LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 25, 2024, 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stalker BMW build
PostPosted: March 17, 2019, 9:11 am 

Looking really nice!

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 18, 2019, 8:28 am 

I wanna hear that exhaust

PostPosted: May 26, 2019, 5:03 pm 

Finished the trunk, a frustratingly slow chunk of the car. I spent a lot of time way back at the start of the project moving components around to make sure I could have a trunk that would hold at least a couple helmets and a weekend bag. I didn't realize how much effort would be required to actually make it into, you know, a trunk! There are probably 11 individual panels back there and 4 of them have to be removable for service. Nothing is square and there were few fixed pieces to take dimensions off of at the start. It turned out really well but it sucked to work for 6 weeks in a row and only finally see progress this weekend (trunk lid and fuel filler). This is way too many pics for a trunk but after 6 weeks of work I had to have something to show for it.

Ever have a bad tank of argon? It's a first for me but screwed me over on about 3 aluminum mandrel bends for the radiator plumbing. I thought the first set of bends was just crap chinese aluminum so I bought from a different company. I was encouraged that this company advertised "good metal, OK to weld." Made me think the problem with the first set was common. Those didn't weld any better. Literally foams up with any rod. I thought it was the metal because I could switch to just laying a bead in the middle of a piece of known good aluminum and it started gross but I could eventually get a decent bead so I thought it was just contamination working out of the Tungsten from the crap aluminum. I gave up on using aluminum thinking all the small tubing was coming from the same place and bought thin wall stainless instead. Fast forward to welding the filler neck on the gas tank today and I finally realized it was not the metal. Switched argon tanks and it was instantly back to perfect welding. Now I need to go argue with Airgas.

Filed under "stalker distractions" I went ebaying for a new rear shock for my Aluminum 2012 Epic MTB and found one attached to a 2012 carbon S-Works frame and fork. It was an awesome deal. Paint was smoked so I used the opportunity to make it match the new Shock color Camaro that I am loving right now. Turned out awesome and rides noticeably better. Lost 2 lbs in the process as well.

Image[/url]

Alex

PostPosted: May 26, 2019, 7:31 pm 
We are Slotus!

Might fine trunk ya got there, Bro! Funny how sometimes the "simple" things ain't what they seem... But, looks like you made it all work out in the end. Good on ya!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 26, 2019, 10:33 pm 

ajmacdon wrote:
I didn't realize how much effort would be required to actually make it into, you know, a trunk!

You should have fabricated a boot, way easier! :lol:
But a trunk it is and a mighty fine looking one to boot :cheers:

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: September 22, 2019, 8:01 pm 

Been super busy with work this summer but also plugging away for a few hours each weekend on the Stalker.

Brake and clutch plumbing are 100% done, a bunch more aluminum panels are done, hood latch cables are done, some other stuff I'm sure.

I am going for a 1960's look on the engine with the ITB's. To give the look of fuel lines to each "carb" I'm doing the idle air circuit out of hard line. So far I'm thrilled with how it's turning out. Should look awesome when the ITB's are painted carb color and the velocity stacks are polished. Just need to spend a ton of time on the valve cover eventually to make it look less plastic.

This engine from Goodwood is my rough inspiration. Obviously a lot of differences but sort of a guide.

Also finished the cup holders (I know! gasp.). I try to avoid visible welds since I'm not that great at it but I couldn't figure a way around these so I just held my breath. They turned out good enough to be visible under some textured black paint that I plan to use on the aluminum interior panels.

Getting close to being ready to blow it apart and start over like a regular kit car! Still mounting a few fuel system components and I need to swallow the big bill for oil plumbing. Trying to decide where in the process electrical fits. I think I'll hard mount everything now but wire it on final assembly?

Alex

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 7:54 am 

In regards to the wiring question, I created the "looms" that go from the dash to the front and to the rear using something like this
Attachment:
loom1.jpg
. I didnt terminate everything but I wanted to be able to place the wire holders where needed before final welding and painting. I also used a solid black loom and one with a white thread in it so I could differentiate the front looms from the rear because behind the dash gets "busy" with all the wires depending on how you build your dash.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16005

PostPosted: September 23, 2019, 11:28 am 

Yeah, Alex, that engine compartment could really be interesting. I see from your Goodwood example, it's not in you mind right now, but I see some Steampunk/Rat Rod possibilities with that copper tubing. Polished up and covered with sealer (clear epoxy or polymer?) it could really set things off. Using the velocity stacks to complement or contrast with it could be real cool too.

As to the cup holders, I say it must have been a long, hard drinking, weekend for you to escape comment on those thus far. :mrgreen: As for myself, I say it's your car, you built it, do what you what the heck you want. :thmbsup:

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 26, 2019, 3:26 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Yeah, Alex, that engine compartment could really be interesting. I see from your Goodwood example, it's not in you mind right now, but I see some Steampunk/Rat Rod possibilities with that copper tubing. Polished up and covered with sealer (clear epoxy or polymer?) it could really set things off. Using the velocity stacks to complement or contrast with it could be real cool too.

As to the cup holders, I say it must have been a long, hard drinking, weekend for you to escape comment on those thus far. :mrgreen: As for myself, I say it's your car, you built it, do what you what the heck you want. :thmbsup:

Cheers,

Yeah, something south of steam-punk but north of high tech modern engine is where I'm headed, good call. I think a scotch-brite finish rather than polished get's me what I want on that scale.

Alex

PostPosted: December 1, 2019, 10:55 pm 

Lots of progress since last time. It's basically a kit car now with everything fabricated and loosely bolted together. This is the way you would hope to receive a real kit so maybe just arriving at the starting line but pretty happy with where it's at.

I thoroughly cleaned the garage this afternoon getting ready to start taking it back apart to finish and paint everything. It came together at the end a lot faster than I expected. I've got a LONG time before it's back together in finished form but having no parts left to bolt on feels pretty awesome! (minus a few small things that will be easier with everything apart, headlight install, etc.)

Passenger seat is still stuck in the attic.

Uh, this was before the garage cleaning.

Still loving the home powdercoat kit!

Small heater for the footwells and a basic defroster:

Electronics hardware mounted, no wiring yet, I'll do that on final assembly. The panel is mounted to the frame on rubber isolators and pretty easy to remove, I'll put some bulkhead connectors so it can come out for any major repairs. I was sweating how to get the battery down low and then it showed up in the mail. I went with LIon and it probably weighs less than the megasquirt controller so right on the board is way easier.

Ducting for the radiator, glassed into the hood now.

So, now I need to pick finishes for everything (not trivial), finish weld a lot of things I couldn't reach except to tack (including the whole header), paint and put it all back together...and wire it (300ish circuits, ugh.)

Mostly relieved that there's not too much to worry about anymore, all major 'will this work/fit?' challenges are behind me. Windshield will be a struggle but it's not complicated, just fussy. Dash is pretty easy but I need to go through the motions of mounting everything. The roof can wait until I'm on the road.

I'm still a full year away from when I planned to be done so feeling pretty optimistic at the moment.

Alex

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 12:34 am 

I seee alot of burnt passanger legs in your future. :D

Car looks like it's coming together quite nicely.

PostPosted: December 2, 2019, 12:27 pm 
We are Slotus!

Really nice lookin' car, Bro! Good work, well done!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 3, 2019, 11:19 am 

Really cool build. It took me a minute to figure out the battery. It looks so small and mounting it at that angle is so unusual. Anyway, it all looks very, very good.

Cheers,

PostPosted: December 3, 2019, 12:57 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Really cool build. It took me a minute to figure out the battery. It looks so small and mounting it at that angle is so unusual. Anyway, it all looks very, very good.

Cheers,

I know, they should really change the overall form factor for the LI batteries relative to lead acid so it doesn't make you look like such a fool for mounting it upside down, high in the car, etc. That would kill the retrofit market so I get why they don't but it does look funny.

Alex

PostPosted: December 3, 2019, 7:53 pm 

Very clean and well thought out placement for wiring components :cheers:
Great build, be proud of yourself, a 10%er you are.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next