LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low-Locost ZX10R BEC
PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 12:03 am 

After years of debating if building a Locost is actually something I could get done, I pulled the trigger and started my build on 01/02/2017.

My build table is made of engineered plywood beams. It's topped with 2 sheets of half inch plywood and 4 sheets of 1/8" MDF. Why 4 sheets of 1/8" MDF you ask? Because I got 50+ sheets of it for free. Same with all the material to build the table. It is as flat as can be, as far I can tell anyway.

My donor vehicle was a wrecked 2004 ZX10R I picked up for $300 at the police auction. Within 2 hours of getting it home I sold $400 worth of parts off the bike ($100 in the positive now). A few of the folks I work with recognized the name of the previous owner on the title and was able to give me some info on the bike. I was pleased to find out that it was an adult owned and well taken care of machine. Unfortunately, the previous owner passed when a drunk driver was going the wrong way on the interstate.

I also picked up a whole rear sub frame from a 1989 Toyota Cressida for $100. The whole things weighs a ton (or closer to 300 lbs). I only plan on using the diff, axles, hubs, and brakes.

I haven't decided on front hubs yet. I have a 2 pair to laying around (free) but they might be more work than they are worth. Might have to actually spend some money and buy some.

I'm half way done from being able to say that I'm not even close to being 10% done.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Low-Locost ZX10R BEC
PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 8:23 am 
We are Slotus!

Howdy No_Clue!
Looks like you're off and running. Most of us here are somewhat off as well, so you'll fit right in... :mrgreen:

You called the engine cradle "crude"... Hard to tell from pictures, is is something that you can take a grinder to the welds, cap some open ended tubes, paint it and it'll be good -OR- is it a "I gotta start over" thing? There's no shame in calling it a prototype and building another one. I'd suggest doing it now before you get on down the road with the build and don't want to back-track. But that's just me, and Lord knows I'm no role model. I'm not a model at all... Might be a roll... :rofl:

Either way, welcome to the forum!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 9:55 am 

Nice start on the BEC!!!!
The Cressida rear end looks likes a keeper. The shock mounting and trail arms look like they can easily adopt to the chassis. Just wondering out loud, why this diff set-up has not shown a lot of builder interest? What is the diff ratio?
I'm going to pay attention to this build. Where are you located.
Dave W

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 1:57 pm 

The rear end looks similar to the 1989 Toyota Supra I used I wonder if parts are interchangeable. The axles look the same with the same diff connections. If you get a chance would you weight one for me and tell me how long it is. My supra axles are 20lbs each and the LSD clutch diff is 80lbs making a fairly heavy rear end.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 5:59 pm 
Always Moore!

Wasn't the Cressida essentially a Supra drivetrain under a sedan body? Wouldn't be surprising if they were the same.

PostPosted: January 24, 2017, 9:00 pm 

GonzoRacer: The "crude" cradle should work as it is. I kinda winged the construction of it. Looking at it, I could probably just clean it up and I'll be happy with it.

The Supra used a similar diff that has 2 mounting ears toward the flange. True, the Cressida and Supra both used the 1JZ engine but, if I remember correctly, they had different rear sub frames and control arms. They both utilized a trailing arm set up, though.

wrightcomputing: The axles are roughly 26" from flange to end. I haven't taken them out to weigh them but I will when I'm ready to start the rear suspension.

I haven't decided on my driveshaft yet. Don't know if I wanna get a junk yard shaft or spend the money on a custom one. As it sits, it looks like I'm going to need something in the neighborhood of a 60".

PostPosted: February 1, 2017, 8:21 pm 

It's been slow and steady progress. My garage is only 500 sq/ft and we're also building a 3800 supercharged sand rail. I had to deal with a tree root clogging the main drain in my house. Also I was waiting on a friend to drop of a mig welder. My little Harbor Freight flux core wasn't cutting it.

I have pulled the engine out and got the main section of my chassis welded. I also pulled the cover of my differential and was a little sad to see that it's just an open diff. Didn't count the gears but the pinion turns around 4.75 times for the axles one. That's some pretty deep gearing!

I'm at the point now I have to decide if I'm going to try to modify my DA Integra front spindles or buy a set off a Miata/something. My Integra spindles are from a JDM B16A swap I planned on putting in my old Honda hatchback but, I had a kid, then more kids, and I eventually sold the car and kept the swap. So... It's for sale if anyone in the Omaha NE area wants ;) ;)

If I end up using the Integra spindles I plan on cutting the upper portion down and fabricate something for the upper ball joint to mount. I'd also have to make a "faux axle" to keep the hubs from walking out.

More work should be getting done on my little Locost this weekend and I'll make sure to update my log.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 9, 2017, 9:17 pm 

I've made a little bit of progress in the last week. Decided to go ahead and purchase a pair of Miata spindles as well as a Miata rack and pinion. I ended up using the whole sub frame out of that 89 Cressida. I'm hoping that it's not going to be rear heavy. Fitting it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. The gas tank off the motorcycle was mounted up front. Mainly because it's here and doesn't cost me anything to use it.