Shevalev wrote:

The grille is finished after hours of welding, grinding, filing, sanding, and more of the above :BH:

rx7locost wrote:
Not to steal this build log, making your own grille is a fun little diversion project. Not too difficult.

I think I'm leaning more Alex's direction with how "fun" it would be....

Alex's looks very similar to Robs, which looked good as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm a bit further along.

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 3:30 am 

It's been a while since I posted last, so I thought of changing that trend.

So, I ended up finishing off the cooling system. It involved a lot of trips to Lordco and many radiator hoses to make it fit this build. I decided to also go with a more eloquent way to mount the fan and made my own brackets.

The trunk/boot has taken a lot of time to get all of the bends right, but slowly it has come to look presentable. It consists of 7 section and will probably have many more. I am thinking of fabricating a cover over the fuel cell as part of the trunk compartment. Sadly, it will be able to only fit 2 flats of pop. :BH:

Most of the bodywork has been finished, with the hood and tail sections bent and formed. I now need to figure out how to fabricate a hood scoop or source a plastic one from somewhere.

The wipers have also been installed. I ended up using the kit from specialty power windows. Even though this is a kit, it was difficult to install in such a small space, yet alone mounting to 0.032 sheet metal. I had to make a bracket under the scuttle which connects the two wipers to eliminate the flex in the sheetmetal.

For comfort, I made a pedal brace. It is more ergonomic and as my heels are in line with the pedal pivot point, it eliminates most of the sliding when pressing.

The dash has also been modified. Some additions include indicator lights. I now have to find a place to mount the brake bias knob for both master cylinders.

I also got some rims from American Muscle. The fronts are FR500 9x17, with a 245/40/17 tire which later will be a 275/40/17, and the rears are 10.5x17 - 315/35/17. The car looks really wide with both rears installed.

I ended up ordering a kit from Wilwood for my front brakes (140-9919-DR). I am planning on running in the front 6 piston callipers with 12.88 inch rotors. Eventually, I will get the rears, which will be 4 piston callipers with a 12.19 inch rotor. The rears will also have a stand alone parking brake.

I'll start posting more regularly as I have more time on my hands. Hope all of you are well!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 6:47 am 

Looking awesome. I like the detail you’ve picked out in the hardware. Gauges, knobs. All looks great. Hey If you ever want any pro photos of this when your done, my sister is in Manhattan, she takes great photos. She’s also a big fan of sevens.

My build : http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtop ... 35&t=17160

MGB/GT V8 5.0L. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20782

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 10:52 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
....my sister is in Manhattan, she takes great photos.

Bit of a jaunt for some photos. :)

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 10:56 am 

Trochu wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:
....my sister is in Manhattan, she takes great photos.

Bit of a jaunt for some photos. :)

Is it? Not in New York?

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 11:32 am 

Tundra 7 wrote:
Is it? Not in New York?

Not unless Alex moved...

He started the build in Vancouver.

PostPosted: July 30, 2020, 11:38 am 

Trochu wrote:
Tundra 7 wrote:
Is it? Not in New York?

Not unless Alex moved...

He started the build in Vancouver.

HA,HA All those big cities look a like.

PostPosted: August 16, 2020, 12:22 am 

Some recent changes have happened and the build is coming closer to being done.

I made some spacers for the front suspension heim joints. Ended up making an eloquent way to make them conical.
The front upper balljoint plates got trimmed to allow for the correct fitment of the wheels and brakes.
I have also found a clean way to separate the brake lines. The separators were made out of a life board and the delrin was very easy to work with.
The nose cone was also trimmed and it was delightful to be itching after for the rest of the day :BH:
Lastly, the brakes came and the steering angle is quite something.

Without further ado, enjoy.

Steve: Thank you for the offer. If I do road trip in that area, I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 16, 2020, 8:51 am 

I really live the pedal brace. May have to look at that for my build. And the added front spoiler on the nose is a nice touch!

Thom

PostPosted: August 18, 2020, 3:17 am 

Big news today! The car is officially rolling. I made a few final tweaks to the build today and ended up settling it on its tires. its a great feeling!
Now, the tedious work starts - all that I didn't do to 100% will now have to be revisited, starting with the pedal brace mounting :BH:

PostPosted: August 19, 2020, 10:59 am 

The car posing in the apartment with the city view in the background is priceless!
Your build shop is definitely one of a kind.
What floor did you say you lived on?
BTW congrats on the roller :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 20, 2020, 12:30 am 

A roller in the living room, with a VIEW. Love the concept! Congratulations on the milestone. :cheers:

Quote:
The nose cone was also trimmed and it was delightful to be itching after for the rest of the day :BH:
Amen, brother! The nose cone looks great and I've been stalking your grill design since you first posted it. Even have a full size layout of a wider version plus a hand full of brake line just waiting for a winter day project. :D

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next