LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: October 30, 2017, 11:01 am 

Starting to build in 3D!

Like chips from a bandsaw, so are the Days Of Our Builds.

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 9:25 pm 

Back in the shop for my two-day-a-week-sports-car-build.

I started building the back seat area and the top tubes. Cool weather, nice bright shop, good music, clean straight metal, spending all day long building a car. Does it get much better than that? Most of it went pretty smooth, I only had to cut a couple tack welds to adjust some fitment.

Back tubes are on. I lowered the arm rest tubes (N1, N2) down 5 degrees toward the back, to look more like a Caterham. I also modified the M1, M2 tubes to bring them directly under them for more support.

The front end assembly was a few millimeters off. It didn't quite meet up with the J1 an J2 tubes. I broke the tacks and leaned them back to fit.

This thing looks more like a boat than a car.

How the car ended on day one of my weekend fun.

Everything lines up nicely.

Really love having my own shop space to setup in.

Everything good on the Locost front.

All done after day two of my therapy session.

I don't have the engine yet, so I'm not doing any trans tunnel or things like that yet. So I started some bracing. I'm using 3/4" on the sides. I will be doing much more bracing than the book calls for including Aussie Mods. I like it stiff.

The other end of the brace.

All cleaned up and ready to go home!

PostPosted: November 1, 2017, 9:30 pm 

Here's my video log of the first day's events. I actually didn't take any video on day two. My dad showed up to hang out and it just didn't happen.

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 3:52 pm 

Looking good, you're almost there. Okay, JK. Still, it's great to have those tubes together. The rest are just add-ons.

One piece of advice someone gave me when I was at this same stage in the build was not to place my tacks right in the middle of the joint, but instead tack at the corners. Of course, like all self-confident builders I completely ignored the advice. But I was wrong. I've since learned to tack at the corners. It makes the final welding so much easier.

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 5:20 pm 

"I also modified the M1, M2 tubes to bring them directly under them for more support."

If you're planning on running IRS, you would probably be better off running those two tubes on a diagonal to the end of the bottom rail. You generally want those vertical only if you're planning on running a stick axle. Just sayin'!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 5:34 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
"I also modified the M1, M2 tubes to bring them directly under them for more support."

If you're planning on running IRS, you would probably be better off running those two tubes on a diagonal to the end of the bottom rail. You generally want those vertical only if you're planning on running a stick axle. Just sayin'!
:wink:

I was going to add another support diagonally to the rear for more support. Thanks!

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 5:40 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Looking good, you're almost there. Okay, JK. Still, it's great to have those tubes together. The rest are just add-ons.

One piece of advice someone gave me when I was at this same stage in the build was not to place my tacks right in the middle of the joint, but instead tack at the corners. Of course, like all self-confident builders I completely ignored the advice. But I was wrong. I've since learned to tack at the corners. It makes the final welding so much easier.

I tacked them like that for two reasons. One, it's easier to adjust the tubes if they aren't just right, and two, it is much easier to cut a tack out when it is front and center as opposed to being on corner. If it looks like they will bother me when I start fully welding, I can grind them flat first. I have quite a bit of experience welding, I'm not worried about them. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 5:42 pm 

Hey Steven,

Looking real nice! But as Mike pointed out the M1 and M2 would much better placed by moving the bottom back but that is assuming you plan IRS. Those tubes were vertical to locate the trailing arms for the solid axle.

I too used Miata components and adjusted the M tubes placement. A little more triangulation.
Attachment:
IMG_0372.JPG

You can tell by the photo quality I would only embarrass myself if I had a build log.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 6:20 pm 

benny_toe wrote:
Hey Steven,

Looking real nice! But as Mike pointed out the M1 and M2 would much better placed by moving the bottom back but that is assuming you plan IRS. Those tubes were vertical to locate the trailing arms for the solid axle.

I too used Miata components and adjusted the M tubes placement. A little more triangulation.

You can tell by the photo quality I would only embarrass myself if I had a build log.

Hmmm, I was going to add another diagonal tube behind it, but it may be just as good to only have the one and have it go all the way to the back.

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 7:22 pm 

'...but it may be just as good to only have the one and have it go all the way to the back."

Plus you'll save a little weight and have a few less joints to weld. And right now, when everything's tacked in place, is a very good time to make changes!

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 7:34 pm 

Now I regret not angling the N tubes down as you have. Too late now.

Cheers

PostPosted: November 2, 2017, 9:39 pm 

Well Larry, now you can live vicariously through Steven!

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 12:05 am 

nick47 wrote:

You got that right Nick, after building 3 cars I fully agree with you, makes final welding a breeze, just have the squirt gun in your hand, not switching back and forth grinding.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: November 3, 2017, 7:01 pm 

horchoha wrote:
nick47 wrote:

You got that right Nick, after building 3 cars I fully agree with you, makes final welding a breeze, just have the squirt gun in your hand, not switching back and forth grinding.

Well, now that I have the big pieces together, I may start tacking the corners. I am more sure of where everything wants to be and nothing should be moving around much. I should heed the advice of the builders who came before, as they have the experience I seek. Thanks for the input guys!

PostPosted: November 5, 2017, 8:46 am 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
Don't let that stop you, Larry! We'd welcome you with open arms at Team Slotus, the home of embarrasing build logs... :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next